Threatening to rehome the dogs

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

spydre

Threatening to rehome the dogs

Post by spydre »

I just saw an episode the other day (UK episode, repeated on Animal Planet, not sure when it was originally taped, but the woman had 6 dogs, and 4 of them were fluffy purebred dogs, can't remember the breed). The owner had kept making excuses not the walk the dogs after Victoria left the first time - usually because it was too hot for the dogs.

So Victoria came back, and I've never heard this out of her mouth before. She talked about re-homing at least 2 of the dogs - an older one, and the biggest trouble maker. Now, I assume that she has mentioned re-homing to other owners before, since she has shown other owners what their local shelters look like. But I've never seen Victoria threaten this on-camera.

Of course, I agree that the owner deserved it. I can see the difference with my one dog if he doesn't get enough excercise between walks and playing, I could only imagine how bad it would be with 6 dogs.

Has anyone seen her threaten this before?
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I have never seen her threaten to rehome a dog bt she has stated in the Peanutbutter episode (US) that it was best to get her a new home. Also, in the other US episode with the Older Jack Russel and the new Black Labrador Retriever she has stated that they were irresponsible with getting a new dog without seeing if it was okay for Bella the JR and that they didn't show they can handle a new dog but they did prove her wrong on that one but never where I have seen he say she was going to take them.

What episode is this, I'm curious now.
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
spydre

Post by spydre »

I really can't remember. I know it was one of the British episodes, and had been edited down to 30 minutes. Truly, I can't say as I blame Victoria for saying what she did, not walking 1 dog is one thing, but when you have 6 dogs, things will get chaotic in a hurry, I would imagine.

I had heard mention somewhere (maybe on these boards?) that she had gone to help Nicolette Sheridan with her dogs, but then I saw footage last night taken by the paparazzi of her dog dragging her down the street, and across the parking lot. But then again, maybe the crowd of paparzzi freaked the dog out.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The episode you are referring to was the lady with the German Spitzes. She was over-indulging them, treating them like small human children, giving them afternoon tea, and ice creams. And she never walked them. Victoria had to get tough with this woman to motivate her to walk the dogs-- she just wasn't quite ambitious enough to get her body outside. But when Victoria showed her what could happen to her dogs (the issue was that if the neighbors complained, the authorities would seize the dogs-- Victoria wasn't threatening to take them, although she did recommend re-homing two, in order to ease some of the burden and reduce conflict). The object lesson of visiting the shelter got through to the woman, and she put forth a stronger effort, and things got better, "and they all lived happily ever after, the end."
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

Tea and Ice cream? Wow, that's all I have to say... :o
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Was she the same woman who gave them warm milk at night to "help them sleep"?

Victoria: "Did they have trouble sleeping before?"
Owner: "Well, no."
Victoria: [incredulous look to camera]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

No, noobs, that was a different episode. That one was with a mini-pin who was weeing all over, even on the bread box. He was clever enough to open the oven and steal a roast out of it. The second dog was a sheltie who was well-behaved. In addition to bedtime milk, she was also giving the dogs chocolate. The woman finally admitted that the min-pin was her "baby substitute," because she was unable to bear children. Victoria had compassion on her and explained that it was all right to love your dogs, but just like human children, they still require discipline and teaching. She finally got the idea, and agreed to change her ways.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh, right, I remember now. Thanks, Fundog!
spydre

Post by spydre »

I remember that episode as well.

I have to admit I'm guilty of trying to baby my dog - though it was worse with Loth - since my boys are practically grown (12 and 14), part of me wants to have that "baby". But I do draw the line - we are actually training Dodger (we didn't do that with Loth other than sit, and somehow she learned not to beg), and the only "people food" we've allowed Dodger so far has been meat, a little broth, and veggies and fruit (although we still can't get him to eat any veggies, raw or cooked, but he loves oranges and bananas, lol).

Also, I've noticed that while Dodger goes over to my hubby and kids and fawns all over them, nibbles on their chin/ear/whatever while licking them, when he comes over to me he just lays by me, or sits on my lap. My husband says that's because he sees them (the boys and my husband) as playmates, but that he respects me. I hope that's the truth! (After all, I've been the one doing the training).

NOrmally, fairly shortly after we get Dodger off the bed and give him his nightly chew, the light goes out - even if we are still watching TV. Last night, the light stayed on for quite a while, and even after the tv went off, we were goofing around in bed - it confused the poor boy. He went over to hubby's side of the bed to make sure everything was okay (he can rest his head on the matress), and hubby was ignoring him. So Dodger came over to my side of the bed, and I gave him a pat and a kiss and told him night night, and he was fine, but he went back to hubby's side of the bed trying to make sure hubby was okay, because Bill hadn't acknowledged him. I really wish I had videotape of that, lol.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, spydre-- my boys are also teens, 13 and 15 (soon to be 16!). I can't have any more children, and had been feeling rather baby hungry of late. I was missing my "little people," lol. Hubby heard my need, and said I could get another dog. And so we have Dottie. The girls fill my need to be the "pre-school mommy," since I'm always trying to think of fun things to do with them. That's the difference, I think-- with my "substitute babies," I'm trying to come up with new ideas to teach them and have fun activities. I don't just let them get away with doing whatever, any more than I did when my humans were small.
spydre

Post by spydre »

Hehehe, I had mentioned to hubby maybe the possibility of when we can afford it getting a second dog so Dodger could have a playmate (since he plays soooo much), but a smaller dog than Dodger, and my husband had to be the practical one and tell the house and the yard are too small for TWO dogs running around in it, lol.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Spydre, my house is only 1462 sq. ft., set on a 1/8 acre lot. Granted, my dogs are smaller than Dodger, at only 21" tall, but yes, we do have a full house now, lol. The boys had been begging for a kitty (our previous cat passed away a few years ago)-- they are STILL begging for a kitty-- but hubby just wasn't/isn't ready for another cat, isn't ready for another litter box. I think Annie is happier with another dog too. And truthfully, there were a lot of other things we really should have done with that adoption fee, instead of getting another dog-- but we put all that off to make me happy. ("If Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy.") And I am indeed VERY happy now. :D Getting Dottie was a great decision-- no regrets.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I just saw the Red & Jasper episode for the 1st time. They are 2 yellow labs and the Dad wkd all day & the Mom had a young baby. Victoria did suggest to the Dad to consider rehoming Red b/c it was too overwhelming for the Mom. Well they managed todeal with the dogs better & teach them manners, so they kept both dogs. If Victoria sees a situation that is not good for the dogs she will definitely suggest re-homing.

Yes that British lady with the 6 dogs would buy each dog a vanilla ice cream cone when the ice cream man came around. I couldn't afford that!
spydre

Post by spydre »

I saw the Red and Jasper show I think last week or so? Yeah, I felt that wasn't really fair that mom had to deal with the dogs all the time when she had a baby to deal with too. She handled it much better than I would have!
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

spydre wrote:I saw the Red and Jasper show I think last week or so? Yeah, I felt that wasn't really fair that mom had to deal with the dogs all the time when she had a baby to deal with too. She handled it much better than I would have!
Even if I could afford that I still wouldn't buy ice cream for my dogs, I would rather try better, healthier snacks for my animals. Ice cream.warm milk and tea...is just going a bit far. :shock: