Fun Discussion - Dog Ownership

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Fun Discussion - Dog Ownership

Post by Nettle »

I thought it would be fun for us all to put our views :D

What is the most difficult aspect of owning a dog?

We live in different countries, keep different dogs and see different problems. Some of us are new owners and some of us are experienced owners.

My biggest problem is people letting their dogs attack mine when we are out on walks. They say their dogs are "only playing" and make no attempt to get them back. Those dogs are not playing, and they give me a lot of trouble.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Other people we encounter trying to tell me what I need to do or doing what they think
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

There are a couple of things that I think are difficult about owning a dog.

One is that when you and your partner aren't on the same page about things, it gets very difficult. My partner and I argue about the dog all the time. She thinks I worry too much and she's of the "he's a dog, he's fine" school of thought. It's never anything serious enough to worry about; she loves the dog as much as I do but she's more cuddly with him whereas I'm obsessed with training/rehabilitating (reactivity) and fulfilling his "dog needs". But it gets trying when she thinks I'm a little too focused on "is he getting enough exercise?" "he's licking his lips, that means he's uncomfortable, stop crowding him" "I'm trying this new method today" "I bought a new harness today" "I want to buy this puzzle toy" and it's all the time. She thinks I'm going overboard, and I think she doesn't realize that he needs more more more more more - we're both too far on either side so that gets difficult at times for us as a team.

The other for me is guilt. I never feel like I'm doing enough. I want a dog walker to come mid-day and walk the dog so bad but we can't afford it - nor can I go home mid-day and do it myself because my commute is too long. I want to move into an apartment with a back yard so there's better space for training and playing off leash but we aren't able to do it financially yet. I want to feed him raw once in a while but my partner won't even consider it (however, we're starting to give him less kibble in order to make room for people food like semi-cooked eggs, chicken, veggies, and more natural stuff). I feel like if I come on this forum and admit that the dog is home all day that I'll be judged as unsuitable for owning a dog because although he gets plenty of exercise before and after work plus weekends, there's too much time during the day that he's alone. Yesterday my partner got home before I did so she walked the dog - which is usually my job. I came home and was really glad that I didn't have to walk the dog - and I felt guilty about that! I feel like if there's some sort of new owner disorder, that I have it.

And the list goes on...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Have a beer, Noobs. And relax, lol! You are doing great, and your partner is equally right-- you gotta learn to take it easy just a little. Perfectionists (also known as "Type A Personalities") are at a greater risk for developing heart disease, a stroke, clinical depression, and cancer.

One thing you should try to remember: Yes, dogs need more exercise than what the "average" owner gives them (you are above average, in case you didn't know). Yes, they need more supervison and attention than a cat. However, they are not human children. It is not illegal (or even irresponsible, really) to leave your dog home without a baby sitter while you are away at work during the day. A lot of dogs are left home alone, and do just fine. They do not require 100% eyeball, round the clock, 24/7 supervision-- unlike the young human.

Give yourself a pat on the back, Noobs. You're doing fine. Gosh, just think what you'd be like if you had a human child-- you'd be a nervous wreck! :shock:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

P.S. Nettle, I'll have to get back to you on this one. I need to think about it (Oh, that everyone should have it so good, as to not be able to answer this question right away!). And the Sandman is hitting me over the head, telling me it's bedtime, NOW! Lol. Good Night, all. :)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Fundog wrote: Gosh, just think what you'd be like if you had a human child-- you'd be a nervous wreck! :shock:
Haha, I KNOW! My partner has told me on more than one occasion that she didn't think I'd be like this until after we had a baby! And thanks for the vote of confidence. :D
Emotions

Re: Fun Discussion - Dog Ownership

Post by Emotions »

Not being able to get away from the fridge because Im surrounded by dogs
Having to hoover in weird places like the oven
Discovering the best way to clean the carpet is with a slicker brush

But the hardest of all has to be having to tell them they're staying at home after they got all excited cos I picked up my keys
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I've had my share of owning some dogs in my life, I would like to say owning a dog is hard when my parents can be ver impatient when one has a small behavior problems, they always think a dog shelter is a salution when one mistake is made from an animal. Do they even know what happens to a pet when at the shelter? :x

Another is, guests, you can't please 'em all with a dog. I find it beter just to ignore them and keep my pet away from the negtive ones. If it were my house..well I would have a better method of deeling with that one. :twisted:
Marley

Post by Marley »

Noobs wrote:There are a couple of things that I think are difficult about owning a dog.

The other for me is guilt. I never feel like I'm doing enough. I want a dog walker to come mid-day and walk the dog so bad but we can't afford it - nor can I go home mid-day and do it myself because my commute is too long. I want to move into an apartment with a back yard so there's better space for training and playing off leash but we aren't able to do it financially yet... I feel like if I come on this forum and admit that the dog is home all day that I'll be judged as unsuitable for owning a dog because although he gets plenty of exercise before and after work plus weekends, there's too much time during the day that he's alone. I feel like if there's some sort of new owner disorder, that I have it.
I feel the same way, especially because so many Rescues rejected me when I looking for a dog. I really can't afford a dog walker, but I have one just to ease my guilt. Oh, I've also had her walk my dog on days when I couldn't take her to the park.

I feel like I don't do enough or spend enough time with my dog. I walk her 2 times a day plus the dog walker walks her mid-day and she goes to the park everyday. She eats better quality food than I do and she has educational toys. I still feel like I should do more.

I also find it difficult when people who have always had dogs roll their eyes when they ask about "my new fangled training techniques"
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I got it. I'm with Emotions: The hardest thing to bear is seeing the look of disappointment in their eyes when they are expecting a walk and I leave without them. It's like a stab right in the chest. (Oh, groan)
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I have found the hardest part of dog ownership (and cat ownership) to be the worry that comes up when the pet is "not well" or showing discomfort. Are they ill? Injured? Is it just a stomach upset or a real illness? I worked at a vet for 8 years so I have a good sense of what is urgent and what is not but also have all the "worst case scenarios" pop up in my mind if anyone shows ANY changes in behaviour..lol.
I usually manage to keep my wits about me and have yet to have any serious anythings happen but I do worry...because they cannot tell me where it hurts, why, if they've eaten something they shoudn't etc.

The rest is just the little stuff...wanting so badly to be a responsible owner that seeing other dogs waste or bad behaviour stresses me beyond belief! Bad owners make good owners look bad and our DOGS are the ones that suffer for it.

I LOVE my dog...what a pleasure and what responsibility it is...sigh.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
griffin

Re: Fun Discussion - Dog Ownership

Post by griffin »

Nettle wrote:I thought it would be fun for us all to put our views :D

Not being able to afford more of them :P

[/quote]My biggest problem is people letting their dogs attack mine when we are out on walks. They say their dogs are "only playing" and make no attempt to get them back. Those dogs are not playing, and they give me a lot of trouble.[/quote]

My biggest issue is similar. Too many people not leashing at home, even though it is a LAW here. Eddie and I have been charged a few times as we walked by a house with no fence, no leash but a loose, unattended dog. :roll: The other issue is parents not cleaning up after their dogs. There is nothing worse than seeing poop lay about, molding, etc and not seeing it until Eddie has already had a snoot full..... Oh yes, these same people allow their dogs to poop in my gardens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
manda.sue

Post by manda.sue »

The most difficult aspect for me was a differing opinion in training, as well. My ex-husband was a "swatter" and a "pusher". In other words, the dog did bad, he'd give him a swat. The dog jumped up on him, he'd yell and push him away. Keep in mind, he taught him to jump up and wrap himself around his neck and torso (I have a very spry aussie mix). Now, my pup and I are breaking new ground everyday with positive reinforcement training.

Another toughie-having privacy while visiting the girls' room! :lol:
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

As someone who did not really want a dog, thinking it would require too much work and cause difficulties when I had to be away for a while, I am surprised to find it difficult to find anything really "difficult". It is sometimes hard to get myself going and take him for his walk, especially when my back is hurting, but he seems to be satisfied with one or two short walks almost every day, and he does not demand to be let out or fed on any particular schedule. I always feel better when I go out with him, so his needs are actually good for me.

Maybe I am lucky that Muttley does not have any special needs and he is so mellow and independent that he does not really get in the way of anything I want to do. On the contrary, he has enhanced my life, and it is fun for me to take him places with me. If I can't, he is happy to stay in the house, even as long as 12-14 hours if necessary. It would only be necessary to board him if I went somewhere that dogs were not allowed, but on my recent trips he accompanied me and stayed in a Kabin at a KOA, or at the Red "Woof" Inn.

I suppose it is difficult having the responsibility of owning a large, powerful dog, and the need to make sure he is under control and not a danger to other dogs and people. But that is balanced by the secure feeling of having a good watchdog, and the fact that he seems pretty good about meeting new people and other dogs.

Overall, a lot more good points than any negatives :D
gotdogs

Post by gotdogs »

the hardest part of owning a dog would be... helping them to become better behaved ( more social, potty breaking, etc). Basically the training of a stubborn dog that is not treat or toy motivated.

the most rewarding part is when you see your dog with a smile and prancing when they get the walking on a leash part right or the tail wag and the looking up at you with the "like this" look when they properly greet another dog calmly.

The most saddest part of owning a dog is when they have come to the end of their enjoyment and need to be left in a peaceful state(die).

The time I worry the most.. when they are sick and I sit by their side for nights on end until they heal or get better. patting them and rubbing them. bringing them the water and food dishes to them when they can't go to them. crying in the waiting room of a vets office. yup I get very worried about my pets in situations like that.