Whining at night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emma&Tess

Whining at night

Post by Emma&Tess »

Hi all

I have just bought a 12 week German Shepherd puppy. When we brought her home she slept in my bedroom for the first four night. Then we moved her to the bathroom. She has been in there for 8 nights now and still whines and throws herself against the door. She also always does a puddle and somtimes a dropping in the night. When she was in my bedroom she did not do this. Is this normal?

Thanks
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yes, its normal. Shes lonely and dogs are not designed to be solitary.

Consider what you are trying to achieve, a happy, healthy pup who grows into a happy, healthy adult.

Is that going to be achieved by her howling, distraught at being left, every night until shes so exhausted she gives up.

Nope, is the obvious answer.

Have her back in your room - teach her to settle in a crate if necessary, put it by your bed so you can put your hand down to her and she will know shes not alone.

This is the method I now use, after trying and failing every time at the old 'shut the dog away at night and ignore its piteous howling' advice.

There may well come a time when you dont want her to sleep in your room - thats fine, when shes able to sleep all night without needing to pee, and when shes an older, more confident pup who is secure in the knowledge that this is her home, these are her people etc etc.. then start the process of moving her away from your bed and your room.

It is absolutely NOT the case that you MUST make a puppy sleep elsewhere or it wont as an adult. Pups and adult dogs are all capable of learning new things if those things are properly taught.

These first few weeks of your pups life are one of the most crucial mentally for her development - it doesnt make any sense at all for her to be learning things like 'being left alone is awful' or 'making a horrific noise means people interact with me'.

Now is the time for bonding with her people and learning positive things and for a social animal like a dog, that means spending a lot of time with you!

When shes back in your room she will if crated, wake you when she wakes herself and you can then take her outside to toilet. Its likely if in the four nights she spent in your room she did not need to toilet, that she can actually hold on over night IF shes content and settled - if shes scared and distressed and working herself up into a state she wont be able to hold on though which is likely why shes messing in the bathroom overnight.

Make life easy for yourself and your pup - this is meant to be fun after all and so far in 8 nights, neither you, nor she (nor your neighbours!) are having any fun at all!
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thankyou so much for your advice. I will put it into practice starting tonight. :D :D