Is what you all call the halti the same as the gentle leader

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DannyboyStephjoy's OES

Is what you all call the halti the same as the gentle leader

Post by DannyboyStephjoy's OES »

Sorry. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in the U.S.A. Is this a different item or is it just a different name?

joji732

Post by joji732 »

Very similar, but not the same. Both headcollars, made by two different companies. Some will also say that you can use the halti to pull the dog's mouth closed when you're walking if he/she has a tendency to pick things up off the ground. If you're looking for a headcollar to deal with pulling, Gentle Leader should be fine.
whitesam

Halti vs Gentle Leader

Post by whitesam »

I have used both. I initially used the Gentle Leader but stopped because it pulled at my dog's face so much he ended up with a scar on his muzzle where the fur won't regrow. I believe they now make a padded version. I then purchased a Halti which is designed slightly different and to me is built to fit & stay in place better w/out pulling at the dog's face so much. Most people buy head halter type collars because their dog pulls on the leash and that is when the friction on the face occurs. I have a Samoyed. I suggest you bring your dog w/ you to a pet store that carries both (Petco had them) and most stores will let you try it on your dog there. In that way you can get a better idea of fit and sizing. The Halti is definitely made more for dogs with a longer muzzle not for a pug or boxer type.
Stephatron

Re: Is what you all call the halti the same as the gentle leader

Post by Stephatron »

Actually, the Gentle Leader is also an anti-anxiety device. It pushes a nerve on the back of the dog's head that soothes and calms them down. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes on average for it to kick in but it works wonders. You should not constantly pull on it though because dogs become dependent on the pressure and then the Gentle Leader doesn't help and causes scarring on the dog's snout. I have seen it work on extremely anxious or aggressive dogs in training class.