Kong Stuffings

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Yoshi

Kong Stuffings

Post by Yoshi »

It seems like a lot of people here like Kongs as much as I (and Xavier) do. So, I was wondering what everyone uses to stuff them. So far Xavier has had:

Chicken with honey (enough to make the chicken stick, but still somewhat messy)
Kibble and peanut butter
Treats of all shapes and sizes (including his Charlee Bear and Kong treats)

I'm hesitant to try the Stuff'n pastes the company makes, just because I'm not a huge fan of some of the ingredients. Has anyone tried them? How do you stuff YOUR Kongs?

...I'm also asking because Xavier is staring at his Stuff-a-ball as if to say to it, "Why aren't there any treats in you??" :wink: He's ready for something new!
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I use the peanut butter kong stuff'n biscuits... she isn't wild enough about them to actually try after them... everyonce in a while she'll drop the kong and one will fall out, which she thinks is pretty cool.

i've used creamy peanut butter and kibble, carrot chunks and squeeze cheese. Most effective has been frozen beef or chicken broth
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Ellie must be a complete oddball then as she seems to be the only dog in the world who is not interested in kongs. She has the attention span of a goldfish. If she doesn't get instant gratification then she just gives up. I have been stuffing them with peanut butter, so maybe this just isn't her thing :?
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Ellie isn't weird, Molly doesn't care much for them if I make it too much work. (yet she'll climb a tree after a squirrel...) :?
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

It's funny, Xavier wasn't too enthusiastic about his Stuff-a-ball at first, until I got involved and started playing with it myself. Now he loves it :wink:

Ocelot, maybe Ellie would go for a sweeter taste. I've heard of people putting mashed bananas inside as a substitute for peanut butter. Hm, what would go good with bananas? I'll have to try some things out!
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
shekate

Kong stuffing alternative

Post by shekate »

Try cream cheese, chunky peanut butter, kibble or dog cookie deep inside w/a "plug" of gooier stuff (cream cheese, squirt cheese or PB) so texture changes as they work through layers of stuffing. I read about 'frozen Kong' treats, which I've got to research.
One of my dogs loves anything stuffed in a Kong. The other prefers stuffings in Orca jack toys, which can hold baby carrots, dehydrated fruits (bananas, etc.) more easily.
proud mom of rescued 3-legged shepherd boy, a certified therapy dog and beautiful blue-eyed husky girl
shekate

Kong stuffing alternative

Post by shekate »

Try cream cheese, chunky peanut butter, kibble or dog cookie deep inside w/a "plug" of gooier stuff (cream cheese, squirt cheese or PB) so texture changes as they work through layers of stuffing. I read about 'frozen Kong' treats, which I've got to research.
One of my dogs loves anything stuffed in a Kong. The other prefers stuffings in Orca jack toys, which can hold baby carrots, dehydrated fruits (bananas, etc.) more easily.
ALSO, try tiny treats of any sort inside an orange 'busy ball', available on-line. I like this toy for it teaches tracking. Both dogs love it, and keeps them busy for hours!
proud mom of rescued 3-legged shepherd boy, a certified therapy dog and beautiful blue-eyed husky girl
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

We do ours in layers using different things. Leaf lard crackles (the tissuey pieces left over from rendering the lard), butter, peanut butter, yogurt, cream cheese, mascarpone, grated carrot, chicken or beef liver, lamb, kibbles, brewers yeast, mozzarella, pork sausage, ground turkey.

For our lazy dog that gives up we don't freeze her kong all the way, so it's less work for her but she takes about the same amount of time the other do with their frozen kongs. Maybe she just has an uncoordinated tongue :D
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

Chloe loves the kong but only the liver biscuit that the company makes it doesn't matter what else I put into it she is not interested. Atlas just likes to chase it around which is fine with me.
moxiemutt

Post by moxiemutt »

I stuff my dog's Kong with peanut butter, or a combonation of a multitude of varieties of treats.
It's Me Or The Dog ROCKS! Sorry I love that show!
passionate61

Post by passionate61 »

:D I stuff my dogs kongs with, dried kidney, or liver or heart, they spend hours trying to get the treats out.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I put kibble in the bottom of Murpny's kong to prevent leakage and fill it with nonfat plain yogurt, and sometimes I put a little peanut butter at the top to seal it, and I freeze overnight. He doesn't even notice us leaving the house once he gets started on it!