*Keeping a puppy from barking in their crate*

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Olliekinz

*Keeping a puppy from barking in their crate*

Post by Olliekinz »

I have a 6mo. Maltipoo. When we leave for the day we put him in his crate and he absolutly goes CRAZY :shock: He jumps and barks(more like a screem) We live out in the country and don't have any neighbors, but we go camping a lot and I worry about leaving him in the camper for the fear of his bark :!: I have tried putting meat in Kongs and the Kong treats,chew toys,chew bones, EVERYTHING :!: He just ignores them.... He is in there for about 5hours a day. I know that is probably too long for him. I was thinking about putting baby gates up and only letting him in a certain area. I would, but he goes to the bathroom in his crate mostly all the time. I'm guessing that was from a bad dog breeder that put him in a small kenel and didn't let him go out to relieve himself. I don't know if he has seperation anxiety, because he will take a chew bone sometimes and go eat it in a different room. Other times he will be your shadow. Any suggestions???
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
German Shep.-Shadow or Lucky's Shadow(Reg. name)
Vegetariflan

Post by Vegetariflan »

Sounds like your pup is afraid you are going to leave and never come back! How long have you had your dog? It may just take awhile for him to trust you enough to leave knowing you will be back. Try practicing leaving and coming back. Put him in his kennel, walk away where he can't see you and don't respond to the barking. It may drive you nuts, but see how long it takes for him to quiet down. If he does, calmly walk in and let him out. I've tried this with our rescued stray dog who has a lot of insecurity issues. We also make sure we have exercised her until she is tired and ready for a nap before we kennel her. That way she is too tired to worry about barking and she has had her fill of us for the time being! A tired dog is a good dog!
Hopefully someone will have some advice about the going potty in the crate issue! I don't know what to tell you about that. I have a friend with a dog who has that problem and she has tried everything!
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

Vegetariflan wrote:Sounds like your pup is afraid you are going to leave and never come back! How long have you had your dog? It may just take awhile for him to trust you enough to leave knowing you will be back. Try practicing leaving and coming back. Put him in his kennel, walk away where he can't see you and don't respond to the barking. It may drive you nuts, but see how long it takes for him to quiet down. If he does, calmly walk in and let him out. I've tried this with our rescued stray dog who has a lot of insecurity issues. We also make sure we have exercised her until she is tired and ready for a nap before we kennel her. That way she is too tired to worry about barking and she has had her fill of us for the time being! A tired dog is a good dog!
Hopefully someone will have some advice about the going potty in the crate issue! I don't know what to tell you about that. I have a friend with a dog who has that problem and she has tried everything!
I've had the puppy for 6wks. He is getting "better" I've been putting him in there and walking out the door. It takes him about 30sec. and then he starts barking!! One time when he as sleeping and I had to leave quickly I picked him up and put him in his crate and he was quiet when I left, but I don't know if he was just tired and out of it or he started barking when I left. I went to my Uncle's house with him and he didn't want to even walk into the house. I think he associated it with going to the vet w/ me leaving him there.... :?:
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

UPDATE: We left my puppy home while we went to church for about 2hrs. in the garage. He didn't make any messes and was quiet when we left. He is in w/ another dog. When we came back he gets so excited we can't even pick him up to go into the house! What is wierd is when we get back he does this raspy whine when we are there ready to go into the house. He runs around like a chicken w/ it's head chopped off!
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
passionate61

Post by passionate61 »

Olliekinz wrote:UPDATE: We left my puppy home while we went to church for about 2hrs. in the garage. He didn't make any messes and was quiet when we left. He is in w/ another dog. When we came back he gets so excited we can't even pick him up to go into the house! What is wierd is when we get back he does this raspy whine when we are there ready to go into the house. He runs around like a chicken w/ it's head chopped off!
:D Well, for a start I would not pay him any attention when you first get home, ignore him, walk around the garden for while until he has been potty (praise if he goes), don't pick him up, don't look at him, don't talk to him, walk quietly inside and continue to ignore until he is quiet and not excited, then you can call him to you and give him pat.

As for going potty in his crate, 5 hours is a long time for a puppy to be left in a crate, when they are little they need to be taken to the toilet at least 6 times a day. So I can't help you with that, unless you can get someone you trust to come in and let the little fella out several times to go to the toilet. As for the crying in the crate, if it is at night, you can when you put him to bed cover his crate with an old blanket, it may help. :D
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

Ok here's what I did for today: Put him in his crate from 7:00A.M till 12:00PM central and at 12pm I let him out to go potty and then let him back in the house by himself till 3PM. I'm SOOOOOO happy with him! He didn't make a mess and didn't chew anything. I think that is our last resort. When he is let out of his crate or when we come home from anywhere we don't pet him. I tried putting peanut butter in the Kong and he ate it for about 2min. Then got bored. Anything that WILL keep him busy? THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLIES :D
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker