So....Who's Who? - Introduce Yourself Here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

voy_63

Post by voy_63 »

hi,
I'm new to this site, I love It's me or the dog and Victoria rocks out the doggy dominatrix in all of us, lol I love her no nonsense style of dealing with owners.
Im 26, male, in Minnesota going to school for psychology and philosophy. When i was young I loved to observe the psychology of my dogs and use that to train them. My moms dogs wont ever sit for her but they do for me :)
Growing up, my parents ran a humane association so as a kid i got exposed to lots of animals, and tons of dog breeds. My favorite breeds, would be greyhounds, afghan hounds and gordon setters. I don't own a dog myself (im a renter) but i have a cat named Monty who on occasion will come when I call.
PHOENIX

Hi

Post by PHOENIX »

My name is Jonathan. Or better known as "Ringo's dad."

I adopted Ringo, a German Shepherd/ Airedale Terrier(?) mix 7 1/2 years ago. Based on bad advice from someone at the rescue group, he was going to be put down. (The person had a negative attitude toward German Shepherds.) I had to convice the rescue group to let me have him.

Ringo had been abused during the first two years of his life, then left to run the streets. He was rescued and lived in the foster home for about six months. He decided I was "good people," and we have been close ever since. I adopted him about three months after I first met him.

Ringo does best as a single dog, though he does like to socialize. He just missed out on some critical knowledge due to his life of deprivation and abuse. He will play with other dogs, if they initiate it.

If I were him I would hate all humans. The capacity for dogs to forgive is amazing.

Anywho, I have helped out with the rescue. Not by taking in dogs, but by doing some evaluations and training.

I am in Graduate School studying Psychology and I prepare taxes. I would like to learn more about dog training to help the many dogs who have confusing and well-intended but misguided people.
PHOENIX

Hi

Post by PHOENIX »

My name is Jonathan. Or better known as "Ringo's dad."

I adopted Ringo, a German Shepherd/ Airedale Terrier(?) mix 7 1/2 years ago. Based on bad advice from someone at the rescue group, he was going to be put down. (The person had a negative attitude toward German Shepherds.) I had to convice the rescue group to let me have him.

Ringo had been abused during the first two years of his life, then left to run the streets. He was rescued and lived in the foster home for about six months. He decided I was "good people," and we have been close ever since. I adopted him about three months after I first met him.

Ringo does best as a single dog, though he does like to socialize. He just missed out on some critical knowledge due to his life of deprivation and abuse. He will play with other dogs, if they initiate it.

If I were him I would hate all humans. The capacity for dogs to forgive is amazing.

Anywho, I have helped out with the rescue. Not by taking in dogs, but by doing some evaluations and training.

I am in Graduate School studying Psychology and I prepare taxes. I would like to learn more about dog training to help the many dogs who have confusing and well-intended but misguided people.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi! I'm new here, just signed up yesterday. I saw this thread seems to be like the "Front Door" and decided to be polite and introduce myself.

I have a five year old Springer Spaniel mix (the vet thinks the mix part may be lab) named Annie. She is a Fun Dog-- hence my username, lol. I rescued her from the local shelter when she was just a puppy; her previous family had lost her, and she was found wandering in the street. She has a lot of fear issues, but I've been working with her, and she has come a long way.

I live in the U.S., in the desert, where it is very hot in the summer, and almost never snows. I also have two human sons, both teenagers, and a husband who is a truck driver. I work the night shift in a youth crisis center for naughty teenagers, and sleep during the day. I don't get to see Victoria's show very often, since it is on either when I have to get ready for work in the evenings, or after my bedtime in the mornings. Lately I have been staying awake later just so I can catch 15-30 minutes. The first time I saw Victoria in action, I was in awe. She is really, really good! I've already applied one of her techniques with great success, and am planning to start with a couple more.

I'm excited to have another forum to learn from, and to get some social interaction. My dog is a major part of my life, and working nights makes life a bit lonely too.
MissLab

Post by MissLab »

Hello
We have two dogs - 2 lab mixes. Palo aged 4 and Pax aged 18 months. They are both black - Palo has some white on her chest. She was sold to us as a pure bred Lab but at her vet visit to get her injections the vet told us she was not pure bred :cry: We loved her too much to fight with her breeder.
We got Pax from a friend of my dads, his mum was a black Lab and his dad it is thought was a black dane. He is certainly big enough to have a dane as a dad :lol: no one really knows what his dad is as Maggie [his mum] was missing for four days when she was in heat.
We also have 6 cats and avairy birds.
velvetpaws

Hi!

Post by velvetpaws »

Hi, I'm new here, just joined yesterday.

I'm Jo, 55, and gleefully retired from the federal government. We've been dogless for over five years because our work hours were too long to properly care for a dog, but we hope to be adding one very soon. At the moment we have two former feral cats who rule the roost. :wink: We put in an application yesterday to adopt a miniature poodle from a nearby rescue organization, and are waiting eagerly to see if we will be able to bring her home.

Stay tuned!
sumrwind

Hi

Post by sumrwind »

Hi, my name is sumr
50 year old, single & happy. I love dogs, they have been my chosen children in this life. I lost my 10 year olf black lab mix a month ago, and am still in the grief stage. I saved a pitbull from the vet putting her to sleep 2 years ago. I was at the vets office to pick up my cat, and noticed a police officer at the reception desk. He was discussing 2 puppies in the back seat of the police cruiser. The pups were from an apartment dweller who couldn't have animals and the landlord called police to pick up these puppies. I asked the receptionisht "what happens to these puppies" and she told me "they hold them for 3 days, then euthinize them"> OMG, I couldn't believe this. So, I followed the police officer to his car and picked one of the puppies....she had to wait at vet's office for 3 days, but I atleast saved one of those dogs. I couldn't afford to feed 2 new pupppies, but I saved one. I am so glad I did. beautiful tiger, brindle pitbull. Star, makes my grief a little easier.
I think pitbulls are more difficult to train, but a very loving dog....just very different from a black lab mix....hehehehe
I love wathing "It's me or the dog" I have learned valuable training tips. My only questions is
How do I make those training treats?
Bama

Hi! I'm new!

Post by Bama »

Hi everybody! I'm Bama. Devoted wife and mother to one daughter, Grammy to one little grandaughter & doggymum to a schnauzer mix female named Pepper.

I have been an animal lover all my life and have had just about every kind of animal you could ever want while growing up. My biggest loves have always beens dogs with cats running in second place.

Since I have been an adult, we have had 2 dogs and 2 cats that were very special to us. When each of them passed away in turn, we decided never to get another dog or cat again. Losing them was too painful. Well, now we have a grandchild who just turned 4 and she loves animals too. And we have missed having a dog so much. So a few months ago, we decided that we would take our time and adopt a puppy.

We did research, browsed PetFinder everyday and all the local shelters. My hubby wanted a pupy, NOT an older dog. He wanted it to grow up with our grandaughter.

Well, I ran across a certain dog's profile on PetFinder and she really got under my skin. The more I visited her page, the more I wanted to know. So I called the fostermom and talked with her for quite awhile. This dog was not a puppy! But she was still young, (about 8-9 months old) and she was so adorable. I drove to meet her that very day and spent the entire afternoon getting to know her. She is the sweetest dog with a great temperament. It was love at first sight and I brought her home with me that same day.

I was worried what my hubby would say, because he wanted a puppy. This dog, in his eyes, was "grown." When he first saw Pepper, he couldn't believe that I got an older dog! But after 5 minutes with her, he knew exactly why I got her! She is awesome and instantly fit in with our family.

We have had her for one month now and she has already brought a lot of joy to our lives.
ktgurl21

Hullo

Post by ktgurl21 »

Howdy. I'm KT and I am 21, almost 22. am happily married to a Navy man. Life is just won'erful. I am an official mommy to one little boy named Jordan and one four-legged little girl named Snowflake. I adopted her from our local SPCA. Sadly, miss snowflake is deaf, and has one ear looking like someone wanted to do a homemade ear job. :\ I am guessing she is probably about 2-ish. She is full grown but still wacky enough to be considered a "puppy." I'm fixin to go over to the picture thread and post hers. Toodle Loo!
shybird

Post by shybird »

My name is Myia. I have 3 rotties, 1 is a mix. I've been involved with rottweiler rescue for about 7 years. I've had as many as 6 at one time. I truly admire Victoria and her training methods with dogs and humans.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

Im Rhonda, I live in San Diego, CA, USA with my 3 dogs, Callie a 9 year old mixed breed, Wyatt my 4 year old JRT and Huck a 10 month old Mini Aussie. I love to do agility with my dogs and also Wyatt lives for hunting rodents, so we do alot of that in the avocado groves here on the ranch. Huck is my newest member, he is 10 months old and training for agility.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Suzspots

Post by Suzspots »

Hi!
Rhonda gave me the link to this forum and I thought I'd jump in! My name is Suzi and I live in Southern California (USA). I currently have two dalmatians. Belle (who just turned 12 today!) and Jiggs who is 8 years old. Belle is retired now, but she competed in AKC agility and earned several titles. Jiggs, is just starting to compete now and he has also been shown in conformation and has dabbled in canine freestyle and rally obedience! They both keep me very busy but I cannot imagine life without either of them!
Suzi and the Spots
Belle and Jiggs
www.dreamweaverdals.com
"Everybody needs their own spot"
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

Hello, I live in Southern California, US. I recently got my first dog, which is a pug. We found him online from a nice person who just wanted to give her dog a home with more time to spend with him. We got him July 31, 2008, and his birthday is on January 6th, 2007. He just turned 2, and is named after the pug in Men in Black. He is really loveable, loves going on walks to see new dogs, car rides, and his favorite place is probably pet Smart or the dog park. He loves watching TV as well, including It's Me or the Dog! He runs up to the screen and begins trying to lick it or chase the dogs around it playfully, which is useful for distracting him when we ever leave him home alone (which we rarely do, he's usually with us everywhere we go). I love animals, I always have, and I own several cats. I HATE frogs being killed for dissection, negative dog training, and animal abuse. I'm also a huge fan of Disney.
Pipsicle

Post by Pipsicle »

Hi, I live in the UK with 3 Whippets 1 Staffie and 1 Bichon Frise, 5 cats, Hubby & 2 daughters. I occassionally foster dogs & cats.
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

I've been hovering around here for quite some time now so I figure I might as well go ahead and introduce myself!

I'm Ashley, 21 years old and live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, GA along with my husband. We have two crazy cats (Lou and Lil Bit) along with the doggy love of my life, Annie, our 10 month old white GSD. Annie amazes me each day in how much she loves life and never ceases to make me laugh. We've learned some stuff the hard way but I would say in the long run this has made our bond stronger each and every day.

I am a horseback riding instructor for a non-profit riding academy and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have a 15 y/o grey thoroughbred gelding named Wasabi. He's a little ADHD, slightly neurotic but as sweet as they come and that's just how I love him. It's amazing how similar in personality my horse and dog are...maybe it has something to do with their mom :lol: