What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Sounds like you're making good progress, Erica - Derby's in good hands :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper has now progressed from getting in other people's cars if he gets the opportunity to putting the brakes on if we're just walking along the road and a car slows down to park within 10 yards or so :roll: Whether it's in the hope that there's a nice friendly person with treats in their pockets about to get out, or whether he thinks he could be in with a chance of jumping in, raiding their shopping, and searching for long-lost treats in the footwells I don't know.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some people have dogs that don't like cars - Jas is a self-loading one! :lol:

This morning we had a communal howl. It was lovely. Interesting to note that dog whiskers are worn at right angles during howling sessions. Whiskers are big in body-language communication, and I am very much at the novice stage of learning about their role. If a dog is staring at you and its whiskers start to move forward, get out of Dodge right now. Of course if dogs have their whiskers cut off during grooming, a valuable asset is missing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - I haven't had my coffee yet.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aw, I don't think Jasper has ever howled - unless you count the 'My people have left me alone for five minutes and I can't cope' howling in the early days, but that's a completely different form of communication of course.

I had thought that Monty had grumpily accepted Jasper. Often, J will steal past the cat defences into the bathroom, and politely sniff him with a friendly look on his face and gently wagging tail. He's very gentle with him nowadays. M just stands there, gives him a dirty look and meows at him, but that's all.

But twice recently, when J has left the bathoom and M has moved, there's been a puddle right where M was standing. Each time, naturally, I only realised this when I stood in it :lol: Poor M - I'm pretty sure he's not very stressed, but I guess it only takes a little bit of stress for his 21-year-old bladder to have an oopsy moment. It comes to us all, I'm sure...
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I have never heard Lara howel (yet) , sampson though used to howel\sing along to the theme tune of coronation street and police and ambulance sirens.

Not doing create here its just one thing after another health wise my hip has repaired and is fine but for three weeks straight i have been getting period like cramps and its not because of a period as iv been on the depo injection for 9yrs now due to VERY painful periods. I went to my GP last week who wanted me to do a swap for infections and if it showed anything she would phone that was a week ago but im going to go back tomorrow as there getting more painful and the pain medication you get over the counter are not helping at all.

Lara is doing good shes keeping me sane with me being in pain , i am also baking more mainly doggy treats for Lara.

I have also decided that as much as i enjoyed having two dogs i prefer only having one as its easier for me and works better for my lifestyle ( after i finish traning as a physio i wont have as much time on my hands and feel it will be easier with only one dog)

My sister and her son Theo has moved in with me as her partner has just left her he left her a note saying its over. She found out from his parents that he has moved to a different city due to work and hes met someone else but i said to my sister thats just crule , he has no desire to see Theo either he made that very clear in his note. Anyway she cant afford there home on her own ( they lived in a private rented house) so they have come to live with me.

Hope everyone is well :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Have you been taking anti-inflammatories, Zara, and if so, have you also been taking a stomach protector? Either could cause abdominal pain. The stomach protector I was on gave me stomach cramps and bloating.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

So sorry for your sister's pain, though she is well rid of that jerk.

Good decision to have only one dog, as with a child in the home as well that will be quite enough to manage alongside a career.

I am sympathetic about your health problems and hope they will be resolved in the way you want. I used to have evil periods too.

ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Nettle and Judy , i have an appointment later at 11.00am i will let you know what happens.

I only started taking anti inflammatory after the pain Judy, but this is nothing to do with my stomach the pain is excatly like when i use to have periods.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

My GP said she thinks the cramps are linked to my depo and thinks this could just be a one off when the deop has not worked as well and said she wants to wait until i have my next depo in may and see if they go. My swap she said came back normal so its not an infection.

Im glad its nothing serious and hope it goes down.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I hope you get answers and get fixed soon, Zara.

I didn't suffer too badly with my periods though those around may have suffered badly in the few days leading up to them :wink:

I've been following a new study on corns in dogs, which monitors the heart rate and behaviour of corn sufferers when walking on different surfaces. I'd have liked to take part (they come to you so your dog is on his standard walks), but didn't want them to travel here just for J to refuse to wear the monitor. What interested me today though was the post about a greyhound who had seen a couple of squirrels. He didn't stare, lunge, bark or even pause in his walking - there was no more than a slight prick of the ears. On looking at the heart rate trace after, his heart rate had shot up from being in between 125 and 150 to a sudden spike of over 185. Intrestingly, after just a momentary spike it settled down immediately to what it had been before.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sorry Zara, I cross-posted - I'm glad your pain is nothing to worry about. I hadn't heard of depo injections, had to google it - they hadn't invented them when OH got the snip!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Greyhound heart rate explanation:

Oh look - a prey species. (heart rate up)

Oh drat, it's a squirrel - no chance of catching that (heart rate normalises)

Typical sighthound - a terrier for instance would be adrenaline-filled all day. Those of us who have worked sighthounds know that they slouch along looking calm, then see quarry they can catch (serious mathematics here - distance, projected speed, trajectory) fire up, catch or miss, instantly calm again.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 am(serious mathematics here - distance, projected speed, trajectory)
Yep - that does sound like Jasper! The same thing happens if we've had a guardy incident and have had to use military procedures, cunning and strategy to separate him from whatever he's caught/stolen/found. The moment he realises the item is no longer in his possession and we are back in control, he flips back into normal acquiescent mode. Well OK, he might have a brief tantrum when he reluctantly drops his bunny and comes through the gate I'm holding without it.

I hadn't realised that the heartrate would reflect so accurately how they appear on the outside though - I bet mine wouldn't if something happened to spike mine. I want a heartrate monitor now...
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When you say to your dog, 'We can't go out yet, we've got to wait for a friend to come round,' and he goes to look out of the front window and woodles and yowls till they turn up (even though they don't know which friend it will be), is this a sign of great canine intelligence or a dog being completely ridiculous? :roll:

Shame they were 10 minutes late :lol:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Ari would do that too. We didn’t even have to say anything, when he saw us setting up the dinner table - he would start looking out the window and pace around in anticipation of arrivals... way before they actually arrived.
Some folks would ask - is your dog a little nuts? I would always answer - no, it’s a sign of great intelligence.

So, definitely intelligence....
In fact, no matter what Ari did, I saw it as a sign of great intelligence. Pulling like a train to get to a squirrel - surely curious minds can’t be confined by a leash... no recall - of course he finds something more interesting out there, only dumb dogs would find their handler more interesting than deer tracks.

The alternative to this approach was to call it training failure, but “my dog has great intelligence” just sounds so much better, doesn’t it? :-)
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018