Fairwell my friend

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Fairwell my friend

Post by Ari_RR »

My boy Ari suddenly died this morning, 8 y.o.

There were no indications until very later last night.
It turned out cancer which didn’t bother him until is spread to his heart, and when that happened he was gone within several hours.

The shock and pain and sense of loss I can’t even describe.

For everyone who sometimes puts walks or playing off for anothe day - don’t, tomorrow is promised to no one.
DianeLDL

Re: Fairwell my friend

Post by DianeLDL »

Ari_RR,

I'm so sorry :(
You have our deepest sympathies.
He's now playing with my friend's doggies up in Doggy Heaven! She lost two last year.

((((HUGS))))
Diane & Sandy (he will be 9yo in 2 weeks)
(We need a crying emoji on here :(
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh no - I'm really very sorry to hear this. Far too young, and far too sudden. I can only imagine your shock and your grief. If it's any consolation, at least he didn't gradually decline and suffer - every day he had was a wonderful day.

((((Hugs))))
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ari, I am so very sorry. He was a beacon of light as a Forum dog, and I have always enjoyed your posts about him. An easy end for him, a terrible shock for you.

We are all your friends. Come to us and lean on us if you would like to. We've all been there, some of us many times. It never gets easier, but nobody can take away our memories and photographs. I'll raise a glass to Ari tonight.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Thank you, everyone.

This was probably the easiest possible way for my boy to leave us - he was his usual happy and mellow self all the way up until last night, thrilled to see me as always when i got back from work, we took a short walk before settling in.....

I am sure it's a good thing we were completely unaware of the cancer spreading. We would have probably fought all the way, putting him through all kinds of treatment, which would most likely have given us a few extra months, but difficult and painful months. He went so peacefully and quickly, and we were with him at the vet when he took his last breath.

But we are completely at a loss now. The entire house was his house too, with beds and toys and blankets... collars and leashes, food bowls, his winter coat and rain coat, coming through the door and not hearing his footsteps, him running over to greet.. i am sure it will get better, but for now it is not good, not good.

He was a wild teenager and young adult, but the last several years were practically perfect, he was such a pleasure to have around, such loving and calming presence in our life.

In retrospect, looking at the way we brought him up - i have almost no regrets. We kept him intact, and we tried to apply positive reinforcement as much as we could, practically never falling back on punishment. It took a while to get to calm and steady state, but when we reached that point - it was a total joy and pleasure.

A lot of us have less than fond memories of sleepless nights when a new puppy arrived, and needed to be entertained and taken outside at all odd hours. I am now looking at a different kind of sleepless nights. For over 8 years my boy slept next to me (or sometimes I slept next to him), every single night with very rare exceptions when i had to be away. I don't know anymore how to not have have him near me at night...

We should keep trying to convey to new owners here not to get too stressed over little imperfections and setbacks, and enjoy their pups, every moment of every day. Really important.

They say time is the best healer, i really hope so, there is just nothing else in sight at the moment that can fill the void.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 pmWe should keep trying to convey to new owners here not to get too stressed over little imperfections and setbacks, and enjoy their pups, every moment of every day. Really important.
Amen to that.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I'm so sorry , he was an amazing dog and I loved hearing his stories and he and you gave a lot of hope to members on here.

I lost Sampson so suddenly recently so maybe they are playing together in doggy heaven. I know your pain and agree treasure every walk, every hug, every playtime as you never no when your last will be.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Oh No! I am so sorry to hear this news. I always enjoyed stories of Ari's adventures. He was obviously such a big part of your daily life. This must be so hard for you.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

oh wow...how did I miss this....

Sooooooooo sorry to hear ari has passed. I so enjoyed his stories and the pictures you shared.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Oh, we miss him, big time, every day.
So many pictures, so many memories, my boy was by my side for 8 years.
A lot of adventures, good times.
Human memory is a funny thing, has a way of retaining good parts, I don't really remember many dark days, although I know we've had our share :-)

I wasn't keen on keeping the ashes, but my dearest wife insisted, so we did and it really helps.
I pick up his little urn, every now and then - it's rather heavy, and it feels like I can almost still hug my boy.

Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What lovely photos.

If you have a yard, planting something special in his memory can also help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS