It's quiet in here !

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: It's quiet in here !

Post by JudyN »

Diane, Wikipedia explains it:
Triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), are an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background, or organizations who are thought to be owned by Jewish people. The practice originated from the alt-right blog The Right Stuff; the blog's editors have explained that the symbol is meant to symbolize that the historic actions of Jews caused their surnames to "echo throughout history".[1] The triple parentheses have been adopted as an online stigma by antisemites, neo-Nazis, and white nationalists to identify individuals of Jewish background as targets for online harassment, such as Jewish political journalists critical of Donald Trump during his 2016 election campaign
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

:cry:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I am quite shocked at how hitherto harmless words, phrases and symbols get hijacked like this. As a former user of multiple parentheses to indicate hugs, I am appreciative of being notified of their misuse.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I can't see how anyone could misconstrue (((hugs))) as having any reference to Jews or anything else unpleasant and nasty, and I refuse to let them limit me in this way. So big (((hugs))) to everyone from me!
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

I think this is outrageous how they take something that do many people use and hijack for their own use.

The swastika used to be a a very popular quilt pattern in the 1800s with a meaning like long life and similar to windmills. But, once the Nazis appropriated it, so much for that. Occasionally I'll see that pattern in use as windmills in an innocent looking quilt. Sometimes they have reversed the latter so the arms go on the opposite direction than those of the swastika. So, to me, there's another perfectly lovely, innocent symbol that has been ruined!

So, I guess if we all use the echo with hugs, it will be like the Danes during WWII. When Jews were required to wear yellow Star of David, every Danish citizen including the king also wore one in solidarity to show they would not single out their Jewish citizens.

(((((HUGS)))))
Diane & Sandy
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

It is extremely important to note that the group using the multiple parentheses is a radical fringe group that is actually called alternative right, not to be confused with others who are simply on the Right. I would never, ever want anyone to confuse me or anyone else I know on the right with one of those demented nut jobs on the alternative right.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Absolutely, Suzette - it is as wrong to assume that all right-wingers share the same beliefs as the extreme alt-right as it is to assume that all Muslims share the same beliefs as Islamic terrorists.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As a historical aside, the 'reverse swastika' was/is a good luck/sun symbol that is very ancient. Hitler had the sense to turn it the other way for his own ends. But to many of us, the symbol - whichever way - means nazism, and it'll take a few generations before people forget and use it for good things again.

And well said, JudyN et al. Important to never let the few stain the many.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS