What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Not me, MPb. Hopefully it was a temproary thing - is it still happening?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Today we are dealing with obscenely massive poos from Mr Timber. Yesterday evening we were out and spontaneously decided to have a bar supper. I had none of his food with us so I popped into a local shop and bought a tray of good quality wet food (I know, I know ...)

My poor boy has been producing humongous amounts of sloppy poo today. Hopefully back to normal now - he can't have anything left!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh dear, Timber!

Coincidentally Jasper has been having tummy troubles. This is entirely my fault - a cat-loving friend came round yesterday and as I introduced her to Monty I let my defences down and Jasper got into the airing cupboard. Being him, I couldn't risk dragging him out and he found the big bag of cat food... which is actually kitten food as Monty at 20 needs all the oomph he can get, so quite high octane. Fortunately he didn't eat the whole bag, though it did take some strategic stairgates to separate him from the rest of the bag, and he went VERY guardy - but as always, once separated from the food, he switched straight back to normal.

He chose to sleep downstairs last night and judging by the terrible smells and sloppy poo he produced this morning I'm very glad of that :lol:
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Aw, poor Jasper. Hope he is better now!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

OH wasn't happy when I told him that the choc chip cookies he had bought looked just like what J was doing this morning :mrgreen: He did a MASSIVE poo after tea (Jasper, not OH :wink: ) but it was formed. OH says he's still producing nasty niffs but he is pretty much in the firing line...

As you can see, he was in fine fettle on this morning's walk...

How is Timber now?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I hope that's mud not fox poo!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That would have had to be one very poorly fox :lol:

No, it's the remains of what's usually a very large pond. I've never seen it so low as it is now:

Lovely (but naughty) Ted later did a couple of laps round the cricket field while there was a match in progress, with his owner calling, and calling, and calling.... I've realised that if I could train Jasper to go over to Ted, I could then recall J and as J came running, Ted would be thrilled to be able to run with him and would also come back (he loves playing with other dogs but J rarely indulges him).

Every time Ted's owner calls him, J will go right up to him, saying 'I'm here! I'm here! I'm a good boy! I get a treat!'
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We met up with NaomiH, Mr H, and the gorgeous Sparky today, as they are holidaying not that far away :D The lads were so good. Jasper, as usual, wasn't interested in playing, but Sparky didn't pester him at all but found willing victims instead. They all came back here for lunch and S was perfectly behaved - though Naomi assures me that he was tired after a busy day yesterday and is usually a bit wilder.

Jasper also was unfazed but having a new friend come back to his house and play with his toys. It was a shame he blotted his copybook when he told Mr H off for stroking his head when he was lying on his bed (I hadn't really thought of it as his bed as it had just been put in the middle of the floor so the dogs would settle down nicely in the conservatory while we were eating in the kitchen separated by an old fire guard). But apart from that, it couldn't have gone better :D
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

camping with bax went gloriously. he made lots of friends with all the kids at the park and they kept coming round and round and round and round to say hi to him :roll: frankly it got a bit exahsting. but he had fun.

unfortunately for my sister she brought her chihuahuas. one was fine but theres a noise restriction and the other one was NOT happy to be there. poor thing spent most of the vacation locked in the car where we could hear his indignation only in muffled tones.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We went round to my son's yesterday evening - he and his GF are dogsitting for her cousin's spaniel, H. He rang up beforehand to ask me to bring a tick remover with me.

H was lovely - he parades round with shoes, a habit I've read about before on here. When DS2 and GF get in from work (she only works part time) they are used to finding all their shoes in different places! I was able to remove the tick from his face while holding his head steady by holding on to the shoe he had in his mouth. I could prise shoes out of his mouth if needs be. He could sit on our laps for cuddles. I kept tensing up when we thought the pizza delivery van (he knows how to be a great host, does DS2 :lol: ) was pulling up just in case someone stood up too quick and set him off... He didn't sit drooling on the carpet waiting for us to finish. And we could hang grimly on to his collar to stop him running out the front door.

DS2 reckons that as H lives with 4 children he's never been taught any commands but if that's the case, I'm a dab hand at training 'leave' and 'sit'.

Oh, to have an easy dog!
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

We are going to have to do more work on paw desensitization. T got something (a burr maybe - I removed several off his coat) in his paw and I couldn't see a thing but he was not happy at having it looked at. At all. So later I wanted to trim the hair on his laws - it really, really doesn't hurt - but he is having none of it. Clicker and scissors tomorrow again I think.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Dogs went to visit oldest this weekend.

They were well behaved.

JudyN try number 2. First post I was told I have to be logged in to post when I hit submit.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Dad, a couple weeks ago: I'll get my next dog in three years when I retire
Dad, today: Don't tell Mom but what do you think of these breeders?

He's got puppy fever as badly as I do lol

So the hunt begins for a good GSD breeder...wish us luck :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax favored treat has officially switched over to ruffles potatoe chips. thank god, i was getting sick and tired of baking his chicken treats all the time.

he did the whole nursing home for the first time. usually he'll do just one wing of a unit, or just one unit, this time he did allllllll the units.... and ate an entire sandwhich baggies worth of potatoe chips. lil greedy guts earned it though.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

went on a lovely 4 mile hike with bax that was somewhat ruined by the end.

we're driving home and i almost hit a dog. its like a lab/beagle mixish and clearly ANCIENT. grey muzzle, very narrow waist. she looks starved. i grab bax's leash and get out of the car and she happily comes up to say hi. her tits are hanging really low likes shes birthed a lot of puppies and they look like they have some tumors or something on them. i go to pet her nad shes FILTHY, like the top of her head is grainy with dirt. im tempted to scoop her up right then and there and take her home and give her the golden years she deserves..... but there IS a house close by so i loop the leash over her head and take her over.

turns out she has a home. and she wasnt lost. she goes outside occasionally with their dad.

now im willing to make allowances for skinny, shes clearly old and its difficult to keep weight on old dogs i get it.

but there is NO excuse for leaving your dog that filthy and with GROWTHS ON THEIR TITS.

regardless i left.... but i feel awful that i didn't go with my initial instinct and whisk her away from there. she really was the sweetest thing.