Dog eating

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Dog eating

Post by Shalista »

Not to get super controversial but i have a question.

the Yulin dog eating festival is starting and everyone is all up in arms about dog eating.

Why?

i love dogs as much as the next person (prolly a bit more then some) but i think it's a bit hypocritical to protest the selling of dogs for meat and then go home and eat a nice piece of bacon. Pigs and cows and chickens have complex social lives and pigs at least are pretty darn smart. why all this horror about eating dogs if your 100% okay with eating pigs?

I WILL agree that the cruelty that these dogs are butchered in is extreme but i would also argue its no worse than any american slaughterhouse.

I feel like humans only care about meat eating murdering animals once a year and then conveniently forget about the animal attached to their meat the next time they go to mcdonalds.

Are we literally arguing to save the dogs based on the cuteness factor? its potential to be a companion for a human? what gives?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Re: Dog eating

Post by ZaraD »

I don't eat meat ( not by choice but because I get very , very ill if I eat bacon, chicken, beef ect but I can eat fish , I class my self as a pescetarian as I eat fish, dairy and eggs but no meat, I also am gluten intolerant so am limited on the grains I can eat :roll: :lol: )

I think the reason so many people hate the idea of eating dog is because we share our lives with far more dogs than cows or pigs , I have never loved a pig the way I love Sampson and Lara :wink: , it's the unconditional love that dogs give and as Far, far more dogs give us that unconditional love and are our pets than cows and pigs I think people then get angry at the though of eating an animal that should be a pet.

I think it all comes down to we don't see dogs in the same way we do pigs.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Some animals cope better at being farmed than others. Dogs aren't herd animals, they naturally want to travel for long distances, and they have dynamics in the 'pack' that are counter intuitive to large scale farming. They're not grazers, they are predatory scavangers and hunters. Grazers, biologically, are predisposed to standing and eating for extended lengths of the day so farming them is easy.

What this means is that dogs cannot possibly be kept ethically for the purposes of meat. It isn't hypocritical to recognise this, in my opinion, same way we recognise gorillas being killed for bush meat is needlessly cruel and environmentally dangerous.

If dogs were able to be farmed we would have done it already. We haven't because they are rubbish at being farmed, ethical considerations aside. The dog meat festival was born out of the ridiculous idea of the magical properties of dog meat - basically hocus pocus. Slaughtering animals that a) can never be kept humanely for the purposes of meat, b) provide next to no nutritional value, and c) is slaughtered en masse as a celebration of magic, is just wrong in my opinion.
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So @LOQ you object to farming them but if i happened to come across a stray that had been a predatory scavenger its whole life id be okay with eating that one?

And @ ZaraD there are plenty of people who love their pigs as much or more so then their dogs. one of my coworkers owns a pig that lives in her house and she loves it like a child. She also owns dogs but her pig has a special place in her heart.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Well it is illegal to go out and hunt for your own food here in that way, and I don't agree with hunting in general (especially when its done for fun). But I don't have a moral issue with someone who killed a stray dog humanely to consume it, like someone who shoots a rabbit for dinner. It's weird as dogs aren't very good to eat and come with all sorts of parasites and diseases.
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Yes but there are far more people who love dogs more and don't see dogs in the same light , I am only trying to awnser your question, not saying people don't love pigs but in general there are More people who love dogs more and don't like the thought of them being eaten but are used to people eating pigs.

As I said the people who have a problem with the festival is because they don't see pigs in the same light as dogs.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

@LoQ that's valid. i can go with the "its cruel to farm them" theory, so long as its consistent and would allow hunting. i dont think thats why most people are protesting, but i can go with it =P
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ask yourself how would you feel if someone stole Bax to eat him?

As not all dogs being killed at the Yulin festival are strays some are people's pet dogs who were stolen. And they get beaten , clubbed before even being killed , there are videos out there of them being skinned alive , the thought of a poor dog being skinned alive makes me shiver with horrid.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

the thought of a poor dog being skinned alive makes me shiver with horrid.
@ZaraD... do yourself a favor and never look up how bacon gets on your plate.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I don't eat bacon anyway as I said I don't eat meat.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

okay, dairy then. ever heard of a rape wheel?
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:17 am okay, dairy then. ever heard of a rape wheel?
Nope but I make my own dairy I have a cheesecakes and make my own from my own milk that I also make myself. I have cashew milk, cashew cheese, cashew yogurt.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Most people are incredibly hypocritical when it comes to animal welfare - me included. I'm vegetarian, but suspect there are more welfare issues attached to dairy farming than beef farming. And I will lovingly move a slow worm to the side of the path, then go and murder the slugs in my garden :oops:

On paper, logically, eating dog meat is no worse than eating bacon etc., IF the dog has only suffered to the same extent that the pig has. Possibly a dog suffers more because of the type of animal he is - a pig may well be less stressed when in very close confines with a load of other pigs - I don't know enough about pigs to say.

But I think it's OK to be hypocritical. Yes, I feel worse about the death of cute animals than ugly ones. I feel worse about the suffering of dogs because I have 'got inside' a dog's brain and can sense just how deeply he feels, and how much he suffers when he's scared, because I can emphasise - I can relate it to how I'd feel if I was scared. I also feel more when it's a sighthound suffering than another sort of dog, but objectively, of course, they type of is irrelevant. I also give to (amongst others) a donkey charity, not because I think they are more deserving than other animals, bue because they tug on my heart.

I have a friend who used to raise her own free-range chickens for eggs and meat. They lived an idyllic life, were handled lovingly, and would be completely relaxed in her arms being stroked right up to the moment she pulled their necks (no, I don't think I could :wink: ). But she'd still have people tell her she was being cruel, and she should get her chickens from the supermarket (2 for £5) instead. How do you get to be so stupid?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I have a friend who used to raise her own free-range chickens for eggs and meat. They lived an idyllic life, were handled lovingly, and would be completely relaxed in her arms being stroked right up to the moment she pulled their necks (no, I don't think I could :wink: ). But she'd still have people tell her she was being cruel, and she should get her chickens from the supermarket (2 for £5) instead. How do you get to be so stupid?
those people are a special kidn of stupid O.o
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There's a lot of them about though!

Another thing to bear in mind is that substitutes for dairy such as cashew or almond milk also have one hell of an environmental impact - the land needed to produce these can result in the loss of wildlife habitat, causing the suffering and death of many animals, including primates. Similarly for a lot of the foodstuffs vegetarians & vegans would eat more of, such as avocados (I get through a lot of avocados :oops: ).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009