Should I change to harness?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Should I change to harness?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

So yesterday on our walk one of the dog owners we met asked why I don't walk Sampson and Lara by a harness as it's better for them then by collars as the neck is the most sensitive part of there body so it's better for them to be walked by a harness you can clip from the back.

Just wanted to ask is it better as I just clip the leads to there collars?
Nettle

Re: Should I change to harness?

Post by Nettle »

I often recommend harnesses to people who are working on problems, but I have never put one on my own dogs because I don't have those problems.

If it ain't broke, no need to "fix" it because of something a random dog walker has said. :) And any harness with a back ring teaches a dog to pull. There should be one ring at the chest and one by the neck, and the dog should be walked off two leads or a double-ended lead while under training. After that, the forward ring should be sufficient.

Were her dogs walking nicely?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:48 am I often recommend harnesses to people who are working on problems, but I have never put one on my own dogs because I don't have those problems.

If it ain't broke, no need to "fix" it because of something a random dog walker has said. :) And any harness with a back ring teaches a dog to pull. There should be one ring at the chest and one by the neck, and the dog should be walked off two leads or a double-ended lead while under training. After that, the forward ring should be sufficient.

Were her dogs walking nicely?
One was , the other was dragging her on it. Both Sampson and Lara are very well behaved on the lead and I'm glad you agree with me nettle if it ain't broke don't fix it, as I did not want to change when there use to and happy by collar and they both walk really good on lead.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Having a dog who will walk lovely for the most part, but will then bolt off in a random direction after a butterfly / cat / bird / bit of paper I personally prefer harnesses. He's still walked on a collar heading out, however, as he hates harnesses and will sulk if I put one on before he gets to the park. :lol:

Another thing I really appreciate about harnesses is the handles you can have on them. So must easier to grab Merlin to make sure he doesn't go over and pester children / bikers / joggers if I'm not sure he'll keep his 'wait.' But that could just be because he's a long haired breed and if I try and grab his collar often times I'm getting fluff.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax wears a harness because he used to pull like crazy. he always just had it frotn clipped. then his pulling got better and at some point i switched to a back clip? not sure why? and he walks fine on it. hes kind all over the place but i prefer to let him wander around and sniff and if i tell him to get going he doesnt pull. i dontlet him off leash so we mostly just do stop and sniff walks where we're going at his pace so he doesnt pull.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Sandy pulls and Chile’s himself trying to get st another dog, cat, squirrel, etc.

We have tried harnesses of various types, and he hates them. He just stands there and shakes trying to get rid of it, that’s if he let’s us put it on him. He has growled at me.
He doesn’t even like a sweater or jacket. That winter we were in Maine, he went out on the snow naked. :shock:

He just shakes and shakes trying to get any jackets, sweaters, harness, etc. off of him. And, he won’t even walk with it. :oops:

So, we have given up. If he doesn’t have enough sense not to choke himself, I don’t know what to do.
He’s also slipped out of his cloak a couple of times, so I have to make sure it is not too loos which isn’t good either.
It’s a no win situation.

And, I agree, that even though he is short haired, he is much easier to grab to pick up to get him under control when he is bezerk.
And, I’ve tried so many different harnesses, that I am at a loss. I guess if we had gotten him as a puppy, we could have him get used to it.but, he was a year old when we adopted him, and if any of you remember, he has always been very stubborn.he gets into that statue mode and won’t move. That’s what the harness and jackets do.

So, after working with Sandy for over 7 years, trying high value treats & everything, we have given up.
If he wants to choke, that is his problem. One would think he would have learned he’s hurtimg himself, but he hasn’t. :roll:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We all do what suits us and our individual situations. :)

Just for info, very hard-pulling dogs get to a stage where they are releasing endorphins, so are in a state of euphoria rather than pain.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Nettle,
Nettle wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 amJust for info, very hard-pulling dogs get to a stage where they are releasing endorphins, so are in a state of euphoria rather than pain.
I had not thought of that. :shock:
No wonder he is excited also when he sees dogs, cats, ducks, horses, etc. on TV. He is getting his endorphins going. :P
No wonder we have not been successful of breaking him of it....if I’m holding Sandy while watching TV, & dog comes on, I say “see doggie, get chicken!” But, if not holding him, he runs right to the TV & jumps trying to get whatever it is. He doesn’t turn to us & beg for chicken (his high value reward).

All I’ve been able to do outside is to say, “Let’s go” and start running (as much as I can with cane) to opposite direction & find a different distraction.

Thanks for the explanation.
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09