What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

google images tells me probably not. it looks like either a mostly healed sore or perhaps a bite of some kind? its got a fairly round regular border and isnt red or inflamed at all. its just a round... crater?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Could it be a tick bite? They leave holes when they drop off.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

heres a pic. its a bit blurry but photographing a moving terrier is about as easy as it sounds. notice the pinkness of the surrounding skin. thats new, i think its irritated cause he keeps licking it. but its also not usually bare like that either.

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

reguardless of the CAUSE my boss thinks hes making a hot spot. does this immediatly merit a trip to the vet or is there something i can do at home? he just wont stop licking =(
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I would take him to a vet personally, or pop some cream on it and bandage it up / put a cone of shame on him so he can't lick it. The vets will have some good topical creams to give you that you can't get anywhere else though. I would cone of shame him up from now on though, the more he irritates it the worse it'll get.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

When my dog gets a hot spot (she's a pembroke corgi), I use the blow up donut collar to keep her from being able to lick it. I personally cannot stand the cones and won't use them on my dog (personal preference, not a judgement on those who do choose to use them). The donut collar works great and does not take her peripheral vision away the way a cone does. It also allows her to eat, drink, play and maneuver steps easily and safely.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

good news i made a vet appointment!!!!

... bad news its 2 weeks from now...sigh....
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Blimey... is that sort of wait normal, or is it because of your work shifts?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

uhhhh i think its cause of work. i cant come in until after 530 cause of work. the only reason i got in when idid is cause they have limited saturday availablity.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There must be loads of people who work all day who would struggle to get to the vet then? I know, obviously, if it was an emergency you'd find a way, but what about all the people who just want to get their cats' boosters done but work full time? And you don't even get much annual leave in the US, do you?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i have 4 days leave. annually. :cry: :cry: :cry:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Four days???? :shock: That's crazy. I thought in the US a couple of weeks was standard - in the UK you're entitled to 20 days (if working full time) plus 8 days bank holidays.

So you can't even go away for a week's holiday :(
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

14 days is traditional for us for full time but i was gyped when i started and i was a nub (first full time job) and didnt know anybetter and i really love my job so im unfortunately stuck with it. (apparently they shaft everyone, its not just me. my coworker who has the same position as me finally has about 2 weeks off... because hes worked there a DECADE)
they ware however pretty generous with official holidays, we get at least 11 i think? including our birthday but we can take the official holiday day any time that month so if you wanted to you could work that holiday and then take the paid day off later. or you can just work the holiday and get over time... which is what i usually do.

edit: what i AM doing for holiday is my family rents cabins in the mountain for a week in july. my rents are going up a week early. so im driving up firday after work (they'll prolly let me out a lil early if i ask) stay sat, sun, mon, teus, and then wednesday is july 4 so i get it off as holiday and i drive back that day.... so im really getting like.... almost a week?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ask your vet practice to contact you if they get any cancellations.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hoping Bax does well. :( Is there a vet facility in your area that has different hours, or any chance of getting him in on a lunch break for a quick exam?

I've decided to get into Nosework finally, so I looked to our local good dog sports facility aaand...they're remodeling over the summer. No classes til the fall. :(

But Fenzi has a new session starting in June, with registration opening Tuesday, so I guess I'm going to finally take a Fenzi class! Debating gold v silver. Both my and Delta's birthdays are in June though, so this may be a present to both of us. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14