What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

I'm right on the coast, and dogs are banned from the beaches until winter.

Just takes a few to spoil it for everybody. :(
Last edited by Nettle on Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

I try to avoid the beach local to me if it's busy but the nature of summers in Scotland means that seldom happens and we can use it most of the time (we are on holiday at the moment and the beach here prohibits dogs). But I read somewhere that the UK coastline belongs to the Crown, so local authorities or other agencies who put up the notices banning dogs at certain times actually have no legal authority to do so.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

the gorge just opened up by us and im tempted to take bax even though they say no dogs alowed (plenty of people do anyway) but the paths cant pretty narrow in places and id ont want him to tangle someone up in his lead
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We need both dog friendly and non-dog friendly beaches - it would just take Jasper moments to do a less-than-perfect poo, have a good scrat, and send horrible pooey sand all over the place, which wouldn't be at all pleasant for young children digging in the sand. And if your dog is off lead it is easy to turn your back for a moment and not notice them do a poo, or not be able to find it when you get to where you think he did it.

And as for ice creams and picnics, and ball games... :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Off on holibobs to Norfolk soon - made sure all the beaches local are dog friendly. :lol: One of them has seals though, so I think a longline for there for everyone's sanity.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I love Norfolk, LoQ - whereabouts are you going? It would be the perfect holiday spot for us if it wasn't so far away.

You might have heard, but there's been some concern about dogs dying after (it is thought) eating contaminated starfish on North Norfolk beaches. It looks like the risk is very low though - more info here, but I don't know if there's some more up-to-date info anywhere: http://www.eastern-ifca.gov.uk/psp-toxi ... ng-update/
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

We're staying in Stiffkey, right next to the salt marshes, three diff beaches, and the pine forest nature reserve! I am so excited. Merlin loves the beach but being in the West Mids it is a rare trip there. There is a river at the bottom of the garden aswell, incase its too hot for fluffy pants and he wants to cool off!

I read about the dogs dying, its why we held off on the holiday (were originally going Feb time). I read that it was due to the storms we had that washed creatures ashore that aren't normally there, aswell as palm oil. Some dogs ate crabs and died. I've bought him another muzzle that properly fits just incase he is a seafood eater (he wasn't last beach trip luckily!).

This is the cottage; https://www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/north ... ys-cottage
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Were going to Blackpool for the day , Sampson loves the big park they have and he loves the beach, it will be Lara's first time there.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Beautiful cottage LoQ, we normally stay in haven caravans.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh wow, have fun there! Blackpool is far too busy for me. :lol: I prefer my beaches mostly empty with a couple of other dog walkers. Hope Lara enjoys the sea, do you know if she's ever been to a beach before?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, what a fantastic location & views! We've stayed in Brancaster - best beach in the world!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:59 am Oh, what a fantastic location & views! We've stayed in Brancaster - best beach in the world!
That isn't a long drive from Stiffkey at all! We might visit it. :)
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:36 am Oh wow, have fun there! Blackpool is far too busy for me. :lol: I prefer my beaches mostly empty with a couple of other dog walkers. Hope Lara enjoys the sea, do you know if she's ever been to a beach before?
I have no idea, but I don't think she's seen water before in that way as when I got the baby paddle pool out I brought Sampson he jumps in straight away but Lara looked at me as if what am I supposed to do with that :lol: , it will be interesting to see what she thinks of the beach, but I'm going to make everything positive for her, we love Blackpool and it's Sampson's favourite place as he loves the park there as you can have a bite to eat at the café then Sampson loves meeting all the doggies there,
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 am
JudyN wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:59 am Oh, what a fantastic location & views! We've stayed in Brancaster - best beach in the world!
Oh you MUST! You can walk down to the beach along the sea wall, and often, in the last week of June, we could see for miles in either direction and not see a single soul - at most a handful of dog walkers - and very few signs of human life.

Titchwell Nature Reserve, just a little further on, is a must too IMO, though you do have to keep dogs on lead. Last time we went, a stoat appeared on the path in front of us and did a mad stoat happy dance which really made my day. Luckily J wasn't too intrigued by it!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:33 am
Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 am
Oh you MUST! You can walk down to the beach along the sea wall, and often, in the last week of June, we could see for miles in either direction and not see a single soul - at most a handful of dog walkers - and very few signs of human life.

Titchwell Nature Reserve, just a little further on, is a must too IMO, though you do have to keep dogs on lead. Last time we went, a stoat appeared on the path in front of us and did a mad stoat happy dance which really made my day. Luckily J wasn't too intrigued by it!
It is now on our list! We're there for a week so we need places to visit. Merlin will be fine on a flexi or longline so long as he's been able to have an energy burn just before it along the beach so not too worried about him needing to be on lead.

We're planning two days lots of walking, then one day of rest for the dog whilst we go off to explore Wells Next To the Sea. Then two days walking, one day rest. It worked well last holiday. For two days he was like YEAH! ALL DAY HIKES! Then the third day he was like 'Yeah... Pick me up please.' :lol: