What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

I'll look forward very much to seeing your notes, Erica.

It saddens me to see so many dogs with obvious gait issues signalling problems, completely unknown to their owners. I think there is a gap in the veterinary check-up consultation for gait analysis.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Hope Sky heals well and she is soon on the mend. Poor girl. :(

@Erica I am looking forward to reading your notes too! Especially on reactivity.

Merlin's ear is causing him issues so the appointment can't come soon enough. After lots of emails and harassing I think the vets are going to let him be sedated in the consultation room with us present, he's going to be in a room on his own for nervous dogs, and he's going to be given back to us as soon as possible. Eased my fears, but I bet they think I'm a pain in the backside now. :lol:

He's still going out on his walks as it takes his mind off his ear and he's so happy off lead (on lead he's still a jerk and he barked at a jogger on friday :(), but I've not been able to do any training or tricks with him. He has absolutely no patience for that at the moment, poor boy. In the house he's also reluctant to do much of anything other than sleep.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The poor lad :( My vets have always let me stay with Jasper while they sedate him - one was a little unsure about me staying when she wanted to put stitches in under sedation, but I think she realised I wasn't going to get upset or pass out, and that J would stay a lot calmer if I was there. It was only when she decided that it really had to be done under full GA after all that I had to leave.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Bloods = normal (though thyroid isn't checked yet). Ear was an infection that wasn't healing due to a build up of wax. Urine = normal. His scavanging hasn't killed him yet!

They also slipped in his kennel cough vaccine and gave his tail a good brush. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's good :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Thyroid came back normal too! His miserableness was hopefully due to his ear. Lets hope he's back to being his happy crazy self soon.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's been a bit snarky when I've fastened his muzzle the last couple of days :? I'm not sure what's going on, but he's never done this before. His ears seem fine, there's no sign of discomfort (though he did have a new Seresto collar put on just over a week ago).

Though he was also a bit reactive when we had a walk in the park with DS2 and his GF at the weekend - I put that down to him feeling he had to protect the 'puppies' or something. And this morning he only wanted a poo walk....
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*nod* bax was a bit off on sunday when we went to the nursing home. i think he's starting to pick up on cues like me getting my keys and he knows a car ride is imminent. he spooked and ran through the house and refused to be lured close for me to put on his harness.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh dear what has gotten into Jasper and Bax? Maybe its the weather! Sun is coming out so dogs act weird. :lol:

Hope all is well with Jasper and he's just having a bit of a blip.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks LoQ. He has rubbed his ear a couple of times this afternoon so I'm not ruling out ear infection - but OH gave him a good ear rub when he came home without any problems (just as well as J tends to stick his nose in OH's groin when he gets an ear rub...), and last time he had an ear infection it looked as if he had mashed potato in there... Getting the muzzle on this afternoon was fine as I stuck a bit of dried meat on a shelf and asked him to wait. I also did a bit of ear drop training on the walk which he had no problem with. He did grumble at a couple of dogs who sniffed him when he was on lead though.

Time will tell...

How does Merlin seem now?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm Thanks LoQ. He has rubbed his ear a couple of times this afternoon so I'm not ruling out ear infection - but OH gave him a good ear rub when he came home without any problems (just as well as J tends to stick his nose in OH's groin when he gets an ear rub...), and last time he had an ear infection it looked as if he had mashed potato in there... Getting the muzzle on this afternoon was fine as I stuck a bit of dried meat on a shelf and asked him to wait. I also did a bit of ear drop training on the walk which he had no problem with. He did grumble at a couple of dogs who sniffed him when he was on lead though.

Time will tell...

How does Merlin seem now?
Merlin is still to get back to 100% after his sedation. We took him out today as a distraction from his ear (he is constantly rubbing it along the floor and shaking his head - they plucked out all his ear hair and put slow dissolving gel in it so I can imagine it very itchy at the moment). He attempted to play with a few puppies but didn't have the energy. We tried frisbee but he would chase it then lay down next it and just roll around. :lol:

From my recent experience with Merlin and his ear, he would let me scratch it and rub it despite there being a small infection there (he actually liked that as I guess it helped with the irritation). He did rub his ear along the floor and shake his head, and he held it slightly down on one side at times. Maybe Jasper has the beginnings of a mild infection?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pmMaybe Jasper has the beginnings of a mild infection?
Yep, I'm not ruling it out. Though you'd think if he's happy to have a good ear rub, having his muzzle done up wouldn't be a problem. But hey, this is Jasper :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm
Yep, I'm not ruling it out. Though you'd think if he's happy to have a good ear rub, having his muzzle done up wouldn't be a problem. But hey, this is Jasper :lol:
Maybe he's grumpy that you didn't give him a scratch while you're back there. :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hip hip huzzah! three cheers for puppy amnesty! Kirby is now 6 months old and bax had not one but TWO delightful mini play dates with him, one pre walk and one post, where they hung out and played. Kirby is now bigger than Bax and has lost 90% of his shyness which was adorable to see. apparently bax is the only doggy friend kirby has which is sad but........ BEST NEWS OF ALL she's invited me over whenever to have play dates! apparently shes currently unemployed and invited me to bring bax by whenever so they can play. im so excited! i hope that as kirby grows if bax keeps playing him he maaaybbbee wooonnttt notice hes getting older? and puppy amnesty will last? if i keep them seeing each other regularly?

*fingers crossed* lets keep the magic of puppies playing alive! :P :P :P :P
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13