Crufts

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Crufts

Post by JudyN »

Well, that was an interesting end to Crufts :shock:

The winner was the whippet, who looked extremely chilled for a whippet. But she'd only just been lifted onto the podium when someone, presumably a protester, ran into the ring, just behind the podium. The whippet owner immediately snatched up her dog and some security guards (I assume) ran after the protestor and removed them. As usual, the cameras moved away from the 'interesting stuff', and cut to a shocked Clare Balding talking from the side of the ring into a microphone that didn't work.

Eventually calm was restored, the whippet was returned to the podium, and they carried on. But now her ears were back and she was shaking a little. What I noticed most was that when she was 'posing' earlier, her tail curved between her back legs and pointed to the ground. After the affray, it curved between her legs but now curved back up, pointing at her belly.

I can't find anything to say what the protestor - assuming they were protesting - was protesting about, but to be honest there's plenty of good reasons to protest about dog showing at this level.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Don't know how I missed this thread :roll: :lol: , I was in shock at first I thought he was trying to snatch the whippet but now thinking back maybe he just wasn't happy the whippet won either way he's an idiot, I heard a guy behind me say oh them dame west ham fans pitch invading again :lol: .
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I expect it was a more general protest rather than protesting about the result.

If he was planning on making off with the winning dog, he'd have been delighted at the whippet winning rather than the newfie or the akita :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Found this , he was a protester but not sure what he was protesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stage.html
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Crufts have made a statement on twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/Crufts/statu ... gr%5Etweet
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ah, thank you. I'm not a fan of PETA. Though I do have a little sympathy with their views about the breeding of some breeds.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Not a fan of PETA, but I can get behind a lot of their campaigns (namely the fur trade & seaworld types). Can understand why they would be protesting crufts since it is a parade of the unhealthy a great deal of the time, but they shouldn't have frightened the dogs like that. Poor whippet looked very rattled.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

This is what they are protesting as they put this on twitter a few hours before the protest https://mobile.twitter.com/PETAUK/statu ... 5976373253

Frightening the poor dogs in the ring are only going to make people go against them not support them, I agree with some things they say but I disagree with what they have done at crufts and there claiming all pedigree dogs live in pain and they don't giant schnauzer are not as bad as pugs or bulldogs I understand to the extent of the breeds who are in need of help but to claim all pedigree dogs is just not true , greyhounds and salukis are pretty healthy.