What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by ZaraD »

Well half way through season 3 of games of thrones and iv got bored and am really fed up of the sex scenes. Stopped watching now as I just can't be bothered to see what happens.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We walked home along the local trailway this afternoon after doing Upton Heath. I used to put Jasper on lead for the trailway as otherwise he'd go off exploring and could easily get into someone's back garden, but now he's more likely to plod along with me or sniff the verges on the way home from a long walk, so I don't put him on lead until we get closer to roads. This afternoon though, his attention was caught by something - about 50' away, at the end of the back gardens, was a cat :shock: He's never enountered a cat while off-lead before, so I thought 'Oh s***' But I said, 'Come along, it's not for you' a couple of times... and he followed me! :P :P :P I was amazed, and of course he got a load of treats :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am We walked home along the local trailway this afternoon after doing Upton Heath. I used to put Jasper on lead for the trailway as otherwise he'd go off exploring and could easily get into someone's back garden, but now he's more likely to plod along with me or sniff the verges on the way home from a long walk, so I don't put him on lead until we get closer to roads. This afternoon though, his attention was caught by something - about 50' away, at the end of the back gardens, was a cat :shock: He's never enountered a cat while off-lead before, so I thought 'Oh s***' But I said, 'Come along, it's not for you' a couple of times... and he followed me! :P :P :P I was amazed, and of course he got a load of treats :D
That's fantastic Judy , well done jasper :D , I only let Sampson off if I now we're in the middle of nowhere were there are no roads near by as he'll go after anything small and furry :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

OH has suggested that he was particularly good because he was off lead and could do the decision-making himself, whereas on lead, he has no choice and it's me stopping him doing what he wants, which is interesting psychology. He's fine now with cats we see in driveways when we go past, but I wouldn't walk him up a road where we can see a cat ahead of us in the direction we want to go - he'd probably still boil over and have a tantrum then.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I think your OH is right. If off lead I can call Merlin and walk to heel past a dog and he couldn't give two figs about saying hello (unless other dog looks playful). On lead he'll pull towards the dog no matter what and get vocal. Its like when it is his choice he acts like a grown up, when its my choice its BUT MUUUUUM.

Well done Jasper!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Yesterday my sister and her fiance came round with a new addition to there family, they have taken on his parents dog, 13 month old female leonberger :shock: , I still don't think it's a good idea when she's expecting but they have both been around the dog since she was a pup so knows both of them very well. His parents are moving and in the new place there not allowed dogs so that's why they have taken her on as they both already have loved her since she was 8 weeks old. She's very well behaved , not barked once , just lyed right near my sister the whole time and at one point went asleep. My sister said leons are very laid back, very calm and chilled and just lovely dogs.

Then my brother came round with his family (just him , his wife and three children) the tow older ones (8+12) always send Sampson into an excited state and I know he could knock them over so Sampson had to go in the dining room while they were in the living room, my sister said Jessie (leonberger) will be fine. When they came in the wanted to stroke the lion :roll: :lol: so they did but Jessie just lyed there then when they finished stroking her she went up and said hello to my brother and his wife she just got up walked over and sat by then and I thought I wish Sampson could do that he gets way to excited so I wait until he's a lot more calmer then I have to get him to sit. She was great with there baby the third child 1yr old Jessie was great with her when my sister in law put her on her lap Jessie just sniffed and then picked her foot and she laughed it was really cute. Sampson hates babies so he can't say hello but I couldn't believe how tolarent and friendly she was , in the end I think my sister will be fine.there also using dolls to get her use to see a baby in her home and there playing CD with baby noises on. The pram arrives today so there going to get her use to walking alongside.

I asked if all leonbergers are like this and she said yes but only the ones who come from good breeders, good bloodlines, who have been raised well by both breeder and owner and who have been very, very socialized and well trained and who get enough love, care, physical and mental exercise. True leonbergers.

She said once she has given birth and her twins are older enough she will definitely be getting another leonberger. She said there half Newfoundland, with at Bernard and pyrean mountain dog making the rest. That gives you a leonberger but they have more Newfoundland in them that's why there so gentle.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Happy Chinese new year everyone it's the year of the dog this year. I'm a dog so it my year, hope it's a good one.

Ordering from my local Chinese tonight to celebrate :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper met his deerhound friend E this morning. She's nearly two and is having her second season. She was also with a medium-sized terrier, who spent a lot of time with his paws on her back but standing at her side, not really doing anything, like he was leaning on a bar counter :lol: Jasper thought she smelt loooooovely, but we were chatting for a good ten minutes before he started thinking about climbing onboard so we quickly departed then.

Now, today's poser: over the last couple of weeks, J has stood in front of my sofa (when I'm not on it), looking at me, looking at it and asking. I've assumed he wanted to go on the sofa so I've given him permission, but he's not gone on. I've taken the cushions off because sometimes they fall over on him which is the scariest thing ever. I've put a blanket over it in case that convinces him he's allowed on. But each time he goes and lies somewhere else.

I think this has tended to happen when the sun's on the sofa, and my best hypothesis so far is that he's not asking for permission to go on the sofa, he's asking me to move the sunny patch to where he wants to lie :roll: :lol: Any better ideas?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds a good translation.

Alternatively he could be asking for/telling you something else. For instance, our terrier will stand on her hindlegs and bat my legs with her front paws if she needs to go out, and also to ask me to switch the fire on/turn it up if she is cold.

Lurchers, however - stare. :shock: They send us thought waves. And must get quite :? when we don't seem to receive the transmission.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 amThey send us thought waves.
:lol:

When Jasper was bein housetrained he'd do the stand and stare thing at the back door even when we were in the front room. But then why wouldn't thought waves carry through walls and round corners?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I discovered a new recall technique yesterday :D

Jasper had discovered something, goodness knows what, buried in the earth in the park and would not leave it. It was right by the playground, and the combination of children and him with something high-value isn't ideal, but he'd have reacted if we'd gone and dragged him away. We'd walked on a little way but didn't want to go out of sight. So I told OH to hide behind a tree, went back to J, and said, 'Find Daddy! Where's Daddy?!' This tapped into the slightly insecure bit of his brain: 'Omigod, has Daddy gone wandering off on his own again? He can't be trusted, we need to keep the pack TOGETHER! I need to find him now!!' So off he rushed, and when he found OH we threw a little party for him.

I'm wondering if 'Find Granny' would give 100% recall, and how many times I could use it without my mum being present before it stopped working.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

"Find Daddy" is fine if Daddy is there to be found, but we can only lie to a dog once, and we've lost that precious response.

Lotsa, do you know the tomato sauce fox poo stink removal system? I'm told baby wipes have the same effect, but have never tried them. I appreciate that you are dealing with a difficult coat.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Never heard of tomato sauce and fox poo! Does it make it easier to get out aswell? If its sunny we get away with most horrid things since his coat is like teflon - if it dries everything just brushes out with a bit of dry shampoo for the stink. Unfortunately its not sunny and he hates hairdryers and he managed to get it right down to his skin. :lol:

His coat is very difficult to work with at the moment because his undercoat is blowing. He has shampoo & conditioner, spray in conditioner, and Cowboy Magic silk rub and he is still knotty there :(. Brushing it through in small bouts so he doesn't get upset with the pulling. Generally we brush pre bath otherwise the undercoat just matts up REALLY quick if its blowing and gets wet, but it was a case of getting the stinky dog in the shower before our brand new rugs became not so brand new. Sorting out his knots before I try to get rid of the remaining stink at this point!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 am "Find Daddy" is fine if Daddy is there to be found, but we can only lie to a dog once, and we've lost that precious response.
I shall save it for life-and-death emergencies then - which hopefully will never happen :D