What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Never had a dog that refused a walk due to rain... Have had a cat that refused to go out in it and thought the front door is a portal and that everytime you open and close it the weather will be different. Same cat, when we were securing a new front door, thought the portal still worked even though it was laying on its side in the front garden. He sat there scratching at that thing to come in despite the new front door being wide open and all of us watching the moron. Loved that stupid thing. He also bit all of my boyfriends and tried to suffocate them in their sleep, so I knew he loved me too... :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm Never had a dog that refused a walk due to rain... Have had a cat that refused to go out in it and thought the front door is a portal and that everytime you open and close it the weather will be different. Same cat, when we were securing a new front door, thought the portal still worked even though it was laying on its side in the front garden. He sat there scratching at that thing to come in despite the new front door being wide open and all of us watching the moron. Loved that stupid thing. He also bit all of my boyfriends and tried to suffocate them in their sleep, so I knew he loved me too... :roll:
I think it must just be him as iv never know of a dog to not enjoy rain :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've known plenty :lol: especially our terriers, but they have to go out and get exercise no matter how they plead!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Terriers would be the divas :roll: :roll: :roll:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Interesting, so it's not just him :D

I made up for him not getting out much yesterday because of the rain , it was a nice day so I took him out for the day to Blackpool and we spent half of the day enjoying the beach which he LOVED and I loved seeing him roll in the sand and just go crazy with excitement :lol: :D the other half was spent playing at this great park they have in Blackpool , he was also treated to an ice cream (without the cone :lol: ) which got very messy on his beard :lol: . Then when I got home I was doing the washing up and my mom was laughing at me as I was singing this https://youtu.be/DyDjpGzdNE4

And Sampson was just lying there by my feet listening. I wonder if he knows what I'm saying? Or in my case singing :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lotsa, that dog is damned cute!

Today I met a little dog - let's call him KD for Kitchen Dog - who has been with his current owner for 3 years. Prior to that, D was shut in the kitchen. Just shut in the kitchen. No walks, no training, only company for a few hours a week. Didn't even know his name (which was changed when his home changed).

Once settled with New Owner (who is wonderful) D's method of dealing with anyone/anything he met was to charge at it barking. New Owner walks with a few other owners all of whom have Joe Cool dogs. So KD had a masterclass in everyone ignoring him. Same when we met - he'd charge at us barking, and we'd all ignore him. New Owner worked steadily and gently on Rewarding Quiet.

For the last few months, including this morning, KD toddled up to us and gave a proper dog greeting. Not one woof.

Well done, New Owner and KD. Heartwarming.

Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

If you want it done right - do it yourself.

Humans weren’t as thorough with towels as they should have been, after insisting on walking in the rain this morning.

No problem, The Independent Thinker can find his own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89JmoM34tKg

:lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Economical use of time for Ari there! Scratch, play and dry all in one. Genius!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Very clever, Ari :lol: Though Jasper says it can be even more efficient - and entertaining - to squeeze between your owners' legs :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Very cute Ari! My dogs choose to use the rugs, or the throw on the seat of the couch. :lol:

The warmer weather recently has brought out people with dogs. :(

It isn't all bad though. My two have managed to behave reasonably well. There are still the occasional dog that we come across that they both go bonkers over and then Sirius re-directs to Sky. Once Days are longer, they will go back to separate walks.

I did find myself standing in the middle of somebody's yard a couple of days ago. Usually I dodge off of the sidewalk into somebody's driveway. However this time the driveway was occupied with vehicles. One of which had just discharged a passenger who went into the house. I was too far away at the time to determine more detail. It turned out to be a child, who came back out of the house as I was standing in the middle of his yard and he proceeded to remain standing by his door looking at me like I was crazy, until the other dog had passed and I left the yard. I did explain that I was waiting for the other dog to pass, and as I left, I thanked him.

We had encountered a dog that I couldn't identify definately. It was either from across the street a few houses up, or from my side of the street from a house we had just recently passed. The dog across the street is mostly unknown although older and has not been reactive towards my two at that distance The one from the house we had just recently passed is known to throw himself against the fence when we go by. We were in a stretch where all of the yards have fences right up against the sidewalk. Fortunately the yard I ended up in had hedges along the fence, so provided a visual barrier as well as physical. Sirius perked up and other dog looked our way, but that was the extent of the dog's reactions towards each other.

Having more time the following day, I took the dogs separately. Sirius shorted herself again by starting off around the block and bypassing both of the entrances to the park. She then wanted to cross the street when we got back to our street, but I had spent the day cleaning my parent's house and stil had Sky to take for a walk, so Sirius was out of luck on that one. I was glad I had ignored her as we encountered a friend of mine who walks 5 or 6 mostly black dogs of various sizes. Her dogs and my dogs are not friends. Friend was on the other side of the street, 2 parking and 2 traffic lanes separating us and Sirius and one of her dogs still had issues with each other. Had I allowed Sirius to take the route she had indicated she wanted to go, we would have encountered the other dogs head on.

Sky did her usual routine walk. As we were entering the park, we encountered the friendly husky and pom coming out of the park. Even though the dogs interact through the fence and seem to get along well, I moved Sky off of the sidewalk and we passed with about a lanes worth of pavement between us.

Sky went to the vet for x rays yesterday. Good news is no evidence of cancer or broken bones. Less good news is calcifications on her elbow joints on her front legs as well as less so on her shoulders. They only x-rayed the front. She has back leg issues as well, but those are better understood. OH and I have been having a bit of a go around about her front leg lameness. Me being not keen on giving her medication that didn't seem to be helping any but had the potential to cause liver damage, and he insisting that she needed a higher doseage, longer term usage. I made him go with me to the vet and at least for yesterday he has a better understanding of what is causing the problem, possible treatments, and reasonable expectations for recovery. We are giving a different medication a 10 day trial to see if it seems to help. We have also been giving her Dasaquin with MSM and Zesty Paws Tumeric and pepper chews. When out and about, she limps less. It used to be none, but has become more consistant recently. She has also had a couple of times where she stopped and held her paw up in the air. The limp is much more pronounced in the house, which is mainly where OH observes things.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

UGH BAXTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has puppy pads. In the room we sleep in. he uses them regularly. He doesnt have accidents. WHY THEN for the LOVE OF GOD does he insist on waking me up in the middle of the night to take him on walk? *cry* your breaking my heart man. Use the damn pads. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Hahahahaha, you should be celebrating!! :lol:

My Stupid Person of the Year award goes to a woman who I meet in the park quite often, who always gives J treats. The other day she explained to J that she didn't have any treats left because she'd met so many other dogs, and only had crumbs left. She then put her hand in her pocket, pulled out a bag which did, indeed, have a lot of crumbs in it, wave it under J's nose to show him that there were no treats, only crumbs and then, to J's great distress, put it back in her pocket.

Silly woman - doesn't she understand that crumbs are made out of FOOD??? :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

JudyN wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 am Hahahahaha, you should be celebrating!! :lol:

My Stupid Person of the Year award goes to a woman who I meet in the park quite often, who always gives J treats. The other day she explained to J that she didn't have any treats left because she'd met so many other dogs, and only had crumbs left. She then put her hand in her pocket, pulled out a bag which did, indeed, have a lot of crumbs in it, wave it under J's nose to show him that there were no treats, only crumbs and then, to J's great distress, put it back in her pocket.

Silly woman - doesn't she understand that crumbs are made out of FOOD??? :roll:
Or that dogs don't speak human?

She put her hand in her pocket - she got out the treat bag that smelled of fresh treats - she waggled it in front of him - she didn't give him a treat! :roll:

He would have been justified in accidentally knocking her over and checking all her other pockets for treats.