Breed watch scheme?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Breed watch scheme?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

As some of you know me and mom are planning a second dog in the future and are trying to pick a breed. We now Sampson likes females more than males so our next dog will be a girl. And we want to spend the next tow years choosing and getting to know our next dog breed very well before we bring one into our house. I just want your help in one thing and that's health. One of the main things I want is good health for example I think we all know that German shepherds and pugs and bulldogs can be plaqued with health issues. Mom has been honest and still doesn't want a Golden and Sampson met another rough collie this time a girl and he was besotted with her but she was a lot smaller than the rough collies I removed when I was young and she had loads more coat. So I told mom that I just don't like the way there smaller I like the rough collie from the movies. So there off the list. But as I say we really want a dog who is healthy and good structure so I just wanted to ask about the breed watch scheme as I was shocked to see the rough collie and Golden as categories 2 breeds :shock: . I wanted to ask the breeds who are category 1 breeds the ones with better structure and less health issues compared to categories 2 and 3? As I was thinking of picking a category 1 breed but want to check that these tend to be healthier?

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public
JudyN

Re: Breed watch scheme?

Post by JudyN »

Not necessarily, is the answer. The lists seem to focus on conformation, i.e. things that judges should be aware of and look for, rather than health problems they are susceptible to. So, for instance, King Charles Cavaliers are Category 1 ('Currently no points of concern specific to this breed have been identified for special attention by judges, other than those covered routinely by the Kennel Club Breed Standard'), but if you look at their breed information centre, there are health conditions that are of concern in this breed: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... px?id=6149

And it may well be the case that even with Category 3 breeds, if you are aware of the possible faults, if you find a dog that doesn't exhibit them, you'll have a perfectly healthy dog. So although GRs, for example, can have atrocious hips, if you choose one from parents with excellent hip scores you have nothing to worry about.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:30 am Not necessarily, is the answer. The lists seem to focus on conformation, i.e. things that judges should be aware of and look for, rather than health problems they are susceptible to. So, for instance, King Charles Cavaliers are Category 1 ('Currently no points of concern specific to this breed have been identified for special attention by judges, other than those covered routinely by the Kennel Club Breed Standard'), but if you look at their breed information centre, there are health conditions that are of concern in this breed: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... px?id=6149

And it may well be the case that even with Category 3 breeds, if you are aware of the possible faults, if you find a dog that doesn't exhibit them, you'll have a perfectly healthy dog. So although GRs, for example, can have atrocious hips, if you choose one from parents with excellent hip scores you have nothing to worry about.
Thanks Judy didn't even see the cavalier as 1 and I know very well about the health issues in the breed as my mom use to show them but stopped having them when she saw how unhealthy they were becoming because of bad breeders.

If we want a healthy breed what would your advice be in finding healthy breeds?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The usual - Google something like 'what are healthy dog breeds', which will bring up loads of lists, lthen ook at the selected breeds and see which appeal, Google the breed name and 'health problems', then read, read and read more and use your common sense. Bear in mind that US strains may be different from UK ones, and the difference between working and show lines. And then talk to breeders. There really is so much information out there that's readily available.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:59 am The usual - Google something like 'what are healthy dog breeds', which will bring up loads of lists, lthen ook at the selected breeds and see which appeal, Google the breed name and 'health problems', then read, read and read more and use your common sense. Bear in mind that US strains may be different from UK ones, and the difference between working and show lines. And then talk to breeders. There really is so much information out there that's readily available.
Thanks Judy , deep down I know Sampson is going to love me if our second dog is a sighthound he loves Saluki and Afghan hound, we met one when out at Blackpool and he loved the Afghan so much he started following her rather than me( he was off leash, soon put back on though) he had a hissy fit when I took him away and there's a woman a couple doors down who owns tow and he gets so excited everytime he sees them and go straight into a playbow :lol: he just loves sight hounds :D but the only thing that worries me is a small gene pool in both breeds last year there were less than 100 saluki registered with the KC and just over 100 for the Afghan hound.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Apart from health I want Sampson to be happy with the breed choice and I'm thinking of who is friend's are his doggy friend are my neighbors Dalmatian, tow saluki , a lurcher , Afghan hound and tow beagle's. I think I would be happy with either a Afghan hound or the beagle , funny enough both breeds keep coming up on the most healthy breed list :D .

Beagle's appeal to me a bit more because of there size already having a large dog it would be nice to have a smaller dog but I like beagle's are not too small. But I would be worried about constant barking?