What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

You are so not missing a trick. This is all about one behaviour with new Uncle and another with family. Some people just 'have it' with dogs - Jas may have found him easier to read and knew he was harmless and in control of himself (dogs hate flaky or out of control people) or maybe the chap smelled like First Dad from puppy days.

Whatever - it worked - but it certainly might not have. I'd say carry on just as you are.

The TIMES :roll: I tell people that Babydog doesn't like being touched by strangers......
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's like the words 'He doesn't like his head being touched' are self-deleting. It's just occurred to me that when he gets overexcited in play at home he'll try to hump me, and if I'm already at floor level I can struggle to extricate myself, partly because I'm laughing so much. But if that should happen in the woods and someone saw us...... well, it could be interesting :lol: :lol: :lol:

The real difficulty with Jasper is that he can love the fuss and attention, the ear rubs and neck scratches - until he doesn't.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Shalista wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 am Bax also definitly falls into the "what did i dooooooooo?" category when i step on him.
Seems that small dogs get stepped on a lot....

I always thought it must be difficult to be a small dog among all these huge humans. Being stepped on doesn’t make it any easier :?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Ari_RR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am Seems that small dogs get stepped on a lot....

I always thought it must be difficult to be a small dog among all these huge humans. Being stepped on doesn’t make it any easier :?
They have a habbit of getting under your feet and if you're not looking down you can miss them!

Merlin also got stepped on by his doggy dad, too. Ted would just wander around the room stepping on all of his puppies without a care in the world. He's used to it. :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 am
Ari_RR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am Seems that small dogs get stepped on a lot....

They have a habbit of getting under your feet and if you're not looking down you can miss them!

Merlin also got stepped on by his doggy dad, too. Ted would just wander around the room stepping on all of his puppies without a care in the world. He's used to it. :roll:
Aww poor Merlin :) me and Sampson enjoyed a day out at trentham gardens :D staff members kept looking at me as Sampson kept wanting to eat the flowers :roll: then he goes and pees on some :shock: :oops: luckily nobody saw and I made a sharp exit. Iv also made the hard decision to sell my dog grooming business as even though I love it , I hate the business side of things and never get to see as many dogs as I'd like. So my deputy manager has put an interest in buying it so it stays a dog groomers and I want all my employees to still have jobs as there all very good groomers. I just feel like I want to follow my dream and my original dream was to become a physiotherapist but I didn't have the GCSE to get into uni but last year I redid them and last august got my results and got a Call in maths and B in science and English so I have the right results now so am making the brave decision of returning to college this year to do an access to higher education course in health sciences. Then later this year I'm hoping to apply to university to study physiotherapy. I'm a little nervous as iv not been in education for 10yrs :( .

It also my mom's birthday today I asked what she wanted to do after our day out at trentham gardens and she said later she'd like to just have a takeaway and watch her favourite movie she has not told me what it is yet but she loves Johnny Depp so it will probably be one of his movies. On the subject of movies I'm personally excited for avengers infinity war ( sorry I'm a marvel geek :lol: )

Sampson s new collar and lead should hopefully arrive tomorrow :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Good luck and scary times ahead! It will all be worth it in the end.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, don't think scary, think exciting challenge! You have everything to gain, and the worst that can go wrong is you'll find it's not for you and have to make new plans. Retaking your GCSEs has already shown that you're ready for a challenge.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Judy and lotsaquestions. When I got my GCSE results I asked my teacher if this was right , is this really my results as I didn't think I was capable of achieving a B in science :wink: but when it sunk in , it made me realize that I was capable of becoming a physiotherapist and achieving my dream.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ZaraD wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am my original dream was to become a physiotherapist but I didn't have the GCSE to get into uni but last year I redid them and last august got my results and got a Call in maths and B in science and English so I have the right results now so am making the brave decision of returning to college this year to do an access to higher education course in health sciences.
SOOOOO just giving you a heads up i'm a PTA. not sure if they have those in your country but I'm basically the nurse to a physio's doctor. If you have any questions or anything i'd love to help! (even if its just a shoulder to cry on over anatomy and physiology!)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 am
ZaraD wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am my original dream was to become a physiotherapist but I didn't have the GCSE to get into uni but last year I redid them and last august got my results and got a Call in maths and B in science and English so I have the right results now so am making the brave decision of returning to college this year to do an access to higher education course in health sciences.
SOOOOO just giving you a heads up i'm a PTA. not sure if they have those in your country but I'm basically the nurse to a physio's doctor. If you have any questions or anything i'd love to help! (even if its just a shoulder to cry on over anatomy and physiology!)
Thanks Shalista , I'd like to ask questions but I'm unsure if physiotherapy in the UK is different to US.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'll PM ya :wink:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I saw something really heartwarming this afternoon...

It was grey, cold, raining and miserable so as I walked into the woods I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw what seemed to be someone sitting on the ground under a tree reading a book. But it was, and next to her was a large fluffy ageing GSD. She smiled at me and when I commented that is wasn't the best weather for reading a book under a tree, she gestured to her dog and said that she (the dog) couldn't walk far any more and loved to be outside. So, despite being cold & wet, that's what she did. What a lovely lady :D

I moved on fairly soon as J was a bit too interested in her rucksack which contained treats (she really should have added a flask of cocoa :lol: ), but we met again, in the middle of the open field where her dog had again decided to have a lie-down, after I'd done a whole circuit of the woods. So we stood and chatted in the pouring rain for about 20 minutes about our dogs and their little foibles.

I was quite surprised J put up with standing in the rain for so long while we chatted, but he got his own back when we got home. He had a good old rumpus on our bed, and I now need to change the sheets :roll:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

How lovely, and what a lucky GSD. Reminds me of that whippet who couldn't walk anymore and his owners carried him out on his walks. The things we do for our dogs. This morning was miserable, torrential rain, freezing. I looked at Merlin chewing his chew, I knew he wouldn't give the blindest bit of care to the rain and needed his walk, so we headed out. For three hours. All for him. Met all the other dog walkers doing the exact same thing, their dogs wagging their tails happy to be out whilst their owners shivered and drowned. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Sampson must be the exception here and I must be really lucky, I got ready to go out got my wellies on, got my waterproof trousers on and my coat and I get Sampson's lead he starts getting excited because it's walkies time then I open the door and he looks at me with the most offerned look as if to say I'm not going out in that :lol: I tried tempting him out with cheese his favourite but not and plop went the bottom and he was not moving so I sat near the front door until it stopped raining and got his lead again and he happily walked out the front door with his tail wagging :roll: :lol: , we were out for 2hrs I was lucky that it didn't start raining until we were on our way home and he starting pulling me as it started spitting , everytime I corrected him he looked at me with evil eyes and I could tell he was trying to say I'm not getting wet. By the time we got home it was already pelleting it down and I don't know about anyone else but the wind is really bad here , Sampson was soaked when we got home and the whole time since getting back was making funny noises , I knew he was not happy that he got wet but like Jasper he got his own back he shaked himself off in front of the one thing in the house I love (apart from him and mom) the TV it was caked in wet dog fur :( :shock: :lol: , I dried him off with the hairdryer and he fell asleep while I was drying him :lol: ( everytime the hoover or hairdryer is on he falls asleep) I think that's one of his quirks as most dogs I know hate the hoover :wink: , then the rest of the day it's been raining and very windy so iv been playing with him, doing short training sessions and giving him brain games to keep him occupied as he refused to go out with the rain. He does not get tense or whine he just hates getting wet :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Zara, when you say you are correcting Sampson for pulling, what do you do? There's a loooooooooooong thread on loose-lead walking here which you might find interesting: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858

Jasper is sometimes a little reluctant to go out if it's really wet, but I tend to try to get him out the door because otherwise, I'll just get all my wet-weather togs off and he'll decide he wants to go out after all... then when I open the door he might change his mind again - I could spend all morning putting my coat & shoes on and taking them off again :lol: