What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Assuming owner's name is Sue - you walk along calling sue sue sue sue until she turns and snaps Sue WHAT? Then you explain that is what she is doing to the dog.

The next bit to get across, and boy is it hard - is that he doesn't care what she wants. He cares what HE wants. It's her job to bring the two together using reward, and understanding that it's no good offering a £! reward for £100 behaviour.

There is a saying in the horse world, "Leave your ego at the gate". This is about making doing what she wants worthwhile to him. He doesn't give a stuff about pleasing her. He barely knows her. If she can see it as a business transaction not a moral blackmail effort (so many people think a dog should do what they want because they :roll: "love" it) and rewards are wages, then it should start to make sense to her.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant, Nettle, thank you :D

Jasper was very on edge this morning. The reason? His mince was a bit too on the livery side. He ate it, but he kept giving OH dirty looks, and ate the veg first. He didn't turn nasty, but when OH stood up he did jump up on him and grab his arm. I can understand him getting snarky and guardy when he's left his food but still regards it as a resource, but eating it and still being grumpy and on edge? Crazy dog :lol:

Next time I feed that variety, I'll mix it with something else to reduce the liveriness.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Jasper was born a grumpy old man, I swear lol. I love how dogs think though. 'Oh dinner, yay, I like dinner... Oh hang on... This dinner is nicer than normal... That means they also want to eat it... They always want to eat my stuff...'
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 am That's brilliant, Nettle, thank you :D

Jasper was very on edge this morning. The reason? His mince was a bit too on the livery side. He ate it, but he kept giving OH dirty looks, and ate the veg first. He didn't turn nasty, but when OH stood up he did jump up on him and grab his arm. I can understand him getting snarky and guardy when he's left his food but still regards it as a resource, but eating it and still being grumpy and on edge? Crazy dog :lol:

Next time I feed that variety, I'll mix it with something else to reduce the liveriness.
Jasper has something in common with Sampson (the GS I'm fostering) , Sampson is feed raw but last night and this morning would not eat his food so this morning when he didn't eat it again just sniffed it and the looked at as if I'm suppose to know something so I took the liver out that I put in with offal being part of raw as soon as I took the liver out and swapped it for kidney he ate it. So iv learned if you don't want Sampson to look at you as if you've committed a crime putting in liver in his meals then check there liver free. He also won't eat treats with liver in :lol: .

I'm still working on his reactivity but is slowly getting better but still have a long way to go but I just absolutely love him he's a dream to groom as he loves being brushed and cuddle (really he loves the attention) he's great with mom and when she drops something he picks it up even though we have not taught him this :shock: :D .he's an absolute joy to live with and am falling in love more each day :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm half-watching Jurassic World. The dinosaur trainer's clicker-training timing is RUBBISH!! :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Chris Pratt's funny prefer him in guardians of the galaxy. Can't wait for Jurassic world 2! I'm watching Vera , Sampson's head swaying side to side watching with me :lol: got an hour left and already figured out who the killer is :D . My mom always says I should have been a detective instead of a dog groomer as I always get the killer right on crime shows :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't know how his timing is because he isn't using the clicker as a marker or anything :lol: Did not a single person on the set have a marker trained dog?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:17 pmI don't know how his timing is because he isn't using the clicker as a marker or anything :lol:
I interpreted it as 'You haven't eaten me at any point in the last 5 minutes :lol: I think he may also have used the clicker to get their attention at the start too - could be wrong though as I was concentrating more on the Killer Sudoku I was doing. OH kept commenting on how the velociraptors reminded him of Jasper :shock:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I can only agree with your OH on his assessment, Judy, sighthounds can be a bit raptory! There was this greyhound giving her owner the runaround in the park one day (I knew both dog and owner) because the greyhound liked this Collie on a lead. He was chasing her to get her back, it wasn't working, there was a busy road close by, and the Collie was getting scared. Well, I knew she liked squeaky balls... I had a squeaky ball...

You know how the raptors all turn instantly to face a noise in the long grass just before killing it? That terrifying look of drive and bloodlust? That was the greyhound vs me holding the squeaky ball. She stopped running around, turned her head to my direction, and I had a 100mph coursing greyhound sprinting towards me. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:lol: That's when you need to brace your knees and keep your elbows well in. Don't even think about trying to dodge to one side at the last moment :wink: Jasper, and in my experience other sighthounds, will reliably pass you with a hair's breadth of clearance... as long as they're not looking over their shoulders to check on the dog in pursuit... :shock: If the dog in pursuit is a Staffie or lab I'm far more worried about them turning my knees inside out.

Though come to think of it, when Jasper sees the Treat Fairy, he does tend to combine the 30mph approach with with the friendly nose in the groin which the Treat Fairy isn't overjoyed with :lol: :lol: :lol:

What sort of idiot walks past a large dog in a muzzle, says hello and goes straight in to pat him on the head & stroke his ears, even as I'm saying he can be shy with strangers? :evil: J didn't react and I dragged him swiftly by so the man was only in contact for a few seconds, so no doubt this man is still convinced that all dogs love him and I'm overprotective. I really should get over my English reserve and shout 'DON'T TOUCH MY **** DOG IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR FINGERS!!!' But you'd really think people would have the sense to ask. Maybe I should get a black muzzle and paint red bits on it....
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Maybe I should get a black muzzle and paint red bits on it....
Glue bits of red felt onto it....... :twisted:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Get him one of these;

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Perfect!!! :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Love it!!

I too have endless problems with people wanting to touch my dog. I say, "She doesn't like strangers touching her" so they gurn at her and slap their knees like I've said nothing :? Would they like a huge stranger to touch them?

She won't bite- she'll bolt. I am so not risking her running into trouble because some needy nitwit wants to wipe their hands all over her.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Some people think all dogs love them. Most of the time they are older men in my experience. Stuck in their ways. :lol:

Merlin has a great tactic for people who want to stroke him off lead. Off lead Merlin couldn't care less about people, even me, because the world is amazing. When people see him running about lots of people bend down, pat their knees, and give him cooey noises. Well, that's an interesting thing in the environment, so Merlin diverts course and sprints straight over to them looking like he absolutely loves people and can't wait to say hi. He runs and runs, as fast as he can, to this person who is getting happier and happier that a fluffy little dog really, really wants to say hi... Then at the last moment Merlin diverts course and runs right past them. The look of dissapointment they have on their faces! I swear Merlin has started to see it as a game.