Are GSD a gaiting breed?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Are GSD a gaiting breed?

Post by ZaraD »

Ok this is just out of curiosity my friend who's looking into getting a GSD was told by a working line owner that GSD are a gaiting breed here's what he told her

"GSD should not have a level backline, they are a gaiting breed & to have a level backline in stance means the dogs"run down hill" when gaiting because they have to extend their front legs with means their shoulders & forehead is lowered. Most dogs have withers higher than their backline so that when they move their backline is then level & the dog depends less energy"

Is this true as I thought GSD were supposed to have straight backs? Just curious as this surprised me.
Nettle

Re: Are GSD a gaiting breed?

Post by Nettle »

That is a case of someone justifying a major conformational fault by giving it a woo-woo background and a special name.

If you look at breeds that can run all day - Dalmatians, Huskies and their derivatives, working hounds, working collies, sighthounds, and gundogs of sporting not show lines, you will see they are shaped like normal dogs and move like normal dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:16 am That is a case of someone justifying a major conformational fault by giving it a woo-woo background and a special name.

If you look at breeds that can run all day - Dalmatians, Huskies and their derivatives, working hounds, working collies, sighthounds, and gundogs of sporting not show lines, you will see they are shaped like normal dogs and move like normal dogs.
Thanks Nettle I was really hoping you would see my post. Can I just ask Before I get in contact with her can you tell me if I'm right that working lines are the ones who tend to have better structure and health?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Tend to, but it's pretty marginal these days. I wouldn't recommend working lines for a first-time dog owner. Temperament is just as important as conformation, and work drive is a nightmare in a pet..
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 am Tend to, but it's pretty marginal these days. I wouldn't recommend working lines for a first-time dog owner. Temperament is just as important as conformation, and work drive is a nightmare in a pet..
Thanks for your advice Nettle :)