friend for bax

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: friend for bax

Post by Shalista »

ugh and milk bones go the way of the kibble. he wont touch them anymore. thats what iwas giving him when there were noises and iguess hes sick of them :? :(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

priming Baxes new nylabone. he can see it and get super excited about it but no touchy!!!! gonna keep that up for a couple of days and HOPEFULLY once i let him have it hell ACTUALLY chew it :roll:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Wow snuffle mats take alot of fabric! got a yard and its not even a third of the way done. also my poor scissors! i've decided to make one for my bro's ridgback to use to so i think im gonna invest in some proper shears and like 10 more yards of fabric :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

The rotary fabric cutters are a great little investment! They can get through about four layers of fleece at a time, and it's a lot less repetitive motion. I looooove mine. Got a little rotary cutter+cutting mat combo at a craft store for about $15 on sale. Worth it for me. Scissors usually end up really hurting my thumb after a while.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Are there charity shops nearby where you could find fabric/old clothes?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

not sure if genius or bad idea. just put up a baby gate over the stairs so he cant go charging down the mto bark at the door every time she makes a sound.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm going with genius. When I blocked part of the garden so Jasper couldn't go down the end and bark at monsters in the middle of the night but could only get to a small 'toileting area', within two nights he stopped asking to go out in the night and slept through instead.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Baby gates are god's gift to dog owners. We got ours to stop Merlin charging at the front door. Whilst it has stopped him physically trying to run outside, it has also forced him to control himself and be patient when guests arrive so he's no longer a crazy lunatic, just a lunatic!

Definately genius idea. Playpens, baby gates, baby blinds, child locks, all things that were really created for dog owners, I swear!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i feel like bax is getting worse instead of better. he now runs laps around the house whining and barking continuously even when theres no sound, even when my neighbor is out of the house entirly. should i be hopeful for an extinction burst or is this just bax being bax?
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

extinction won't happen if the behavior is still being triggered and/or still serving a function for Bax.

careful assuming there is no sound. dog's hearing is FAR more sensitive than ours. While we all know this, we also regularly forget because we have no perspective for their level of hearing sensitivity.

if sound is an issue for Bax, what is your plan for changing the association to the sound? are you training an alternate behavior? Bax hears sound and rather than doing X, does Y and Y makes something yummy/fun happen.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yes. if he hears a sound hes supposed ot come runnign to me, go into a down, and get a treat. hes excellent at doing it on cue but hasnt yet mastered it for when he hears the sound. (ie he hears the sound, starts freaking out, will perform the behavior if i call him but wont do it on his own yet) but he just decided he didn't like milk bones OR chicken OR hot dog OR liverwurst so short of me cracking open a can of sardiens i got nothing left.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Maybe it's time to get some face-to-face help in your home, from a reward-based dog trainer and/or behaviourist. With your help, they can assess the whole situation with an independent set of eyes, and hopefully make an effective new plan to follow. Cheers and best wishes. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

not giving up yet! discovered yesterday that he likes potatoes. yup, not liverwurst or hot dog or chicken. potatoes. he will come running and go into a down for a 4 day old french fry or some of the left over fried potatoes off my plate. so im gonna fry up soem diced potatoes with a touch of salt and pepper and keep a bowl on my desk and hope for the best.

I haven't ruled it out @mansbestfriend. i think im going to try meds first and see how that goes though. my area isn't the best so im doubtful id be able to easily find a positive trainer out here but ive heard really good things about this vet.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

oh my god im gonna cry!! victory for the potatoes! he barked once and hten whirled and came back to my side ofr his piece of potatoe!!!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

POTATO PROGRESS! he now runs, barks once or twice, and then runs to me for a treat. rinse/repeat. I'm fast running out of potato but its progress!

.... although im now worried hat im enforcing him barking at every noise. he gets a teat if he barks soooooo..... :?