Bax adjusting

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Bax adjusting

Post by Shalista »

Bax update! He survived the trip down with minimal stress. I was very proud of him. First day of work I locked him in the kitchen thinking nothing for him to pee on. Came home and he's clearly very stressed. Whining and growling at every sound. Pacing. Unable to settle. I'm exhausted so I got bed at 4. He wakes me up repeatedly with his growling and occasional barking. Next day he's still accident free in the house so I give him free roam. Whoooo boy that was a mistake. I get a noise complaint from a neighbor. I'm told I'm still on settling in period with Bax but YIKES. Apparently he barked continuously all day since I left. So that day I took him on a nice long stop and sniff around the block twice. Next morning I confined him to our bedroom and cranked my white noise machine. As a last ditch effort I gave him every high value toy he owned including the ones I never let him play with by himself cause he'll instantly shred them. Came home today and I got shocked and surprised barks when I opened the bedroom door! Either he couldn't hear me over the white noise machine or he was sleeping and I'll take either. It was raining so no super long walks but I bought him dinner toys and we had a very nice play session. I was pleasantly surprised to see his new found love of toys and we even got some tug in. So I guess that's the strategy for the foreseeable future. Lots of walks, lots of play time, and confined with a white noise machine during the day.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Re: Bax adjusting

Post by Shalista »

730 and he's snoozing peacefully. I'll take it 🤗
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Shalista,

Good for you & Bax! Might want some different toys on hand to give him variety to keep him from being bored.

Love the idea of using white noise! We can’t use TV since Sandy goes bezerk with other animals. But the white noise sounds great (no pun intended).

Good luck with your new place & job!
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Do you know if he'd barked earlier in the day when you played the white noise? Have you ever tried a DAP diffuser?

It's very important to get your neighbours onside right now. I'm sure you apologised, but I'd ask them if they can tell you if there's any further barking - which will help you know how he's adjusting, and let them know that you are concerned about it. Flowers/chocolates by way of apology could help if he does it again.

Also think about dog sitters/dog walkers. You never know, you might even find a neighbour who's happy to fulfil the role :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

Great idea to get the neighbors on board. It’s also good feedback for Shalista as to how Bax really is adjusting since she isn’t there. And, as you said it lets the neighbors know that Shalista is being a good dog owner as well as good neighbor.

Shalista,
I was wondering how Bax does meeting new people? Maybe if he is good, it might help to have Bax meet some of the neighbors. That way they can see for themselves how Bax is doing, and it might make it less scary for Bax when you walk through the neighborhood on your walks. Remember that he’s in a new environment and some of his barking may be fear of what is going on. :shock:

Another point is that if Bax was used to a single family house, and he’s now in an apartment, there are noises he’s not used to. I remember when my sister moved to Hawaii, and they lived on the ground floor of their condo building, her dog (a Welsh Corgi) who was used to a single family home and had problems with hearing noises, especially footsteps, above his head from the upstairs neighbor. :shock: She said it took him a while to adjust.

And of course, Judy has some great suggestions. :D
Diane
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Good news! Neighbor says she hasn't heard a peep since I started the white noise.

Meeting people is a no go atm. My normal me. Social is gone and right now I have a rage monster. He snarled lunges and barks at everyone, people or dog. We're practicing turn and walk away religiously until he calms down a bit and thankfully the foot traffic isn't crazy around here.

He also is def still growling and occasionally barking at noises outside at night even with the noise machine and I constantly feel like I'm running triage for his feelings at 2 am. I'm started keeping a pile of treats on the headboard and he gets a treat if he gets upset. Though I fear that's just setting him up to be constantly upset for treats?

The best news is that true to what you guys told me all his potting issues magically disappeared when we moved out of that house. He hasn't so much as cocked a leg against a couch leg here and I'm pleased as punch.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Shalista,

Sandy doesn’t take to some people (never know who he will like & who not). We tried to introduce him to our granddaughters (ages 8 & 6 years old). But it was in wrong place & time with strangers staring at the park. So, all they heard was barking & ran off.

So, I also do a lot of turn & run in opposite direction with a “Let’s Go” command. It’s help in the lodging when other dogs are also outside or in the hall. One place we stayed for 3 weeks, we had to carry him outside since too many people in hallway. Add to the fact that he’s protective of me, I can’t have people hold doors open as he barks & tries to scare them down.

So, I understand. Just take it easy. You have a lot of stress right now, & Bax might be sensing that. Sandy knows when we are stressed & reacts to it.

Good news about his calming during the day & no accidents. YEAH!

Diane
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I'm glad to hear things are going well considering you are both in a new environment and adjusting.

I imagine he will get used to the noises over time.

My Sirius tends to know all of the neighbors' cars and when one neighbor moves out and another one comes in with different cars, it throws her off for a while until she gets used to it.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

MPbandmom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pmMy Sirius tends to know all of the neighbors' cars and when one neighbor moves out and another one comes in with different cars, it throws her off for a while until she gets used to it.
That is interesting. Sandy has also picked up on vehicles in our neighborhood, especially FedEx & UPS. Even if not coming to our house he alerts us as if he were expecting a package (sometimes it is for him), but he gets overexcited. :lol: :lol:

He won’t stop barking & jumping up & down until we open the door so he sees there is nothing left at our door. :roll:

Diane
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

went down to visit the neighbor with a bribe *cough* gift of fresh oatmeal raisin cookies.

shes amazing! we sat and chatted for ages. apparently he only barked the one day (before i turned the white noise machine on) and she said she really doesn't mind occasional barks ("dogs will be dogs" "oh hes a small one they all bark")

So happy right now :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Shalista,

Seems like Bax helped you make friends with your neighbor. Good for you (& Bax). :D :D :D
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

progress! he still growls at every little sound but he no longer goes into a barking fit (even with the sound machine off). he doesnt pace anymore, hes perched (albeit very stiff and alertly) on the futon. best of all hes letting me sleep most of the night without interruption. we're getting their guys!

the one downside is he had his first accident in here but i think he was legit sick and COULDNT hold it. it was a watery mess all over the carpet in several spots. had fun cleaning THAT up at 430 am. :roll:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Shalista,

The diarrhea could be result of stress.
Two years ago, I went to Israelto see my son & grandchildren. Sandy stayed at our Maine house with OH. Although Sandy did well, the day I flew back, Sandy started having diarrhea.

We took him to the vet who told us that the stress increased the bacteria in his intestines causing the loose stools. He suggested rice water, but Sandy doesn’t like it, so canned or boiled & mashed pumpkin or sweet potato is an alternative. Sandy prefers the pumpkin, so it’s become part of his feeding (he even licks the spoon :wink:

So, considering all the new challenges Bax is facing including the fluffball off leash, I’m not surprised at the loose stools as his body’s reaction to the stress.

Just help him find something calming. Maybe the DAP diffuser might help.

All in all, I would say that Bax is adjusting well, it always takes time & it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

Diane
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Found a stress reaction I hope is here to stay! He now LOVES toys. If I’m sitting on the floor with him he’ll play by himself for hours. He doesn’t want ME to play with him. He just wants my attention while HE plays. And I’m happy to give it to him. After four years it’s nice to see him so bouncy and happy. He’s always been such a srrs terrier grrr. So this is a nice change. I hope stays even once the stress goes down and he doesn’t feel compelled to kill the small fluffy.