What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

Bax ate almost all of a cornish game hen and then brought the last of its butt to my bed. i ended up calling him out of the room for a walk and hollering for my mom to get the butt out of my bed before i brought him back in....sigh... bax... this is why your mama sometimes wants to spank you.... :roll: :wink:

In other news he has an adorably swollen tummy and is very content right now. i love spoiling my boy <3
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Erica wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 pm [I drove up on the Friday before (not a fan of getting up at 3:30am to drive five hours to an eight hour workshop ;) ) and had the bad luck of hitting Richmond around 4:30 when people were starting to get out of work, I think. Next time I am leaving in the morning -- either to take the scenic route and visit a friend a little further west, skipping much of 95, or try to actually beat the end-of-the-work-week traffic on 95.
4:30 would definitely not be the time to reach Richmond. :lol: I agree with the getting up at 3:30. To be honest, I thought leaving my friend's house at 6:15 was a bit early considering it meant I had to leave my house about 5:30 am. :lol:
JudyN wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 pm [There's no room to move off this particular path, unless you stand in a narrow verge with long vegetation (and probably dog poo) - the only way to let a bike past is to stand right to one side... and get your dog also to stand to the side, in front or behind you & not beside you, pointing in the direction of the path. Not easy to negotiate rapidly when you're in the middle of picking up a dog poo, but the vast majority of cyclists happily slow down and wait for you. In fact they'd do that regardless, because any dog might suddenly move back across the path.

No room to move off of the path would definitely mean the bicyclists would need to be more considerate of others on the trail.

It has been a bit crazy hot here the past couple of days. Since I have been on Staycation, I have been able to get the dogs out for nice extended walks in the morning when it was cooler.

Yesterday Sirius was enthusiastically greeted by an off leash dog whose owner apologized and explained with a laugh that he didn't know where his leash was. I was very proud of myself for responding that it wasn't funny. This is a dog reactive dog and we walk her on leash in a safe area so that that doesn't happen. Owner apologized again with a bit more sincerity. The house where owner came out from has had a Coming Soon for sale sign on it for a while, so the interior of the house could be quite disorganized if they are packing, but a leash doesn't seem like something one would lose so easily if one walked one's dog on one on a regular basis.

Today Sky had an encounter with a GSD. We had encountered a friend of mine while we were out walking and stopped to chat. Friend has a dog and friend's neighbor has a GSD. Neither dog was visible as we started our chat. Friend's dog showed up first to tell Sky off for being close to his property, but stayed inside his yard in spite of the open fence. Neighbor's GSD ran up shortly thereafter and started barking a bit at Sky, at which point Sky started to growl, so I told friend I needed to get Sky moving along.

Neighbor's GSD ran along inside of the fence barking while Friend called to him to come to her. Next thing I knew GSD was in the neighbors yard running along that fence still barking. Then GSD easily sailed across the fence and headed towards Sky. Friend was still calling GSD, so GSD apparently decided he didn't want to get that close to Sky and ran to friend's house, whereupon she let him into her yard. Whereupon he promptly repeated the out of the friends yard, into his own yard over the fence, back to my friend's house to be let into the gate routine a couple of times. By this time his owner was also calling to him at which point he just got the zoomies in his own yard and was running around his house.

Sky and I continued walking away this whole time. Poor Sky kept looking over her back every few feet until we turned the corner onto the next street which was a fair length of time.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

MPbandmom wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:01 am...a leash doesn't seem like something one would lose so easily if one walked one's dog on one on a regular basis.
I admit this is probably not the usual way of things, but we have no fewer than five leashes by the door at any point in time. A couple are easily converted to slip leads for emergencies. That is such a foreign concept to me, not being able to find a leash!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've lost a couple of leashes - both when Jasper was off lead and I put the leash down while answering a call of nature in a secluded overgrown area, away from the paths, and then forgot to pick it up again :oops:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There's a new cat on the block... yesterday afternoon, as Jasper was flat out in the study, I found the cat in the conservatory (which adjoins he study through open French doors). Yesterday evening, after Jasper had headed upstairs to bed, I found the cat in the study.

I love being able to have the doors into the garden open at this time of year but I fear I may have to close them more often to stop something really unpleasant and potentially messy from happening :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good plan.

Sister had a visiting cat that emptied itself lavishly all over her conservatory. She would have loved to have borrowed Jas.....
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

"Your just as good as any women".... :shock: :lol: was told that by a student in class today.

It is what I love about working with dogs, you just never know what the day will bring. What successes you will have. How you can improve the life of another etc.

In this case it was the second class of six for this handler and dog. The dog, a boxer who had be involved in dog shows and is afraid of men. Well, with the application of classical conditioning, patience, not putting pressure on the dog, rewarding her for approaching etc....today she climbed in my lap and gave me a tongue bath ....partly in trying to figure out how to get treats flowing again as I was withholding them until she offered a sit, and partly because she was feeling comfortable with me....after the tongue bath, her handler turns to me as says "your now just as good as any women".... meaning....her dog wasn't afraid of me just like she isn't afraid of being around, touched, approached etc by women.

It just came out funny and I am still smiling about it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 pm "Your just as good as any women"....
The ultimate accolade for any man :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

SUCH a compliment, Jacksdad! :lol: Covered in boxer spit as well -

Erica

Post by Erica »

Saw a lovely lovely retired racing greyhound earlier this week who got too happy when meeting tall men with deep voices. She was such a sweetheart and really did love hearing those deep voiced guys! :lol: Normally she has fantastic leash manners, but she would pull her owner across a street to find her guy friends. It was fun working on such a strong opposite of the normal tall-deep-voiced-man problem.

Nice job convincing the boxer that you're one of the good ones, Jacksdad :)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Today being a holiday in the USA, I took the dogs out for a morning walk. Sirius had a very nice walk but chose to take the short way home after looing around the park. I think she thought it was too hot. She may also have been upset by an off leash dog at the park. He was her size and looked quite a bit like her with black and white coloration in place of her copperish tan. He also appeared to be very nervous.

There was a young man that seemed to be associated with the dog, but who was making no attempts to call his dog back. He and I ended up having a rather pleasant conversation once I had a better picture of what was going on. (I hope he feels the same way.) At first I asked if the dog was his, he acknowledged that he was. I then pointed out that his dog was as nervous as mine and it would not be good for them to get together. He had approached and they had somewhat greeted which is how I figured out he was a timid fellow, more inclined to avoidance than aggression. I asked if the young man was aware that dogs were required to be on leash, he was aware, the dog had gotten away and he was attempting to catch him. (not readily obvious to the casual observer.) I asked the young man if he needed any yummy treats to try and lure the dog back to him. He replied that he was carrying hot dog. Eventually he was able to corral the dog in the dog park, fed him some hot dog and put his collar back on. He then seemed to be trying to lead the dog home by the collar. He and the dog were of disproportionate heights and he was all bent over holding the collar. Which came off again, but he managed to get it back on right away and appeared to tighten it up a bit. I offered the use of the extra leash that I carry around. It is a small slip lead from a vet's office. A spare leash is one of the required Dog Scout items to take along while walking one's dog. He declined and then I saw him holding what appeared to be a retractable leash. When he subsequently walked on his way, he was standing more erect with the dog right by his side.

The dogs don't know it yet, but I purchased an inflatable kayak this week to take at least Sky kayaking this summer. I'm not certain I could manage carrying a kayak, paddles, and keep track of Sirius and her interactions with her environment at the same time. Plus, she doesn't spend as much time outside as Sky does, so is less acclimated to the warmer weather.

I'm pretty excited.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I have seen a lot of BS around dominance training but "you have to be the alpha before your dog can be housetrained" is a new one to me :shock: "Make your 8 week old puppy sit before letting them out to pee so they know you're the boss" Okay enjoy cleaning up those accidents because you spent time farting around instead of just getting your dog out to potty!

The inflatable kayak sounds fun, MP! Probably a lot more portable than the standard version. I may rent a kayak this summer and spend a couple hours on the lake if I have the time :) It's so peaceful and relaxing!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am"Make your 8 week old puppy sit before letting them out to pee so they know you're the boss"
:lol: and :roll: The sad thing is, every time that pup has an 'accident', the owner will probably assume it's because the little mite thinks it's the alpha.

I was so pleased with Jasper this morning. I met a friend walking her 1 year old entire male German wire-haired pointer - not a breed J likes even when older and neutered. I've not seen her much since she got this dog and last time we were on opposite sides of a gate and J was on lead as we'd just left the woods - even though they were several feet apart, J was growling quite unpleasantly. This morning when we met, the GWP wandered behind some bushes, J followed him... :shock: I was waiting to hear 'GGGGRRRRRI'MTHEBOSSANDIDON'TLIKE YOU'... but a moment later they reappeared, absolutely fins with each other :D Maybe because J could actually get close, off lead, and they could interact properly, they were able to sort themselves out with the bare minimum of body language.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper and I went to the polling station to vote this morning. Well I voted, he was just there in an advisory role :wink:

There's 'cute' photos all over the media of dogs tied up outside polling stations, despite the fact that dogs are allowed inside on lead. Every time I see one I want to borrow a toddler, tie it up outside a polling station, take a photo and post it on the internet, then sit back and wait for the response. Because if you wouldn't leave a toddler tied up outside, why would you leave a dog tied up outside?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great idea, JudyN! :lol:

I tried to vote at the end of a dog-walk a few years ago, and they wouldn't let my dogs in, so I went home, dropped them off and came back. They let small children in though, and not even on leads.