RIP My Beloved Annie 6/6/03--3/16/17

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

RIP My Beloved Annie 6/6/03--3/16/17

Post by Fundog »

For those of you who have been here a long time, and are familiar with my dogs, Annie and Dottie-- we had Annie put to sleep yesterday. I would like to say it was a peaceful passing, but it was not. :( Since we are 50 miles from the nearest veterinarian, and across state lines besides, he would/could not come to our town/house to help us (yes, I asked). So Annie had to endure an uncomfortable and unsettling car ride, during which she was restless, would not lay still, and evacuated her bowels. Then we got to the clinic, and had to take her inside and put her on the metal table-- something else I did not want to subject her to. Then... and it was over by the time I realized (pay attention, this might be important to have in mind when any of you has to go through this), but the vet technician/receptionist held Annie still while the vet did his work. Mr. F and I stood where she could see us the whole time, and talked to her, but I saw fear and pleading in her eyes as she looked at me, and she struggled a little as the medicine went in. After she was buried, and I walked away from the grave, I realized she wanted *ME* to hold her as she went to sleep, not that other lady, as nice as she was. And it took awhile for her heart to finally stop beating, even after she was unconscious. So we had to wait. They bundled her up and put her in the car for us. We took her out to our brother in law's farm, where he raises cattle. He used a backhoe to dig a grave, and we buried her under a very large apple tree, where several other dogs from that family are also buried.

So it is just Dottie now. Dogs don't grieve the way humans do, and I think Dottie knew this day was coming. Plus, Mr. F talked to her, and I think Annie must have talked to her too. Anyway, Dottie is handling it just fine. She will be the only dog for the rest of her life, and will get to soak up all that undivided attention that Annie had before Dottie came to us.

I miss her so much! My heart is broken, and I am sobbing as I type this. :cry:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Re: RIP My Beloved Annie 6/6/03--3/16/17

Post by JudyN »

I'm so sorry, Fundog :( The pooter screen's gone a bit blurry here too.

I'm also sorry that she didn't have the passing you wished her to have. But she was probably expecting the whole time to be getting off that table and back to you, and have a delicious treat - she didn't have the understanding of the situation that you did, so it would have affected you more than it did her. Focus on the many wonderful years she did have, because that's the important thing.

((((((((Hugs))))))))
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I just started crying to. *hugs* Give Dottie a treat for me. Even if she's not showing it she must be heartbroken to. :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I'm sorry to read this and really sorry it didn't go the way you wanted. I think its something a lot of us put off, trying to make sure arrangements are as we want them ahead of time and of course sometimes it's just not possible!

Thinking of you all xx
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers for comfort and healing.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Thank you all. We're having a rough time. We're going to grill some burgers because Annie always loved it when we grilled, and because I never did get to have that 13th birthday party for her last year, like I wanted to. I've been remembering all the fun adventures we had together (and those of you who've been here awhile know we've had our fair share of fun adventures!), and looking through all her photos. I guess, while mourning her death, we can still celebrate her life. She brought me so much joy!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Best wishes.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I was so sorry to read this news. I know that was a really hard decision and not being able to have things as you would have liked them must have made it even harder.

I know Annie was so special to you and you worked very hard to giver her the best and most comfortable life possible.

)))))))))))))))))))))))Hugs((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Very sad news... thinking about you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great sympathy and empathy and as many hugs as you need over time.

Don't dwell on the less-than-perfect last few moments, and how lovely of you to think of others even in your grief, so that we have a better idea of what might happen. But what IS important is the love and care you gave her all your time with her, especially the CARE because so many people love without caring. It's the getting up early, taking for walks when we'd rather just collapse in a chair, sourcing the best food when we can barely manage to afford it for ourselves, the missing social engagements because it means leaving our dog alone too long, all those choices where you put your dog's needs ahead of your own - that's what we remember, that's what Annie, far away running across a sunlit trail, remembers.

This is a very hard time, and most of us have been there. We can't make you feel different but we are here for you however you would find us most comforting. Annie came to teach you, and now she has done her work, Dottie will pick up the baton and continue. As you say, they knew all about this.

How brave and how right to keep Dottie as an 'only dog' from now. The future is the future, but she is the present.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

You gave her such a good life -- I'm sure she was happy for all that you did for her.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

fun dog, I am soooo sorry.

my sympathies to you and your family.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog,

I'm so sorry to read this. You did the best you could under trying circumstances. Know that you gave Annie all the love & care throughout her life. And what a beautiful place for her last resting place.

Yes, remember the great memories! And give Dottie a treat from Sandy.
(((((((HUGS)))))))

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
gwd

Post by gwd »

i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know she was well loved.