Receiving a Long Term Guest And His Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Receiving a Long Term Guest And His Dog

Post by Fundog »

Hi Everyone,

First the low-down: Our son has an online friend with some dire circumstances, and needing help immediately. To make a long story short, friend's father has terminal brain cancer, has lost his mind, and is shoving all family out of his life, and his house. In other words, Son's Friend is now homeless. Son asked us if we could help his friend, seeing as we have a spare room while Second Son is away at University. Remembering a time when friends took us in and helped us when we needed it, we decided it was time to "pay it forward," and said yes. Friend will be here in a week-- he is driving approximately 2,000 miles across the country. He had a decent job, which he is leaving to start over. He could probably get a job here, quite easily, as there are full time openings available. Eventually he will be able to get his own place, maybe together with Son.

And as you correctly surmised from the title of this post, Friend is bringing his dog, an eight year old female golden retriever. For those of you who have been on this forum for several years, you know I am in for some challenges. Dottie is not good with other dogs, and Annie is elderly and nearing the end of her life. Nevermind the fact our lease only allows us to have two dogs-- hopefully since the third dog is only temporary, this won't be too much of a problem.

My plan so far:

1) We've ordered two baby gates, which will be here before Friend and Dog arrive. We will put one baby gate in the hallway, just off the boys' bathroom and bedrooms. This will be Friend Dog's safety space, at least until Dottie calms down. The second baby gate will be for our bedroom doorway, (a good 20 feet away from the hall gate) and our room will be Dottie's safe place. When we are home, and able to supervise, the dogs will be allowed to see each other from their respective safe places. When we are not home, doors will be closed, to prevent coming home to see destroyed baby gates and a dead dog, possibly three.

2) When Friend and Dog arrive, before coming into the house, Friend will take FD out into the backyard to smell around and leave scent. Likewise, Annie and Dottie will get their turn in the yard to smell and leave scent.

3) Then I think a walk would be in order, from opposite sides of the street.... this may be difficult, even impossible, depending on the amount of ice on the ground. Right now there is a lot of ice. :/

4) When we are ready to bring FD inside, I'm thinking Dottie should stay in the bedroom, with the door shut. What do you think?

5) Then what? Now I'm stuck. Should we put FD into her Person's room with the door shut and let Dottie out for a bit? Should we put up the baby gates right away and let them see (possibly shout at) each other?

6) I will definitely implement my old standby method of "treats for everyone" (the method I used to help Dottie accept Annie when we first brought Dottie home) several times a day for as long as it takes. I am extremely hesitant to let Dottie get close enough to actually smell or greet FD. Perhaps it may never happen.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Receiving a Long Term Guest And His Dog

Post by Nettle »

You've got most bases covered, and also you are realistic enough to know that it WILL be stressful for all, that house rules MUST be adhered to - no exceptions or just-this-onces - and that the dogs are highly unlikely to relax beyond a state of armed truce. I have put that in case anyone else is reading and having an attack of the pink fluffies! :lol:

Can you swap items - towels, T shirts - that smell of each dog over to the other home, so that they each get used to smelling each other before they actually have to live under the same roof?

I would strongly recommend the going for a walk together first, then the coming home together. Ice permitting of course.

I suggest that the new regime starts as soon as the baby gates arrive, so that it is established before New Dog comes to stay.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Re: Receiving a Long Term Guest And His Dog

Post by Fundog »

"Pink Fluffies" :lol:

Yes, that does tend to happen here, doesn't it? :lol: Thank you Nettle. I don't think there is time for my son's friend to send anything through the post, and unfortunately, I did not remember that idea until yesterday. :(

As far as my questions four and five, I think that yes, when it is time to actually bring the new dog into the house, I will have Dottie sequestered, let New Dog sniff around and get acquainted with Annie, then when New Dog is settled into her owner's room, I will let Dottie out to have a sniff, and a listen.

Then treats time! I do have some wild elk meat in the freezer that I can dry in the oven for jerkey treats. Seriously high value, sure to make a good impression. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.