Puppy Peeing Indoors

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emily0115

Puppy Peeing Indoors

Post by Emily0115 »

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT, whenever I leave him at home he pees in the house: on the carpet, on the bed, on flowers..
My husband and I were thinking about taking him to 'doggy school', but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest 'doggy school' is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!
JudyN

Re: Puppy Peeing Indoors

Post by JudyN »

'Doggy school' would be no use at all - it can't teach him not to pee in his house when he's alone.

Has he always done this, or is it a recent development?

How long is he being left for? How old is he now? Is he always clean & dry when you're there, and does he ask to go out? And does he seem to need to go out quite frequently?

What have you been cleaning up the pee with? Some cleaners, or any lingering smell of pee (which he may be able to detet even if you can't) will encourage him to go in the same place.

He may have separation anxiety - does he seem relaxed when you get ready to leave or overexcited when you return? It would be useful to set up an audio/video recording device (often PCs can make an audio recording) so you can tell if he's agitated when you're out.

Could you also give a run-down of his daily routine, including walks (length of time, on or off lead), play, training, etc., and also mealtimes, inclding what you feed him?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Rippers

Post by Rippers »

I am also interested in this as we have the same issue. When puppy (8 months) is in her crate she won't wet, but if she has any space outside of it at all she will drop and wee (and sometimes poop) with no obvious signs.
I hate her being. Her crate all the time but we have kids and stepping out of our rooms into pee and poop is not something that I can cope with on a regular basis.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Rippers, you'd be best starting a new thread for your dog as the issues may be different. If you give all the information I asked in the post above, this will help us to help you. Also, have a read of the thread on toilet training here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125 It may give you the answers you need.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Rippers

Post by Rippers »

Thank you, I'm new to the forum so trying to figure it all out! Will do