What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by MPbandmom »

Yay Jack and Jacksdad!

I so love it when joggers know how to behave when around a strange dog. :D As I was heading out of the park with Sirius today, a jogger was heading in. There are good sight lines so still plenty of distance between us and time and space for me to move off of the sidewalk. I moved off to the side as I deemed appropriate. Sirius looked at jogger and then looked at me for treats. :D Jogger slowed to a walk upon entering the park. I tossed a treat to Sirius who missed it and then started searching in the ground for it. Jogger sees that dog is occupied and resumes jogging. She was essentially just barely past us when she resumed, so I don't think she resumed jogging based on being beyond the dog, but rather because the dog was occupied.

Next fun thing. There was a seminar by a local dog training cooperative I guess it would be called. They offer free seminars and speakers are trainers located all around the Metro DC area and beyond or what is referred to as the xburbs to out in the country. :lol:

This past weekend, I drove 22 miles to hear a presentation from a new Vet Behaviorist in the area. Only to find out her practice is a mile from my house and housed with the local emergency vet practice. She has only been here since September. I was very impressed with the presentation of the process that is gone through for an evaluation. I spoke with her briefly afterwards in reference to Sirius stating that she was one who believed the best defense was a good offense, and that thanks to the Positively Victoria Stillwell forum, we felt we had the behavior issues pretty well under control. Then I said, but there are the fireworks, and around here they can go off any day of the year, and she finished my thought and said and any time of the day. I told her how Sirius had gone through a phase in late July early August of Yay lets go for a walk. Only to step outside of the door and say, "no wait, it is scary out here, I want to go back into the house."

The vet behaviorist stated that a daily low dosage of medication would be the way to treat the problem. This could probably be done by a regular vet, but the tests they run as part of the evaluation are tests that I would like to have run on Sirius anyway due to her age. They do blood counts, Thyroid check and urinalysis. I also feel that I would be more comfortable with having a behaviorist prescribing medication considering the other issues we had with Sirius and various local vets. While I like our mobile vet, this is outside of her scope of practice. I also like the emergency vets, but again, this kind of thing is outside of their scope of practice.

I didn't state this at the time, but there is also the matter that I get upset with people setting off fireworks and my husband gets upset with the dog for being upset about the fireworks, thunderstorms, whatever. So while I believe I have come to a point where I have accepted making accommodations for her, I don't think OH has yet. I think going through the evaluation process together will allow him to voice his point of view on things, as I would surely give a much rosier picture. :)

I need to get pricing and it may not happen before the end of the year this year, but I have hopes for at least early next year.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

miss hanging out with you all...but my time is so limited these days....

but having fun and working with some great dogs.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Good to see you Jacksdad - we've missed you!

I've been thinking about Jasper's 'greeting' behaviour with people he really likes - particularly the friend (L) I walk with once a week or so (I also ought to think about the man who gets a muzzle in the groin every time, but he's learning to take defensive action now :wink: ). When I wait in the layby to meet L (she's usually late) he knows she's going to come and will get really worked up, often deciding that another person must be her and howling if I don't let him go up to them. He watches cars coming down the road and when one comes into the layby he notches up a gear. If he realises it is her he goes mental, desperate to get to her.

When they do greet (me holding him back on the lead) he wants to - well, I'm not quite sure - headbutt, get as much contact between his head and her as possible, maybe turning so his side's shoving into her. But when she puts a hand out to make a fuss of him he backs off and barks at her. I have reminded her that he doesn't like 'over the head' and prefers contact round the neck & chest, though I'm not sure it's registered yet.

Yet the real problem seems to be that although he wants to make contact with her, he doesn't want her to make contact with him, and it's similar with his other friends. So she can turn her back & fold her arms when he's OTT, but she can't then reward calm behaviour by petting him. She does tend to shriek a bit when he makes contact as she hasn't realised that if she stands firm he won't knock her over, which doesn't help, but is maybe understandable :lol:

He can be downright confusing with strangers - he'll make really friendly overtures, and often will happily let them pet him round the face & neck, but, very occasionally, will change his mind and snark at them. It may stem from when the man with the vulnerable groin tried to helpfully grab his collar when I wanted to put him on lead. But boy I can feel silly telling people 'No he's not friendly with strangers' when he's behaving as if they're his best friend ever and sticking his head between their legs :roll:

I think I need to video him greeting L - maybe I'll be able to spot exactly what he wants to do, and exactly what she was doing when he backed off.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My dogs don't have Jasper's extreme issues, but they still do NOT like people touching them unless they 'ask'. Trouble is, I seem to be the only one who knows when they are asking. They want to investigate the person, maybe even lean against the person (the ultimate lurcher accolade apart from the headbutt in the groin) but this does not give the human permission to wipe their hands on them.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:the ultimate lurcher accolade apart from the headbutt in the groin
I shall tell my friend that he should feel honoured :lol:

It just seems a bit one-sided - 'I can rub myself all over you, but you can't put your hands on me.' But then his 'rubbing all over' is coming from overexcitement... I can tell now I'm going to be overthinking this...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

While you are overthinking :lol: consider how many people think they can rub their hands all over a dog, pat it, pick it up and hug it etc. when the dog is getting no pleasure from it at all......

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yup - even when the dog has backed off a good foot they still can't see it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The fireworks season started in earnest last night :evil: Jasper was up on our bed when the fireworks started and I thought about going up to see if he was OK but decided there wasn't much I could do anyway - he doesn't appreciate being petted when he's on our bed. But soon he came downstairs, looking a bit stressed, and went over to OH. OH thought Jasper wanted to go on his sofa so stood up and came over to my sofa, but then Jasper came over to me and we realised he just wanted a bit of fuss and reassurance. After a bit of loving, he went back to OH's sofa and settled down on that and was then fine, and OH joined me on my sofa.

OH felt rotten as he had realised Jasper had come over to him for a bit of fuss and he had just walked away...

But I'm so glad J has a coping strategy that works for him :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fireworks started here too :( I am trialling a different calming mix, and after I have completed the course of that, I have another to try. Too early to say if it works yet.

Trouble is that you have to be clairvoyant and know a week in advance when there are going to be fireworks. And If I were clairvoyant, I'd do the lottery once and then purchase a property with so much land that fireworks would no longer be an issue :lol:

Staying up late every night in case there are fireworks is not doing me any good. Yawn.

MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sirius offers her sympathies to those dealing with fireworks.

I took Sky to a scavenger hunt yesterday hosted by the local dog park. I had decided ahead of time that if there were a bunch of dogs there that were barking at Sky, we would pass on the hunt. I had also rehearsed a bit of a speech about if your dog is barking at my dog, my dog is too close to your dog for comfort. In the end, I pretty well blew all of that preparation.

When we arrived, they were just setting up, even though it was the time listed as the start time. I was standing around with Sky a ways away and on one side of a table with a long tablecloth and the workers and their dogs were on the other side. Sky can get into stare downs with other dogs and give off a bit of attitude, but was standing calmly not paying any attention to the other dogs. Until one of them charged at her. :evil:

We moved off and I took Sky for a walk around the park. I had a poo bag to dispose of anyway, Sky doesn't wait well, and the event didn't seem to be getting under way any time soon.

When we came back around, the problem dogs had been placed into the dog park with no one monitoring them as set up was continuing. Once again, a couple of the dogs started acting in an aggressive manner towards Sky, so once again, we headed off. This time I tried to duck down a hill to get her out of sight a bit more quickly. I also had another poo bag to dispose of. We took a shorter loop around the park.

The next time when we returned all was set and we could do the hunt. While I was listening to the rules another owner and dog showed up to participate. A black labish dog. Sky doesn't like black labish dogs and started a low growl at the other dog. I moved Sky back, but was limited due to the fact that they had the table on the sidewalk at the end of two parking spaces and then had vehicles parked on either side of those two parking spaces. Fortunately other owner located her payment quickly and moved on with her dog to start the hunt.

I finally found my money and paid and headed out onto the trail behind the other owner. Whose dog stopped to take a break, so I stopped Sky a distance away and we waited. Owner seemed flustered. I kept waiting for her to take out a bag and clean up, but she did not. Then she moved to the opposite side of the trail. I thought perhaps to allow us to pass while she rooted for a bag. But no, it turned out there was a clue over there. I commented to Sky about was she not going to clean up after her dog and perhaps she heard me because she then asked if I had a bag. I did, so she started towards us. Knowing Sky had already stated that she didn't like the other dog being close to her. I told the other owner I would put the bag down on the ground and then walk off so she could get it. That worked beautifully and Sky didn't have any more grumbles at the other dog.

We finished the hunt and went to cash in. One of the owners of one of the dogs who had been barking in a non welcoming manner at Sky told me not to worry about those dogs, they were just all noise. I found myself flabbergasted rather then giving my well rehearsed speech that Sky doesn't like to be barked at and the fact that your dog is barking at mine indicates they are not comfortable with my dog's presence. That more space is needed for the other dogs to be comfortable and not feel threatened.

How can people think this is normal and acceptable behavior for dogs to display at the dog park? What responsible owner is going to take their dog into an off leash area, to see if the dogs get along better once they no longer have a fence between them, when their dog has been greeted in such an unwelcoming manner? And yet these are the very people who complain about the aggressive dogs that other people bring to the dog park. Maybe this is why I stopped receiving notifications of the committee meetings. :lol: 8)
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

the difference between a German Shepherd and a poodle: when a sweatshirt falls off the bed without obvious cause, the poodle will look at it, then look at you to see if they should be worried, then go back to sleep. The German Shepherd will start alarm barking and growling at the clearly possessed clothing.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That reminds me of the other day when I was hanging up washing and dropped a sock on Jasper's head. I apologised and picked it up, but he gave me the most filthy look and stomped off into the other room :lol:

How has he managed to put on another half-kilo since September? :shock: He's 36.9kg now. I've cut him back from 700g mince & a carcasse a day to 600g & a carcasse, and on sardine tin days he now gets the sardines instead of some mince, instead of in addition to. His exercise amount hasn't changed. I'm guessing it must be encroaching middle age :( He'll be seven in December!

I'm thinking of videoing his overenthusiastic greetings this afternoon so might post it, or some photos, so you can all reassure me that he's not too porky. I actually don't think he is, but I don't want to turn round one day and mistake him for a golden retriever.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

im currently at the opposite end Judy. Bax used to def be overweight so i put him on a diet. Vet gave me a target lb to hit and i got bax to hit that weight. brought bax in to the vet and the vet gushed about how perfect bax looked and how he should neither gain nor lose a pound..... i think bax looks like a bag of bones right now to be honest :( im kind of sneaking him extra tid bits in the high hopes he'll add a few ounces back on
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Remember that all the dogs you see out and about are probably rather overweight! It's rare to see an actual in-shape dog, so for most people a dog in good shape does look underweight.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

just got back from the vets and apparently he lost some more weight despite my secret efforts to beef him up. on their index he's now a "thin 4" with a 3 being underweight. They recommended i put him on vitamins cause he's raw fed.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13