New puppy - bark in garden!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fladaif

New puppy - bark in garden!

Post by Fladaif »

We are due to bring our puppy home in a few weeks. Things have been made complicated by the fact that we've just moved house and had forgotten what the garden was like!
The main problem is that there are bark chippings in all the flower beds. We'd totally forgotten about it! Are these going to be dangerous for the puppy? Will he try to eat them?
An added complication is that we've just been out in the garden today and there are quite a few mushrooms growing out of the bark. Obviously these need removing! If the bark has got to go it's easy enough (but time consuming) to get the lot out. If the bark can stay is there a safe way to remove the mushrooms?
Fencing etc is all sorted and pup won't be going out apart from toileting until fully vaccinated but we want to get things sorted asap!
Erica

Re: New puppy - bark in garden!

Post by Erica »

It depends on the type of bark/mulch - some is safe, and some isn't. Is there any way to find out what type it is?

If in doubt, I'd suggest either removing it or keeping pup on a leash so you can easily get them away from the bark if they start to look like they're going to eat it. Personally, I wouldn't be leaving pup alone outside for a good few months at least, so by then you'd have a good idea of if the pup is interested in eating it or not. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

As an interim measure you could use chicken fencing around the flower beds (assuming there's a lawn in the middle). I used something like this https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_ke ... n_fencing/ which is easy to put up, move and remove. It might not be secure for a small escapologist or a dog who can jump - and dogs can get tangled in them - so again, you'd need to supervise.

What breed is pup? Some breeds are more likely to eat anything they can fit in their mouths than others.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Chucklevision

Post by Chucklevision »

If my pup is anything to go by, yes he will try to eat the bark and the mushrooms. Everything in our garden is edible (to him)

We've fenced up as many of the areas we want him to avoid as we can and we don't let him out in the garden unsupervised or off -lead unless we're playing fetch or another game. That way we can manage the situation much better. You are better removing the opportunity for him to get these things if possible that way he doesn't get a taste of these things.

We've just used posts and chicken wire to fence off the bits we don't want Dudley accessing. Dped ing how big your garden is, could you fence off and give him his own "safe" area of the garden? That might be easier than removing all the bark.