Raw Food Diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Raw Food Diet

Post by JudyN »

Try adding some fruit and veg to his diet. Jasper gets, say, a couple of tablespoons of pureed veg a day and OH reckons that if he doesn't get it he eats more grass... and cow poo.

It's often recommended that it should either be pureed or lightly cooked, but some people (Nettle, I think) give it as it is - and shredding a cabbage could keep Bax entertained for a while.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Ugh, maybe he's just sick. His stomach is rumbling like crazy and I just fed him his dinner early hoping some food would settle his stomach. He ate his extra helping of liver immediately but wont touch his drumstick. First time i've fed him raw and he hasn't inhaled his food :( poor guy.

Hasn't pooped in two days either now i think on it and he's so fixated on eating grass he won't even try when i take him out.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

And one thing to consider is that some dogs just enjoy eating grass. I know my two do-- even when they were getting super nutritious, grass fed, backyard raised goat, they still cannot resist those sweet, tender new grass shoots coming up this time of year. This time of year, Annie thinks she's part cow, lol!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

One thing I've heard is that you should freeze meat before you feed it to your dog to kill off parasites. I've read differing accounts for how long it should be frozen before it's safe though. Thoughts?

I had a great time, bought Bax 9.5 pounds (4.3 kilograms) and promptly destroyed my kitchen in an attempt to weight it all out. Ended up with almost 2 months of food, a handful of chews in the dehydrator, and a truly massive bone to give as a treat on a good day. Well worth the effort!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Haha, looks like fun. I don't really have an answer for you on that freezing time. I've heard anywhere from two weeks to two months. I think source plays a lot into it.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'm fairly sure the parasite thing is more for wild meat than farmed meat. Freezing time depends on the parasite in question, but the longest I can recall off the top of my head is one month at 0*F. Again, that is usually for wild meat rather than farmed. The source I get Delta's food from freezes it on their end as needed (wild game, salmon) so I don't really worry about it.

Mercola has this article about raw feeding; scrolling down takes you to the "Other Raw Diet Concerns Put to Rest" subsection which goes through things in more detail. :) I don't trust Mercola on its own, but the stuff in that article lines up with what I've found elsewhere. Freeze for a week if you're concerned, or a month if you're *really* concerned. Definitely freeze raw salmon (and certain other types of fish) for at least a week.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So my mom was at the store today and she saw some chicken gizzards and hearts. she texted me if i wanted them for bax and of course i said YES.... but im a bit unsure as to what i count them as? i carefully weigh out his food for 80/10/10.
heart is just muscle so do i count it under the 80?
and what are gizzards? should i save the gizzards for treats?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Gizzards and hearts are both muscle, as far as raw is concerned :)

Organs that move as their primary purpose (hearts, stomachs, lungs, uteri) are fed as muscle meat. Organs that do stuff with hormones and secretions (livers, kidneys, pancreas, brains) are part of the 10% organ.

You can use gizzards as treats or feed as part of the meal or a mix of both :P
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

bax got his as a special treat. he's on a diet so he normally doesn't get dinner but he's been so good i couldnt resist. he was a bit unsure at first but the second time i checked in on him (he eats alone so i don't disturb him) it was gone!

I even slipped some to Ki who was EXTRA sneaky about it. he spirited it away behind the couch and hunched over it to eat. he seemed to enjoy it though if his level or guarding of it was any indication.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax got complimented today by the vet tech. apparently he's at the perfect weight, has no dandruff, and has a shinier coat than her dogs. she says it must be his diet! :lol: :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hey so i FINALLY found not one but TWO meat processors in the area. I'm going to call to see if they have what i want but i just want to make sure i have a solid list. im thinking:

Organs: green tripe, liver, and... kidney?

Odds and ends: chicken feet, trachea's, chicken backs

anything else i should ask if they have?
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'd ask for any organs they have - you want to mix it up to keep from getting unbalanced (eg, organ A has lots of VitB12 but not much VitK, whereas organ B has plenty of VitK but not much VitD, etc etc). I'd honestly just ask what they normally toss out and see if any of that is suitable as well. :P
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

lol yeah i just didnt know if there were any organs he SHOULDN'T have?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Intestines are pretty useless; overfeeding thyroid glands can cause trouble (source); stomachs from non-ruminant animals are not useful. Some organs (uterus, lung, heart) don't count as muscle meat - basically if it moves as its primary function it should be fed as muscle meat. Apart from that, I can't really think of organs you shouldn't feed at the moment...
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ugggghhhh they allready have a bunch of raw dog feeding customers so they're fresh out. my only option from them is to buy 1 lb packages of like liver, heart, or tongue or things like that >.<

if i HAD to pick an organ to feed my dog.... what should it be?

EDIT: second place doesn't "have anything like that" but they also sell packages of heart and live by the pound. Should i just get that? I'm not concerned about paying people prices for dog food. he's a little guy so a pound would last forever I'm just worried he won't get all his vitamins and stuff on JUST liver or JUST heart