Cones

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Cones

Post by Shalista »

So victoria just posted on facebook a really great article about some games you can play to help work with a dog's arousal. https://positively.com/contributors/wha ... ld-i-care/

I'm particularly interested in the first three and it's going to give us something to work on over the summer. I'm a bit stumped on the first one though. its goal is to train a dog to get used to a muzzle or similar apparatus. Bax doesn't need one but id rather he was used to it and not need it then need it and not be used to it. she recommends using a plastic cone for practice but i don't have one and id rather not buy one.

creative thinking caps on? what would give a similar effect? i was thinking paper but that might feel weird and be to flimsy. thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Cones

Post by Erica »

Posterboard? Not the tri-fold cardboard but the other kind. Pretty cheap at drug, grocery, and craft stores...find a picture of an unfolded cone and make an approximation to cut out?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is this in the downloadable e-book? I'm afraid I'd be every reluctant to give them my email address - I get enough unsolicited email as it is.

If you would like him to be able to use a muzzle, why not get a muzzle to practise with? Then you'll have it available, and it'll be familiar to him, if you ever need it, such as if he's in a lot of pain and needs treatment.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i have a junk email that i use to sign up for stuff liek this and then never check :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would buy a muzzle but i dont have alot of $$ atm and i dont want to spend it on something he hopefully will never need.

posterboard would probably work O.o

EDIT: yeah its downloadable, it just opens up once you give email and you can view it or download it from there
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13