Akita help! *update* still need help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: Akita help! *update* still need help!

Post by ScarletSci »

I'm also wondering if he's a little bored, and he's clearly finding this behaviour super rewarding right now.

I know you have to be very careful not to over-exercise him at this age, but I personally think several short walks is better than one longer one. Even a five-ten minute walk in the morning, where you're lead training and he's getting to see the world, will burn some of that energy and excitement, and channel it in a more positive way.

You've mentioned playing with him, but that he isn't very interested? He seems to find the jumping and subsequent reactions the most fun game. If you do several short training sessions throughout the day, you're interacting with him in a positive way, and reinforcing the cues. Training isn't just for the classes, it's to take those lessons into the real world. If he only listens when he wants to, then there's still work to do! Which is to be expected of course at five months old. I think the exercise the mind thread and the box games Nettle mentioned may help you find the types of play he enjoys the most.

I would keep him on a short lead when you have guests, he isn't allowed to jump up, or to mouth. Teach him to settle quietly at your feet, and if he greets calmly, he gets a food reward. Any sign of over excitement, remove him to lie by your feet again, if he mouths, lead him out. No fuss or 'telling off' (he might find this rewarding or reinforcing the behaviour) just a time out. Have guests ignore him, not hype him up or pet the puppy... I don't recommend Cesar Milan's techniques at all, with one exception. When he says "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" for situations like this, it's right. Any of those things directed at the dog by guests at this point might trigger his behaviour.

Counter-surfing - Oy vey! I'm afraid that I don't believe there's a cure for this that's 100% reliable. I'm basing this however on my own dog,who will still do it if she can get away with it without being seen. We've learned to adapt. That means never anything left out on the counters, food, or even tea towels, since she loves to swipe these. Even finding the odd thing on occasion is enough to reinforce that counter surfing occasionally brings a reward! And a reward for Pixie can be a stray pea, a broccoli leaf, a few crumbs, anything. I've learned to live with it by keeping the counters clean, training an 'off' cue for when I catch her at it, and keeping some dishcloths that have been soaked in washing up liquid and a capful of bleach, to wipe the counters down before using them, just in case. Just one of many adjustments we've made in order to live with a dog!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I agree with ScarletSci about the counter surfing - the only way to 'fix' it is never to leave anything there that could reward him. It does become second nature after a time, but there will always be occasional slip-ups. And even a wrapper with nothing left in it might smell good enough to be worth nicking.

I do wonder if it might be a breed characteristic. I once met a husky-type (possibly similar to akitas in ways?) who leapt up at me, grabbed my hair, and darted off. It struck me as very odd at the time.

I'd also work in inpulse control - see video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc Even when a dog has grasped what he's not 'meant' to do and that another strategy would benefit him more, he will still have the urge and he needs the ability to control himself (cf leaving a young child alone with a chocolate cake - they may simply not be able to help themselves). That self-control has to be learnt, but I found it invaluable in training my dog not to jump up on me - after a while I could see him thinking about jumping up and changing his mind at the last moment, particularly if I held up my finger (hand signal for 'wait', or 'don't do what you're thinking of doing :wink: ).

I also played a game where I'd have two carpet tiles which I trained him to target, then I'd get him on a mat at one end of the room & put a treat at the far end, put another mat in front of him & asked him to move to that, moved the first mat in front of that and got him to go to it, and so on, till he reached the treat. It's a fun game, but is based around the dog not following his impulses. Obviously you need to build up to it at a pace that your dog can cope with.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I swear by doing that video! For bax it really helped with his loose leash walking, choosing to NOT sniff everything and NOT pull like a plow horse
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
sophaloaf

Post by sophaloaf »

What i really need kodi to do is stop biting. I tried the puzzle box game with him and it didnt really work. It seemed to make him more excited. Ill keep trying it though and see how it goes.
He bit my sister today a drew blood. Im not sure what else to do =(

It is quite litterally my mom and sister or the dog =(

Thankyou
-sophaloaf
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I have nothing new to add, but I did want to give encouragement. My dog was VERY mouthy as a puppy. She is a Corgi, so much smaller than your dog, but those teeth hurt, none the less. I used the method suggested to you - leave the room the second your pup's teeth touch skin (or clothing). Simply get up and get out for 10 - 20 seconds, come back in and see how it goes. There were times I was in and out of that room dozens of times in an hours time. Often, in the beginning, I would no sooner step back into the room and her teeth would be on me, so out I went again. And again, and again... lol But I was diligent and consistent and over time it paid off.

This method is time consuming and sometimes frustrating and tiring, but it does work. It just takes time, patience and 100% commitment to leave the room every single time. So that means your mom and sister have to be on board too. If they aren't as diligent with this, it will take much, much longer to see any results.

It also helps, as others have stated, to have things nearby to put into his mouth before he mouths you. Sometimes I found this possible, sometimes not. My dog could be pretty quick with those teeth. But when you can, this works in conjunction with the leaving method. And if you get it in his mouth before he gets you, you don't have to leave. :)

Good luck. we have been there, so we know your concern and frustration, but it will get better. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
sophaloaf

Post by sophaloaf »

Thankyou suzette
Really nice to hear the leave the room really does work =)

Thankyou everyone else for your help! Really hope everyones help will work with kodi.
My mom is on board but my sister isny really... but i hope kodi can learn without her
He does know how to he good, he just needs everyone else to help him along =)

Ive also bought a ball with a hole in it to put food in and make him think about how to get the food and making him use his brain a bit more =)

Thankyou everyone again!!
-sophaloaf
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Suzette wrote:This method is time consuming and sometimes frustrating and tiring, but it does work. It just takes time, patience and 100% commitment to leave the room every single time. So that means your mom and sister have to be on board too. If they aren't as diligent with this, it will take much, much longer to see any results.
Absolutely - it is exhausting and hard work. And it takes time. I just checked back to see how old he was and he really is still very young. He may even get worse before he gets better as he teeths, but he will get better. I just wanted to add that it's so important to stay calm - for me, this meant wearing a thick denim jacket all through summer so it didn't hurt so much (and also covered up the fact that my arms were black and blue). I recognise this isn't as easy when it's your face he's trying to bite though.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And I'm another voice telling you it does take time but it does work. And it is so important that the whole household is on board with this.

Don't get frustrated or sad or overwhelmed - most of us have been there, many more than once. What has worked for 6 months isn't going to be given up easily or overnight = research "extinction burst". Be calm and detached. Pretend you are giving a science lesson!

Keep going with the boxes too - they take a lot of bite out of a dog. Not all, but a lot.

Stay with us and we'll support you all the way.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
sophaloaf

Post by sophaloaf »

Thankyou for the support everyone!

JudyN,what breed do you have? I didnt think to try a denim jacket, i have an old one i could try that with. Im covered in bruises...

Nettle
Ive showed my mom and my sister this post and your advice and since then, it seems to be working quite well. He was jumping up and mouthing last night and my sister left the room and he seems to have got he idea today that jumping and biting gets him nowhere =)

Hes been golden today. So well behaved =) i am gonna keep up with the leaving the room and brain working toys so hopefully he will be this well behaved all the time =)

Thankyou agaim everyone!!
-sophaloaf
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's great to hear he seems to be improving, sophaloaf :D I found it so much easier to stick to the strategy once I saw it begin to make a difference.

My dog's a lurcher, but he's a big one. If he jumps up he towers over me.
sophaloaf

Post by sophaloaf »

Thankyou =) just really hope his good behaviour continues =)
Aww really nice breed! Haha same with my Kodi! Im only 4,11 so hes much taller than me already and hes still got some growing to do .

Thanks again!
-sophaloaf
Erica

Post by Erica »

It's great that he's improving! :D So glad you've found what works and can get everyone on board. Just wanted to note that if he has an off day and seems to revert to unruliness, that's totally normal and a part of the learning process - just keep consistent and it'll pass. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
sophaloaf

Post by sophaloaf »

Hi Erica
Yup.. he is having an off day today and being very mouthy. Hopefully tomorrow will be better =)
Thankyou!
-sophaloaf