What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Fundog »

Hi Erica. Yeah, I'm quite well versed about staph and strep and antibiotic resistance. I definitely don't want to be deliberately breeding. :wink: The NP instructed me to take it for "seven days, but if the swelling has not gone, then continue for ten days." The hives appeared on the seventh day, and I took it for eight days before making the connection. I also have asthma, so getting hives as an allergic reaction is a strong warning against anaphylaxis.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Okay, good! In that case I hope it is the meds that are causing it and the dermatitis goes away quickly. :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
master2

Post by master2 »

Just found this interesting read in saturated fat not being the enemy.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturate ... z47PW0AkQA

Personally I eat bacon ( from a local farm were pigs are fed there natural diet and don't get antibiotics) about 3x a week , I have steak 2 a week ( again from grass fed cows and there not pumped with antibiotics like store brought steak) and I have never had any problems with my heart or cholesterol.

What are your takes on this?

In other news Watson is doing well and Sherlock is looking after him.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yesterday Sky and I participated in a 5K walk for a local charity. I tend to be of the mindset that if I am going to wear myself out, I want to wear Sky out at the same time as otherwise when I return home, she will be ready to go and I will not. :lol:

She was the only dog at the event which was good in terms of not having any dog reactivity issues and she got to soak up all of the dog affection from others around. I had OH bathe her the day before the event as it had been many months and she was quite dirty. She now looks several shades less red. (We have red dirt here.) So much so that she looks like a pale yellow once again to almost white. I think the white is deceptive though. She had started blowing coat in early March when we had some really warm days, then stopped when the weather snapped back to cold. Giving her a bath was kind of an iffy deal. She needed to be clean, but the potential for instantaneous full blow was pretty high. I was hoping she would blow in the tub and OH would be able to use the blower for the remainder.

I'm not sure how much blew in the tub, but OH reported that Sky escaped from the wash room when he tried to use the blower. The regular groomer who was using the other tub had left the door to the lobby open and Sky apparently had a nice romp around that with OH trying to get her back contained again. So, no blow out. I arrived home to find a very fuzzy looking dog.

I did go over her with the comb which removed some of the undercoat, but not nearly what was awaiting to spring forth the following day. Every time someone touched her it was like a cloud of fur rising in the air.

I guess I have earned another red lantern for "caniwalking" :lol: I had no idea that people doing the walking section of a 5 k as opposed to the running section would walk so fast. There were two ladies pushing a stroller that were going about the same speed as Sky and I. Occasionally they stopped for a water break, occasionally I stopped for a water break. Towards the end, Sky and I were gaining on them and I had hope that perhaps we would get close enough to make a pass. Then Sky spotted a squirrel in the field.

The squirrel was a little tease. It ran up a near by tree, but only by about a foot and then hung there upside down peeking around the tree at Sky who was refusing to move except in the direction of the squirrel. By the time I finally got her moving again, the stroller was just about out of sight. Oh well. It was a reasonably nice day with co-workers and my dog plus I was at a bit of a disadvantage.

My running shoes are just about worn through. I went last weekend to buy new ones, only to decide by Wednesday that there was something seriously wrong with the new ones. I returned them and have ordered others which should be a better fit. That left me with a choice of shoes with holes, or hiking boots. The event took place at a park with a lake and a 3 mile trail around the lake. Assuming the walk would be around the lake, I figured the hiking boots would be perfectly fine. The walk was totally on roads within the park all paved. Fortunately it was a cool and overcast day so the pavement wasn't too hot for Sky's feet. Hiking boots aren't the best footwear for walking on asphalt.

We did take Sirius and Sky out in the evening for a short walk at the battlefield. I have been a little stiff today. Sky seemed fine until she got the zoomies in the yard just before dinner and apparenty stepped wrong and is now limping. :(
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Sounds like a good time, MP! Hope it's a very temporary limp for Sky. :(

So much dogsitting for me :) Had Amadeus last weekend, Daisy this weekend, Maddie this week, and the young GSD that looks like Opal in two weeks...and then who knows how many more over the summer. Delta is doing way better with separation anxiety (he's fine so long as I leave him with a food toy and a half-handful of kibble) so I don't feel nearly as bad about leaving him here if I have to spend the night at another dog's house; I do make sure to spend some chill time with him to make up for it on those days.

I'm planning a meetup with nearby people from another online dog community; we'll be going to a state park and having a good walk and picnic. About half the dogs will be intact and half neutered, funnily enough. That's not a very common phenomenon in the US! Delta needs a grooming before then; his fur is getting pretty thick. Might try for this weekend as I don't know when I'll have time otherwise.

He's made great progress with ring stacking, sock removing, and grabbing a pillow off of the couch, pulling it onto the floor, and laying down with his head on it. It's hard to figure out new tricks for him now! He learns too fast!

Had a nice weekend as sister was staying elsewhere. ;)
master2

Post by master2 »

My neighbour has written in paint on her gate "vegan because all life matters" :roll:

I found it funny that she is saying all life and animals matter but she has a cat who kills pigeons and leaves there dead body in the garden? :wink:

And yet she once said she would have my dogs put down!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Take those dead pigeons and feed them to your dogs. :twisted:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's just as well I'm not houseproud...

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh wow! That's...a lot of mud.

I'm very glad most of Delta's meals have green tripe in them. Apparently, even frozen, it's pungent enough that terrible sister can't stand being in the room with it for more than like, ten seconds.

:P

(It would probably be overkill to make some sort of green tripe infused water and mist the rooms I spend a lot of time in, wouldn't it? Also very unhygienic...darn.)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lol - I have Jasper's soul sister in black muddy stockings too :lol:

Erica, we need to get together to find some awful smells that Delta will like and yous sister not..... :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

It might also have been that I'd just given Delta a bath and therefore he smelled like wet dog...which is much easier to replicate and less bothersome for me! The shampoo I use is unscented because I'm very sensitive to most soap smells and I can't imagine a dog would want to smell like flowers, given the choice. Delta does love the smell/taste of mint, but I think if I gave him a bath in mint shampoo he'd try to eat it and then lick himself all the time until it wore off. ;)

Speaking of baths, when I started drying him off, he was much more tolerant of the dryer this time than last :D He allowed me to dry his neck without constant treats in his face, and with constant treats in his face I was able to get the top of his head! And when I first got the dryer, I couldn't even dry off his shoulders without putting him in fairly strong distress. Heck, even the gentle hairdryer was very distressing for him!

I know he doesn't like baths, but he hates being picked up even more, so he jumps in the tub on his own. :lol: Thankfully he'll now step up into the car about 50% of the time, so that's easier on him.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper and I went to his raw food suppliers on the way back from a walk as I'd forgotten to add carcasses to the order. When I opened the door to let him out he sniffed the air for ages befor I could get his muzzle on him, mesmerised by the smell of a ton or more of raw meat. We went into their shop area, me holding on to him very tightly, and they brought out a 15kg box of frozen carcasses. The lad carried it out to the car for me, and after he'd put it in the boot I headed back to the shop to pay... Jasper flatly refused to go back in :shock: Why would he not want to go in somewhere that smelt so strongly of meat and was full of all sorts of chew sticks made from all sorts of unsavoury body parts? I can only assume that now a large box of meat was in our car, he didn't want to leave it unattended. It's a good job they did contactless card payment so were able to process it without me going back in.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I agree - it's in the car, Mum - let's go! :lol:

Car is home territory - home is where you eat. Warehouse could be full of predatory monsters.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Warehouse could be full of predatory monsters.
I did wonder if, being Jasper, being so close to so much 'proper' food wasn't an entirely positive experience. The first time he ever had a bone, probably at about 12 weeks, he shook and got himself in quite a state. Probably a bit like if you gave me £100,000 in cash and I had to walk home with it in a transparent bag through a city centre.
master2

Post by master2 »

Today I had a lovely day out with my boys we went to Buxton in Derbyshire for the day as they have a lovely park there we made lots of new doggie friends plus it was that hot I brought them an ice cream to share and I was so proud of Sherlock for not reacting to any of the dogs :D the power of positively :D .

On the downside when we got home I heard this awrful screeching almost screaming noise both dogs ran to the dining room as the window in there views out to the garden and they started barking. I looked out and I was so shocked it was 3 magpies ( I'm not sure if I spelt that right , I'm talking about the bird) they were attacking a baby pigeon :( .

I ran outside and they flew off and the poor pigeon was dead it's tiny head was nearly ripped off :shock: :( .

I put him in a bag and have put him in my garden bin as I did not know what to do with him\her. And I was not going to let my dogs eat him\her as I love pigeons.