after vomiting - what to feed?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

after vomiting - what to feed?

Post by katej215 »

Hey guys,

so the dogs were eating lord knows what which was washed up on the beach yesterday, spongy white stuff covered in sand.... :evil: Anyway, poor Mostyn had been sick everywhere during the night...poor lad looked extremely uncomfortable this morning, not sure if it was because he'd made a mess in his living environment or because he wasn't well....anyway look him out for a short lead walk this morning...he seemed pleased to be going out, pooed normally, his urine looks darker than normal and still obviously feeling sick , as he ate a bit of grass and retched a bit more. Haven't tried to offer him food, I thought I'd wait till his normal feed time this eve, but was wondering what you thought I should give him? I have heard of slippery elm for upset tums? I thought also of maybe cooking up some squash (same as pumpkin right?) and mixing with some Lamb BARF which i have in? Just wondered what people thought?

Hattie on the other hand hasn't been sick, but she is quiet...however she has been pretty quiet recently anyway...I think it's normal post season blues...she's still tucked up in our bed bless her ...
JudyN

Re: after vomiting - what to feed?

Post by JudyN »

I hope they're better soon :(

If you think Mostyn might be a bit hydrated, you could try chicken broth - boil up a couple of chicken carcasses in a few pints of water (I can't remember what quantities I used but it doesn't really matter) for around an hour, strain, and give him the liquid. Jasper loved this even when he wouldn't touch solids. You can also give them the boiled meat off the carcasses (but not the bones as they're cooked).

I'd also give cooked chicken, which may be more digestible than raw - though plenty of raw feeders would recommend raw chicken only.

I've never seen any improvement with slipper elm/tree barks powder, though a lot of people swear by it. I'm sure it wouldn't harm.

I'm not a great believer in starving the dog for 24 hours after being ill, though this is more out of concern for Jasper's mental health than physical :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Thanks Judy!

I've actually just got back from the vet ..he looked so lack lustre I got a bit worried about him...so took him and his overnight sick down to the vet.

The vet reckons the stuff he ate yesterday was some kind of rubber matter which he has been unable to digest. He has given me ant -acid tablets (not sure how I feel about this, as I know with humans it's not a great thing, its probiotics you need right) and some hydration fluid. He also told me not to let him eat grass as this will irritate his tum further...so he suggested feeding little and often for now to feed his small intestine (cooked chicken and rice) ...(I won't be giving him the rice)..but he also said the tablets will interfere with his stomach bacteria, so not to feed him raw till he's off the tablets. Honestly coming back from the vet always leaves me with such mixed feelings!!!

So given I'm veggie and no little about cooking chicken ...do i just stick a whole chicken in a pan of boiling water till it looks cooked? (yuk)

I've also heard people mention tripe...but the stuff my butcher gets is white bleached stuff ???
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The hell with the tripe. That's a bridge too far for a vegetarian!!

Are you simmering the chicken in water? If so just bring to the boil then turn down heat so it is just slightly whispering with bubbles, and an hour should do it. Use the chicken broth to tempt your dog before you add the meat.

I am a little nervous of your vet's complacency. There is some toxic fat (from shipping) that gets washed up on our beaches on the south coast, so while I don't want to put the frighteners on you, do check this out because if this is what he has eaten he needs more robust care than your vet is offering. If by contrast he has eaten polystyrene foam sort of litter, then he may have a blockage, so watch out for bowel movements.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Make sure to pull out the gizzards if they package those inside the chest cavity like they do here - while the meaty bits can and should go in the pot with the rest of the chicken, they may be in a plastic bag or have some absorbant pad around them.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Toxic fat is palm oil if you want to look it up.

katej215

Post by katej215 »

thanks guys!
Erica wrote:Make sure to pull out the gizzards if they package those inside the chest cavity like they do here - while the meaty bits can and should go in the pot with the rest of the chicken, they may be in a plastic bag or have some absorbant pad around them.
I was munching a mushroom toasted sandwich whilst reading this...kind of made me feel a bit queasy :lol:

I've actually bottled out on cooking a whole chicken ...i have bought a cooked chicken, which I'll take the meat off and a couple of raw fillets to cook and make broth with ....
Nettle wrote:There is some toxic fat (from shipping) that gets washed up on our beaches on the south coast, so while I don't want to put the frighteners on you, do check this out because if this is what he has eaten he needs more robust care than your vet is offering. If by contrast he has eaten polystyrene foam sort of litter, then he may have a blockage, so watch out for bowel movements.
We live right on the Thames estuary ...so lots of shipping traffic :( It definitely isn't polystyrene, more like soft white rubber in a lump, so couldn't squish flat like fat...but that dosen't mean it isn't shipping waste fat?

He really isn't a happy lad..just tried him with a bit of cooked chicken and wouldn't eat it (this is the foodiest dog in the world... :( ) but on a positive he was barking at the postman earlier...Will google palm oil and keep a close eye on him...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm with Nettle-- my first thought when I read your post was palm oil, (I've been seeing the warnings all over FB) and then I was thinking you should take him to the vet straightaway... glad to see you've done that.

I think some slippery elm would not hurt. It has been so many hours I don't know just how much of the toxins in what he ate might have been absorbed already, but some slippery elm would help coat the digestive tract, limiting further absorption, and also helping whatever is left to be expelled. And that is what we want-- we don't want to stop up any runny poo (keep him hydrated with broth if you can), but rather we want the body to do what it does best and flush that nastiness OUT. And it wouldn't hurt to treat Hattie also, *just in case.*

After you've got through this crisis, I would be looking for another vet, one that makes you feel more confident in his/her level of care. :wink:

Also, get them both started on some echinacea. It will help their immune systems to fight any toxins they may have absorbed. After they start feeling better, do start the probiotics.
Last edited by Fundog on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Just to update ..I rang the vets and he dosen't think the substance is palm oil....phew
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's good news. I still recommend what I just posted above. It can't hurt, and may help aid further recovery, whatever it was.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

thanks Fundog :) . I know you're in the states and we're in the Uk but what brand of probiotics would you recommend?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I honestly don't know, as I've never actually purchased any. :oops: I've always managed to find natural forms of probiotics, such as found in green tripe (it's the stuff that is not boiled and bleached and sold in stores for human consumption, but the kind that still has remnants of partially digested grass/hay in it), or let my girls pick up a cow patty when we're walking through the public grazing areas. That being said: Lactobacillus (found in yogurt and kefir) is also a good probiotic, so you whatever you buy from the store should contain that.

If you wanted, and have the stomach for it, you might be able to get some packaged green tripe from one of the raw food suppliers in your area-- then all you'd have to do is open the package and drop it into a food bowl, and not actually have to cut up a stomach yourself. (I've done that-- my human family members were none too pleased, lol!)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can get lactobacillus capsules in the health shops. And I agree that kefir and/or plain bio yoghurt will help, along with Fundog's other great advice.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, green tripe is the sort to feed to dogs - don't give him white. You'll probably need to get it from a dog food company.

It does stink, but it's doable, even for a vegetarian. Just never ever ever cook it and don't even defrost it in the microwave or you'll live to regret it :mrgreen:

I had been thinking of carcasses as in what's left after the breasts, legs, wings, neck etc. have been removed rather than the whole bird. I'm wondering if there would be any advantage to having some bones and cartilage in there for the broth rather than using fillets - but as the aim is to make sure he drinks enough that doesn't really matter as long as it tempts him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote:I had been thinking of carcasses as in what's left after the breasts, legs, wings, neck etc. have been removed rather than the whole bird. I'm wondering if there would be any advantage to having some bones and cartilage in there for the broth rather than using fillets
So took the meat off the cooked chicken and boiled and strained the carcass, so Mostyn has enjoyed a nice bowl of chicken broth and is now fast asleep :D A relief to get some fluids into him. I also bought him a pot of plain bio yoghurt which he has had a few licks of...hopefully after a miserable day today he'll be a bit better tmw.