Hello from Turkey

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Imbat

Hello from Turkey

Post by Imbat »

Hi everyone, I am an English man living in Turkey who is a first time dog owner. We have had George for 5yrs now since he followed us back from the beach one day. He is a very scared mixed breed who hates strangers & is very weary of new dogs especially when on lead. Very territorial & goes mental if any dogs approach the garden which is the main problem that we have along with launching himself at other dogs when out walking. Here in Turkey there are a lot of street dogs roaming around & we go out every morning early & feed the local pack & he plays with them well when off lead but he does not like confident male dogs who take his space so I have to be very careful. He is not very food orientated & does not play much other than with other dogs so training him is difficult. I'm just hopeing to get some ideas on how to make him more relaxed & happy as I am getting to old now to handle all the stress :) Money is tight so any ideas that don't need to much cash would be gratefully accepted.
Shalista

Re: Hello from Turkey

Post by Shalista »

Hello and welcome! You should totally post some pictures of your dog! I'm sure someone with more experience will come along soon to snwer your questions, I'm just here to say welcome to the board!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks Shalista :) I would love to post photo's but I am a bit techno challenged :) I will post as soon as I can work it out.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi, and welcome. :) I'm afraid your problem is a bit out of my depth, but I've PM'd a moderator and asked that this thread be moved to where it is more likely to be seen by someone who will hopefully have some good advice. Don't think you're being ignored-- you just haven't been seen by the right people. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks for that Fundog :) your help is much appreciated :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've moved your post to the training section, Imbat - I hope one of the experts here can give you some advice soon :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks Judyn :) just trying to introduce him to the site really but any help would be a bonus. He is not a clingy dog by any means & I just want to make sure I can make him as happy as possible with my little knowledge :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hi and welcome :)

What do you want to train him to do? What sort of size is he? Please gve us a rundown of his average day including what he is fed and when, what his favourite things are, no details too small - we love detailed posts.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Hi Nettle, George is a medium sized 5yr old street dog that followed us home when he was approx 5mnths old. At first if strangers approached him he would pee with fear but he has improved over the years. He spends most of his time in the garden coming in to sleep & also if the weather is poor but is mainly an outside dog. Each morning around 7.00am we head out for a 30-45min walk where we feed the other street dogs & in the winter when there are no tourists he gets to get off lead & have a run with the other dogs. He panicks if there are strangers around & will bolt if they get between me & him ignoring my commands to come. We head back approx 8.00am & he gets his breakfast, mainly kibble but with rice & some cooked meat (turkey or beef) added. He then spends most of the day in the garden or on the balcony. If he is to hyper from passing people or dogs etc. We put him on the line away from the gate or bring him in. Around 5.00pm he has his dinner, normally the same as breakfast & 45 mins later I spend about 1-2hrs trying to get him running round but other than chasing other dogs he really does not play much. You can throw a ball two or three times then he gets bored. Finally he is brought in & sleeps in the porch & I leave a couple of biscuits with him when I go to bed.
I know it is not the perfect set up but here in Turkey most dogs are outside dogs & are allowed to roam free but I have to keep George away from the stresses of strangers as much as possible.
If he is given space & time once he meets people he loves them but it has to be on his terms.
Just wanting to make him a happier more relaxed dog but as he is not food or play driven his trining has come to a halt. He comes if he wants to & will stay most of the time but thats about it.
Hope you can help me put a bit more of a smile on his face :)

Thanks for the response :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Given the difficulties, I think you have made a good life for him.

Check out our 'exercise the mind' pinned thread for ideas on exercises you can do together in the safety of your yard. Some he'll like and some he won't, so run through them at the rate of one a day and see what he likes to involve himself in. These exercises build confidence because he gets to do something rewarding with you, and in a safe environment.

Given his background, it is entirely predictable that he fears strange people and that he already has good dog skills in reading other dogs. If HE says he doesn't like a dog, then he is right - that dog is a threat to him. He bolts because it is the safest option - he knows you cannot protect him from the other dogs because there are too many of them.

None of this is about training - we can't train away fear or its little brothers, caution and apprehension. So it's all about keeping him safe. He isn't an ideal dog that's had an ideal life and you can't change that.

Try the "games" and see what he thinks. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks again for your help. i will have a look at those & see what we can do. :)
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Imbat wrote:Thanks again for your help. i will have a look at those & see what we can do. :)
Hi, I just wanted to add a welcome to the board! :D

If you'd like to know how to upload pictures, it's pretty easy when you know the steps. I'm a luddite and figured it out :wink: Get photos from your camera onto your computer by removing the micro SD card from the camera (assuming you have a digital camera) and they'll be saved to 'pictures' in your computer. Go to TinyPic.com, and click upload. Select the photo you want to share and click 'upload', and you'll get four lines of code. Copy the second line of code (marked for use in forums), and paste it inside the comment box. It'll still look like just a line of code in the comment box, but when you hit submit, it should show the photo. Happy to break this down further if you'd like!

I hope you stick around and continue reading, sometimes just reading what others are doing with their dogs will give you ideas and inspiration. The community is also patient and welcoming. :D
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

Thanks Scarletsci, I had a bit of help with my photo but I will give it another try tomorrow. People have been very welcoming so hoping to pick up some good tips for George :)