Noise

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Noise

Post by Nettle »

Don't try to restrain him on your lap - it makes him even more fearful. Dogs need space around them when they are scared or upset.

By building his general confidence - as you have been doing - he will feel less need to be reactive. But he is a terrier and you can't take the terrierness out of him.

Growling and whining is communication. Talk to him, tell him thanks for telling me, I'll deal with it now, then find him something nice to do.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

He just seems so unhappy about it like its really stressing him out =( wish there was something i could do.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can only do what is possible. Given that he's a rescue dog, the family spends most of its time yelling at him, the other dog freaks him out, and he is subjected to visitors that he is supposed just to put up with, it's a wonder he isn't completely neurotic. Lucky that terriers have strong characters, and that you are committed to helping him.

The more you can take him out to quiet places where he can simply sniff and chill out, the more you help him.

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Growing increasingly frustrated with the noise as it gets worse and worse. The only time i can get him quiet is when I'm working with him actively either playing or training, or if he has a chew or kong, most of the rest of the time he's whining, chirping, growling, or barking. Even worse he'll stand and stare at me while he barks and the moment i turn to look at him he stops barking and comes trotting up. if i do nothing then he'll sit. then he'll down. EXACTLY like when i have a treat and he's not sure what i want. I just have this horrible sinking feeling that all my work has simply taught him that barking = treats.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

My dad has started talking about rehoming Bax because of the barking. I don't know what I'm going to do.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm so sorry - you have put in so much effort, but in difficult circumstances. What he really needs is a stress-free house probably without other dogs, a trial of a different food, and a positive behaviourist who can observe what's going on. Sometimes the world conspires against us though. Virtual (((((hugs)))))
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

He may just be threatening it to hold it over my head. He thinks this is my fault because i used positive training and that if id just trained bax the "normal" way bax would be better behaved.

It doesnt help that bax apparently only barks when I'm home. when im at school he's fine.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think it was WufWufs who explained it to me when I wondered why Delta was "better behaved" when I wasn't home. It's less that they behave well, and more that they behave less, when the people they feel most comfortable around aren't there.

I wish I had advice for you. Were I in your place I would be looking into a trainer if not a veterinary behaviorist; from what it sounds like, Bax is fairly anxious in that environment and it's difficult for him to handle that stress and I would be wondering if medication might be helpful to help him, or if there was something someone with a lot of experience would be able to see that I couldn't. I don't know if that's an option for you or not. )))hugs((( because I know it must be really stressful for you too!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

merh =( stress level is through the roof for me. I did learn that that high corn food he's on? the DCO stuff IS because he's anxious. Why they would just throw fiber at a dog with loose stool cause he's anxious is beyond me. wouldn't you try to treat the anxiety first? I'm going to hit up the vet and see if they can put him on some meds. i dont like the thought of medicating him but if my choices are medicating him and LOSING him, i'll medicate =(

(especially worrisome is the fact that there are no 'no kill' shelters around here so if he went in.........)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

High corn - as I said in another thread - increases anxiety becaue it interferes with serotonin uptake. So you can still try a change of food before you get to drugs. Also research Bach Flower Remedies - they don't cost much and I have found certain ones very helpful in anxiety situations. But because anxiety has many different causes, you must do the research and choose the right one/s for your situation. I have never found Rescue Remedy to hit the spot, but others have.

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Also, before pharmaceuticals (drugs), you might look into herbal therapy (in addition to the Bach Flower Remedies). There are sooo many different herbs and herbal compounds out there for just about everything, from anxiety to digestive problems to arthritis and immunity support.

I order a specific herbal compound for my dogs' arthritis from a company that formulates and markets herbs for dogs and horses (though a lot of humans use their products for themselves too. :wink: ) This company also has a compound for stress (it contains a lot of soothing, calming herbs), and one for digestive health. My own veterinarian, who is also a master herbalist, is their veterinary consult, and helped put the formulations together.

I don't have any kind of shares, stock, or investment in this company, and I get no kick-backs or commissions whatsoever for recommending it, so if you decide it's not for you, don't feel bad. It's no skin off my nose. I don't want to post the company name or website here directly, just in case it generates spam. Anyone who is remotely interested can send me a PM, and I will give you the website address. Go have a look, if you're interested, and see if they have something that's right for you and your dog (or horse, if anyone reading this has a horse). The compounds are a very finely ground powder, a tiny amount goes a long way, so a four ounce jar could last you several months, depending on the size of your dog. I get a four ounce jar and it lasts my two larger dogs two or three months. And they have promotions and specials every time there is a "Hallmark Holiday." :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

now that I'm "finally doing something about it" (ie getting him meds from the vet) the whole family is jumping on board. my brother even commented that bax's bark sounds different from other dogs apparently? he thinks most dogs bark and its kind of like "hey look at this! there's a thing! look at it!" apparently bax sounds absolutely terrified? might just be the pitch difference in terriers though.

we've also noticed that it seems to be sounds setting him off. someone touching a door knob, geese passing overhead, setting down a cup on a table, a thump upstairs. he has a constant whine/growl going on but it will escalate quickly into a full on barking spree at a sound.

That being said my dad wants me to start checking out behaviorists in the area to so that's a plus. We'll figure this out!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That sounds much more positive, Shalista :D You know the routine - if any behaviorist says you need to be strict with him and show him you're boss, get Bax to bite them in the bum :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Nothing is more heartbreaking then taking bax on a 2mile walk to tire him out, coming home, sitting at my computer, and having him set off at some sound. WHYYYYYY?

And yeah i got Bax covered :wink:

also: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW browsing other forums for tips on getting dogs to stop barking and WOW some people........ :cry:
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I've been trying to catch up on your posts about Bax, but one thing that strikes me is that 2 miles really isn't very far for a terrier to walk. It's even less if walking is all you do - you can make it more tiring by doing lots of training and nosework as you go. I do wonder if increasing his activity by increasing the length of walk AND the intensity of it you might get a more settled dog because he is mentally tired and not frustrated and therefore less seeking of your attention?
Also is that 2 miles the only walk he gets ie does he get one walk a day?