Choking on leash

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Choking on leash

Post by Shalista »

So when bax goes outside (and rarely when inside) he occasionally starts to choke. he starts by wheezing, then gagging, then he squats and chokes for a bit before standing up and walking away. Is this normal? He does it when he gets excited, to much running around crazily i think :roll: . My sisters dog does it ALOT and i always assumed it was because she leash pops him on his flat collar and she'd damaged his trachea, but bax does it to and he's almost always used a harness. Bax has pulled alot, and he has pulled alot while wearing a flat collar in the past so its possible he'd damaged it then? its not a behavior thats increasing so i'm not very concerned, but should i be? should i talk to the vet about it? do other peoples dogs do it?

like i said he's done it inside when hes not wearing anything except a loose flat collar with his tags.
my trainer has checked out bax's harness and thinks it fits him perfectly.
the harness doesn't go anywhere near his throat
i have never noticed excessive drooling or vomiting when it happens.

am i being paranoid?

TLDR - my dog occasionally chokes on nothing. is this normal?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Choking on leash

Post by Erica »

Look up some videos of reverse sneezing and see if those look familiar. It sounds kind of like that - the Cavaliers I take care of reverse sneeze when they're excited, and it's not uncommon. As far as I know it's not really dangerous if it resolves itself in a reasonable time either.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yup, that is EXACTLY it, thank you so much you saved me a vet trip!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Glad it's that and nothing serious :) I'd mention it whenever you next end up at the vets, just so they know, but if it looks like reverse sneezing I wouldn't make a trip just for that unless it gets worse.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14