Puppy coughing/gagging when eating,excited, and randomly

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BRYANSGIRL82114

Puppy coughing/gagging when eating,excited, and randomly

Post by BRYANSGIRL82114 »

Bella is 5 months old this morning she was fine, I get up feed her as she is eating she starts doing what seem like choking it lasts a few minutes. She gets ok but continued to gag randomly and sometimes having really bad fits. I took her into the vet who just listened to heart lungs felt her throat and looked at her gums and said it was probably irritation caused by eating to fast. She is still gagging when she gets excited and just at random times throughout the day it has been going on more then 12 hours. The vet did prescribe some antibiotics which she said will also help for her spay this wednesday. Should I be worried about the coughing or trust my vet, I do not have any more money right now for a second opinion just enough for her spay and to get dog food each month until I get my next check we only have 10$ left on our care credit card. It's worrying me because I had a pit start coughing and her neck started swelling and she was diagnosed with cancer when she was only 3 years of age and we had to put her down
Erica

Re: Puppy coughing/gagging when eating,excited, and randomly

Post by Erica »

Could it be reverse sneezing? Here's an example video.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
BRYANSGIRL82114

No it's more like one gag like shes trying to clear her throat and she stops for a while
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If the problem is eating too fast, you can get 'slow feed bowls', or just put a tennis ball or upturned mug in her bow, feed from Kongs and treat balls, or (if kibble) scatter her food over the floor. Might be worth a try.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If this has only just started (wasn't clear from your post) it might also be kennel cough, which will get better on its own but is highly infectious to other dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
BRYANSGIRL82114

it started yesterday when she ate, Vet didn't think it was kennel cough because she was able to touch her throat without her coughing and since she has not been exposed to the virus.
BRYANSGIRL82114

it is also worse this morning
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds very like KC to me. But I am not with you and I can't see for myself. KC can be carried by birds, on shoes etc. How about you call a few vets and ask if there is KC in your area?

Is she coughing randomly through the day or just when she eats?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

my late German shepherd had KC when he was a pup (he caught it of next doors dog) the vet was still able to touch Theo's throat and he kept him in and watched what happened and once he saw him coughing he said it was kennel cough.

does it sound/look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEDWjqG1qU
BRYANSGIRL82114

throughout the day about once every 20 minutes not when she eats anymore. it doesn't really sound like KC does when dog coughs it sounds more like she is just trying to clear her throat not a bad honking sound
BRYANSGIRL82114

When she coughs it isn't like that she coughs once and is done for about 20 minutes its not a continuous cough like that
BRYANSGIRL82114

It's been about 30 minutes since I last heard her cough. The vet doesn't think it was KC cz it only started yesterday when she ate she was fine before she ate
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

ok look at this video and see if there is anything similar. also what breed is she please as certain breeds can be prone to certain things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-nxfOAd8iM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WrT2719yo

if it does not sound like any of these then read this and see is anything is similar http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... ghing.aspx
BRYANSGIRL82114

all I know is her mom was a toy poodle/Terrier mix her dad is unknown. I went ahead and got her spayed today and she isn't coughing as often she was pretty bad this morning but it calmed down. They spayed her using the new scoptic method, They did a exam before spaying her to make sure it wasn't anything to affect her being spayed
BRYANSGIRL82114

It sounds the most like the first one, it happens maybe every 30 minutes to an hour and when she wakes up, She isn't coughing as much today, Like Ii said it was a-lot this morning but she was unable to drink water to soothe her throat due to having surgery today