English Cocker Spaniel info please

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

English Cocker Spaniel info please

Post by master2 »

Hello

I am asking on behalf of my brother as he will be coming next weeks so thought I would ask to see what experience anyone has with the English cocker. he already owns a female Labrador who is 3yrs and is ready to get his second dog as he has always wanted a cocker but he is unsure with what he has read about Rage syndrome and that they can be snappy. (he likes the show line)

is this true as I told him that if he puts just as much effort as he has with his lab he will be fine with a ECS.

what do you all think or do you know anything about the breed my brother should know?
Nettle

Re: English Cocker Spaniel info please

Post by Nettle »

Is this an English cocker in England? Because the EC in America is a totally different dog. I can only advise on the English/England version.

Show type is less 'busy' than working type but more exaggerated in coat and physique (so extra grooming will be needed). Rage syndrome never truly existed - it was a result of highly driven cockers not having their needs fulfilled, and then being cornered, usually under a table or other furniture. They are very sensitive to junk food so whatever your brother plans to feed, make sure he does not choose highly coloured high-sugar dried food. He'll be okay (if he must feed kibble) using a plain version.

Having said that, a cocker will be a huge culture shock after a Lab. as I don't believe they possess an 'off' switch :lol: They are great little dogs and love to learn. He'll have a ball doing tracking games with him/her.

Be aware of the saying: "Labradors are born half-trained: spaniels die half-trained".

GWD is our resident expert on spaniels in America.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi Nettle

my brother has read and has decided to not get a cocker. he decided he does not want a culture shock :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

ec's are delightful little dogs. Busy, happy, busy and engaging. ...........did I mention busy? Going from a lab to an EC would be a culture shock. i'm going to throw out an idea but has he considered a field spaniel? They are a little more reserved than ec's and the grooming requirements are not as intense..........they're much lower key dogs and quite nice, temperament wise.