Delicate tummy

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Delicate tummy

Post by katej215 »

Hey guys...

So Mostyn our rescue boy is now on a raw diet. From day 1 of having him (we fed him kibble for the first few weeks, as that is what he was used to) there have been a day here and there when i can only assume he has had a delicate tum....basically refuses all food, even sausage treats, goes to the toilet for a horrible looking poop, then is fine again.. :shock:

Yesterday though he was like this all day, (his poops looked fine actually) he got quieter as the day went on, and this morning I thought i would take him to the vet if no change but he has taken some sausage off me...so I am going to just keep an eye...BTW This is not a fussy eating dog, he inhales his food as a general rule....

so 2 questions really...Assuming this is delicate tum issues?

Is there anything I could give him to soothe his tum after a bout of not eating?

anything I should avoid feeding ....he gets pretty much everything in a standard week ....lamb neck, chicken carcass, oxtail, pigs ribs and pigs liver, lamb heart and cooked fish, plus coconut oil and salmon oil

Also now he is pretty much up to target weight I have reduced his food to one meal a day - he gets around 350g a day.

delladooo

Re: Delicate tummy

Post by delladooo »

I like slippery elm for an upset tum. Dorwest do a tree barks powder which is the one I use. I think it smells really good and ours will eat it with food no problem.

Personally I wouldn't avoid feeding anything in particular unless you know it upsets him, you could possibly try an elimination diet to see if this is the case :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'd be tempted to try an elimination diet - start off with a week or two of nothing but chicken (including treats, etc.) and see if you notice any different. Then introduce other meats one at a time. Are you feeding the richer meats and offal little and often, or giving a large amount every few days? Jasper would have an awful tummy if I gave him a week's worth of liver all in one go, and duck two days running can make him sick as it's quite fatty.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Hmmm thanks ladies, great food for thought.

Yup , I batch up the food in the freezer..so prior to yesterday he had a meal of oxtails and heart..and the night before just a heart....so maybe I need to mix the rich food with the bony food...He has been getting the same thing for a few nights, ie rich food, say hearts , then it'll change to say chicken carcasses for a few nights etc etc

I'll also get some slippery elm - thanks guys :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Consider his worm status.

If he was very wormy when he came into rescue/to you, there may be gut damage. This does right itself eventually but is a bit 'two forward, one back' to begin with. As well as the helpful adevice already given, consider adding cooked apple, pear and/or pumpkin to soothe the gut.

If he hasn't been wormed since you took him on (sorry - I forget the timescale) he might be due another treatment.

Charcoal biscuits can be good if given in moderation - they mop up over-acidity in the gut.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

katej215 wrote:He has been getting the same thing for a few nights, ie rich food, say hearts , then it'll change to say chicken carcasses for a few nights etc etc
Yep, that would play absolute havoc with Jasper's digestion :lol: You could create a 'rich food blend' by chopping/pureeing hearts, liver, etc, and freeze it in 'daily dose' amounts. If you do it by the book he should be getting about 17.5g liver a day - maybe freeze it in ice cube trays and give him one a day plus a chicken carcass, plus richer foods to make up the rest of the weight.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote:Yep, that would play absolute havoc with Jasper's digestion
Oops..looks like i need a rethink ...he's been getting way more liver than 17g :oops:
Nettle wrote:If he was very wormy when he came into rescue/to you, there may be gut damage. This does right itself eventually but is a bit 'two forward, one back' to begin with. As well as the helpful adevice already given, consider adding cooked apple, pear and/or pumpkin to soothe the gut.
thanks Nettle. I've actually been giving him monthly Advocate since we got him end of July...my plan was to blast him for a couple of months, then get him wormcounted, and then hopefully get him off wormers altogether. Hattie has been worm /flea clear for more than 2 years now which i find astounding..especially given her love of stinking bogs and long grass... :roll:

Will get some of the fruit veg in his diet you recommended - thanks guys :D