Sadness..

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Sadness..

Post by emmabeth »

I think most folk know, we lost Rockydog on monday morning at the grand old age of 15... im in bits, its a long time .. im all numb..

SO THATS WHY THE SPAMMERS ARE OUT, COS THEY KNOW IM WEAKENED!.. gah!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Re: Sadness..

Post by Suzette »

Emmabeth I am just so sorry for your very great loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((hugs)))
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Gentle hugs and much empathy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Best wishes Emmabeth.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Oh I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking losing a much loved pet. :(
Sleep well, Rocky dog.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

((((((((Hugs)))))))))) EB :(

Run free, Rocky.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

So very sorry EB. RIP Rocky. Hugs
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

just seeing this now.

Emma, so sorry.
gwd

Post by gwd »

So sorry to hear about your loss......... it's never easy.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its just, ugh, there arent really words tbh.. hes been here for 15 years and now.. he's not, and my brain just can't compute that at all.

I think in part its because healthwise he was very very good for a very long time and I acted very quickly when he began to struggle - without a doubt I could have dragged it out for ages with pills and jabs and tests and all sorts, but that wasn't the right thing to do and I am cool with that decision.
Also i think its not helping that I chose not to have his ashes back - one a practical, reasonable, rational level, they arejust ashes, they are not him.. but then.. if I had, well I would have something! And now, really, I have nothing. Well, I have a smaller debt to the vets LOL but.. mm. Gonna perhaps rethink my position on the whole ashes/no ashes thing in future I think. (no one worry im good just thinking outloud here!)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't have ashes back for that reason. They are not the spirit we love (who is only ever a thought away) and, frankly, is unlikely even to be their ashes.

However I do find it helpful to dedicate a place I can go and be quiet and think of them. I haven't always been able to do this, and I missed it when I couldn't.

For people who can, a little flowering tree or shrub or plant of some kind keeps growing in their memory and gives focus for those times when it swings round and hits you unexpectedly.

And I do find burning a candle helps me - but I do appreciate it isn't for everybody or every domestic situation. I just offer these thoughts in the hope that they may help some of us.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I'm sorry you're still struggling Emmabeth. I have never gotten my pets ashes back, but I always keep something that was just theirs - a collar, a favorite toy, a food dish, whatever, as my tangible keepsake of their time in my life. But it is my memories of them that really sustain me and make me smile and feel joy.

I have a friend who makes a plaster cast of one paw print from each of her pets. I think this would also be a lovely way to have a cherished keepsake of our furry friends. I think I will be doing this from now on myself. Anyway, all the best as your heart heals.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Today was odd.. I heard a dog barking in a car at the supermarket, this dogs bark sounded so much like Rockys, i had to go look and omg.. it was a black and tan staffie x type with the same facial markings as Rocky. My brain MADE me go look... 'in case its him'.. I know, crazy, I KNOW hes gone but my brain is like 'but but.. it miiiiiiight be him...'

Anyway I have to thank crazy car dog because when he saw me, he shoved his head onto the parcel shelf and did this crazy grinning barking WINDOW LICKING thing that was so totally hilarious and also totally NOT like Rocky that I laughed!
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Communal cremation and no ashes here with mine. It's just a shell and the essence will always be in my heart.
I have kept collars and bowls together with significant achievements but never look at them.
I have a 15 year old too and think I am prepared and reconciled to being without her some day soon.