More Mods?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dibbythedog

More Mods?

Post by Dibbythedog »

Hiya , I know I've bought this up before and it was decided not to have another Mod but should we rethink that?
Its not fair to Emmabeth to have the burden of dealing with spammers as well as answering the posts especially as she is heartbroken and grieving for Rocky.
We have long term regular members who we can trust and who might like to volunteer, Nettle , JudyN and jacks dad for example!

Any thoughts?
Alison
JudyN

Re: More Mods?

Post by JudyN »

I confess, there's times I've felt like wandering away from the forum because of the amount of spam and also because I often see posts from new (and existing) members that don't get replies (my knowledge is very limited). EB does what she can, but it's too much for her. With better software/activation protocol, the spammers would never get as far as posting in the first place, for a start. Not giving EB admin rights, and only having one mod doesn't work, IMO.

But I know this has been raised in the past and assume EB has hit a brick wall when trying to get anything changed.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its ok, its 'fair' because I do get paid - but the spam sometimes (like thsi week) appears faster than I can remove it in the short time I am supposed to be here.

It would help if I had admin access but thats a WHOLE lot of trust to put into someone.. and also relatively recently, some of the forum upgrades actually made it harder to quickly remove spam AND prevent those people coming back on the same IP/Username.

I will speak to Da Boss about it though, tis long overdue for a bit of a rejig and tidy upskis!

Thankyou all for hanging in there and particularly this last couple of weeks when I have been pre-occupied with Rocky getting frailer and then having to be PTS!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Emma , i know you get paid, but even so this site does get very busy at times and its lot for one person to do. you can't be expected to be here 24/7. Also, You should be able to concentrate on answering the questions without having to deal with spammers. Most forums have several mods who are mainly volunteers and do a very good job. Members have been here for years , and have proved themselves to be loyal and trustworthy, like yourself. :D
Forums are dropping like nine pins thanks to Facebook and it puts people off if the site looks neglected, I expect people come here because its linked to Victoria's website and it would nice if they stayed.

Sorry if that is frank but I do worry about the future of the forum . its so nice to come to one that is PR and friendly !

BTW , who is Boardhost. is it a real person? :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I second everything you say, Dibby :D

EB, I really don't know what the powers-that-be think you're going to break if they give you admin power. It doesn't have to mean you have the ability to tinker with the software under the hood. The risk of the forum dying because it doesn't look as if it's well run is far greater than the risk of you doing a massive oopsy in the admin panel.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

If it was possible, I agree that a couple of trusted members might be 'given' restricted access to responsibly edit posts, even if only to move SP*M posts to one folder/location out of the public view. The posts could then be 'dealt with' by an authorised person. Just a thought ... :?:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

That's a good idea.
I was a Mod once on a small forum and we were able to delete and edit posts and that was all.
We were all volunteers and never abused that trust and were very fair.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It is also useful to have a private area where mods can raise issues and ask about how to deal with something they're not sure of without it being on the open forum.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Indeed to all those things, and yes boardhost is real, I've even met Boardhost.. hehehe!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I am so glad to hear the very real concern about the excessive amount of spam here is getting addressed. I once referred an acquaintance to this forum who was having a behavioral issue with her two dogs but never saw her post. I saw her a few weeks later and she said she came, saw all the spam and left without posting. She found it very off-putting. If this happened with her I have to wonder how many others have done the same. So I hope you have success Emmabeth with the powers that be. I think the future of this forum depends on it.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Erica

Post by Erica »

I've had similar experiences as Suzette...had people ask me for advice, referred them here, then heard the spam made them decide not to post. I hope they figure out how to best keep the spam at bay!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:I hope they figure out how to best keep the spam at bay!
There's several lines of defence: include security questions, captcha codes, and so in in registration. Spam registrations on the forum where I'm admin dropped significantly when a question along the lines of 'Who started the "useful tips" section in the Welcome area?' Then get admin to approve all the registrations that get through - which takes a little time, but less than dealing with spam once posted. On this forum, banning signatures would be worth considering too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm another who has been on the verge of leaving the Board because of the spam. :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hup hup.. as you might have noticed... stuff is occurring.

Now, who would like to volunteer as a mod - basically the gig would be remove spam if you spot it and I'd give you a quick course in how to do that via PM or phone or whatevs.

I do have in mind people I'd like to do it but I wanna see who offers first as I don't want to make anyone feel pressured!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I check the forum throughout (my time zone's) day and could smash spam if you want my help.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14