Shaking head

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Shaking head

Post by JudyN »

Jasper had a funny episode this afternoon where his head was shaking - as in trembling, not as if he was dealing with an itchy ear - and held slightly to one side. OH noticed it while he was lying down, it was still there when he came into the other room to see me, but disappeared as soon as I'd thrown him a treat and given him a fuss. He's been fine ever since.

We had just come back from a wet walk, but he'd had a good towel down when he came in and it's not as if it's anything like as cold as it would be in winter.

Any ideas? Could he just have felt a little chilled, or could there have been some water in an ear which caused the slight lopsidedness? He had me worried for a moment.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
doglover4ever

Re: Shaking head

Post by doglover4ever »

Hi

just showed this to my husband, he said he has seen head shaking 5 times so far in his job and 4 of them have been due to an ear infection that was. however he said as since as you went for a walk if jasper came home wet then he said it could have been like a spasm as one of his clients dog was shaking his head and the vet said he had a spasm but he said this is rare. it could be an infection but again we are not health professional's and it could have been nothing.

hope your all ok
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you, doglover :D

I would imagine an ear infection would cause a more deliberate shaking, rather than a trembling - this was more what he does is scared/cold. But I would guess water in his ear could have caused a spasm of sorts - brain freeze, maybe :lol:
doglover4ever

Post by doglover4ever »

Hi JudyN

I asked my Husband and he said it sounds more like a head tremor and told me of a link I can give you http://www.vetneurochesapeake.com/index ... ad-tremors I have read it myself as I was interested and it says when you divert a dog having a tremor that it stops like what happened to jasper.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you - and say thank you to your husband for me :D Again, the movement was much smaller than in that video but otherwise it does sound similar. If it happens again, it will be interesting to see if it's after a wet walk again.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Perhaps a drop of water went in his ear.

This time of year especially it is easy for foreign bodies to get into ears but as he has stopped shaking it, it sounds as if whatever went in went out again.

Let's hope this is the last you see of it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS