Potty accident!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GoodPuppy

Potty accident!

Post by GoodPuppy »

Well, after 2 months of flawless house manners...I found some poop downstairs today.

Our dog has never messed in the house and we've been able to trust him for long intervals, so this was a shock and a disappointment.

It's been raining today, at times heavily. Hubby takes him out first thing in the morning and the dog always pees and usually poops. This morning he didn't. I had him out near noon and he still didn't go, although I have him opportunity. At that point it was still raining.

The dog never goes downstairs unless I am there, and mid afternoon or so, I went downstairs to do some laundry. I think that must have been when the dog pooped. I wish I had seen him and caught him before he did it. :( We went out for a long walk late afternoon and I was surprised he didn't poop then, and now I guess I know why.

I probably should have picked up the poo and disposed of it in the bushes outside the way I do when he poops in the yard. (We live in the country, forest on the edge of the yard.) But instead, I flushed it down the toilet and sprayed the carpet area with Lysol. I suppose that was all wrong.

I am hoping this is a one off thing, that he didn't go outside because he didn't like the rain and/or we didn't give him the opportunity. I guess when we go out, we'll have to close off parts of the house. We had let off on crate training because he just has too many problems as it is and I think he would panic in a crate.

So...correct way to handle this should it happen again?

(Not looking forward to having to tell hubby about this!)
Ari_RR

Re: Potty accident!

Post by Ari_RR »

Correct way to handle should it happen again - say nothing to the dog.
Clean up the poop... Beat yourself up when no one sees... But no reaction towards the dog, he will not associate it with the act of pooping. But even if he did (which he absolutely will not) - the point it not to teach him that pooping indoors causes punishment. The point is to train him to only poop outdoors... Which you achieve by taking him out, and staying out until he poops, or taking him out again if he doesn't the first time.

So... Perhaps need waterproof boots and jacket, or rain poncho, umbrella, hat... Perhaps even a raincoat for the dog. I put one on mine when we have to go outside in the rain, it helps a little bit...

That's all there is to it, IMHO :wink:
GoodPuppy

Post by GoodPuppy »

OK, I thought I had read somewhere about not scolding in these situations as the dog wouldn't connect it with his act of pooping indoors. I didn't say anything to the dog, I just quietly cleaned up. He's generally pretty regular with the poops, but not always, so I knew he hadn't gone today but by our afternoon walk, I figured for sure he would. I think I was just a bit too late with that walk.

And he can stop being a little diva when it rains, he won't melt. :) He wouldn't stay under my umbrella.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

You know the rule about potty accidents.

1. Grab a magazine or newspaper
2. Roll above in a tight club like shake
3. Beat self about head which chanting. I need to watch the dog.
4. Repeat step for until the message sticks

On a serious note, yeah don't make a big deal, but do clean it thoroughly.
GoodPuppy

Post by GoodPuppy »

:lol:
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

:lol:

Was his poop normal? perhaps he had an upset tummy.

My little chi x Libby hates the rain and I pop a coat on her and go out with her to make sure she goes.

Most dogs have an accident at some time or another so try not to worry to much .

Really agree about not saying any thing to a dog even if you catch them in the act. They can be put off pretty easily
and might start to avoid going in front of you .
Last edited by Dibbythedog on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoodPuppy

Post by GoodPuppy »

His poop was normal, thankfully, so it was easy to clean up. I think this was just a matter of rainy weather and poor timing on my part.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

GoodPuppy wrote:I think this was just a matter of rainy weather and poor timing on my part.
most likely. live, learn...