Barking dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lmcguire102

Barking dog

Post by lmcguire102 »

Hi
I have a westie(Eddie) who will be 3 in October. He has taken a dislike to a couple of dogs and also doesn't like when kids run about and take him by surprise. I have always used the treat method when training him and for about 2 months have been treating him with high value treats when we see dogs and children. He has progressed slightly but still has a problem with barking and lunging at the dog or person he sees as a theat. Does anyone have any further tips on helping Eddie and me have a more enjoyable walk and interaction with dogs and people? We bumped in to a dog and owner he doesn't like and Eddie started barking. The owner said that he would " punch him in the head and that would stop him barking"! I can tell that people think I cannot control Eddie and let him bark but it appears that opinion is that if I shout or react that Eddie will think I am joining in. I will never be someone who trains Eddie by fear or dominance so i hope that what I am doing will work! Any advice would be appreciated.
Liz
JudyN

Re: Barking dog

Post by JudyN »

You're probably just going a bit fast and pushing him beyond what he can cope with right now. For now at least, you need to accept that you're not going to get to chat to other people on walks and have him interact with other dogs - unless you know it's a person or dog he likes. Keep treating him when you see another person or dog, but from a distance, and then walk away. If he barks and lunges, you're far too close.

It's not for ever - I'm sure others more experienced than me will come along with more detailed advice :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
lmcguire102

Post by lmcguire102 »

Many thanks Judy. I will keep doing what I'm doing. He's a great dog and is worth the effort.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

If he is barking/lunging to the point were he will not re-direct for a treat or other distraction, then you are far too close to that which is triggering the barking. Shorten your interactions with people you meet along your walks to a quick sniff and move on. Keep all encounters positive.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

This isa common problem!
I have reactive dogs and have made progress by moving way before they react if that possible. If I am in the street I will hide behind a car or go back the way I came. I also do the" watch me " to distract them and give them a treat when they they hold my gaze for a few seconds. I've also used sheer bribery when I've held chicken or a treat in my fist in front of their noses and let them try to lick the chicken as this keeps them occupied .

I use treats but only when they are not barking , if they see a dog from a safe distance and are not barking , i will say quietly and give them the treat so they associate the word Quietly with not barking and a reward. Once Quietly has been reinforced and you are sure he knows it means not barking, you can use the command just before it looks like your dog will kick off and hopefully it will stop him.
While you are teaching your dog Quietly, dont make the mistake of saying it when he is actually barking.
Its a common mistake as some dogs will associate the word with the barking and think they are meant to bark when you say Quietly!

The quiet command has been reinforced with my two dogs so I can say quietly and they will stop barking but again if its a certain breed of dog and they are too close , the only thing I can do is retreat quickly !
It can take a bit of time and patience but you can improve your dogs behaviour . good luck !
lmcguire102

Post by lmcguire102 »

Thank you all for your advice. I think time and patience and me and Eddie will feel better about meeting all breeds and colours of dogs. I can see it sinking in with him but sometimes we have gone beyond the point of no return where a dog or person just appears out of nowhere. Think I may and try the car trick and take cover whilst the enemy walks by!
Thanks again.