What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Tails are tricky. If you are looking about for suitable padding for it, I recommend those long foam tubes you get for toe injuries, which are cut to size - but in the case of a greyhound tail, won't need to be cut all that much!

All the best for a swift recovery.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper gave me a scare this morning. He spotted a deer on Upton Heath, the first we've seen for a couple of years, and there he was gone, through some trees, over a hill, and out of sight.... I wasn't concerned, just gave him a few minutes to run out of steam, then called for him so he knew where I was. But then I heard a sharp bark/yelp... followed shortly by a clearly distressed bark/yowl :shock: Visions of cancelled holidays, 4-figure vet bills, several weeks' crate rest and resulting behavioural issues flashed through my brain as I ran (not something I do often!) to the source of the repeated desperate yowling, expecting to see at least one mangled leg.... only to find him on the wrong side of a fence, next to a gate, with no idea how to get back to me :lol: He was absolutely fine, and we headed to the nearest mud wallow so he could cool off.

I should have known better, really - his shriek of pain is much higher pitched and continuous :lol:

How he got on the other side of the fence is a mystery. Possibly he jumped it while chasing the deer, and only remembered later that he doesn't know how to jump over fences, or maybe he found a less securely fenced bit he could get through but it didn't occur to him to retrace his steps.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

:shock: That sounds terrifying Judy. I'm glad he's okay though and being foiled by a fence makes for an amusing story :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

my shift key is broken so sorry for the lack of capitalization and weird punctuation that will result!

hooray that jasper is alright!

tomorrow is going to have a high of 95f/35c, and we'll hit 97/36 by monday. :( add the high humidity, which is making my hair puff up not unlike delta's, and we're going to be just miserable. tomorrow, though, i've signed delta up for a swimming class - you can use their lifejackets, it's a clear, clean, shallow pool with plenty of supervision, so it's a good intro even if he'd probably take to the water like a duck - so hopefully that will tire him out a bit and we won't have to walk. if he likes swimming, until the heat breaks a bit i may just drive him down to the creek, throw a long line on him and let him have fun. :lol: most of his fetch toys claim to float, anyways, so we could try that too.

i'm dogsitting for various people almost constantly until mid-july. after the next stretch with ami and company, though, i'll be able to bring delta with me - first to rosie the goldendoodle, then to sofi and gali. he and rosie should get along like a house on fire, which will be fun. sofi takes a bit to warm up to him but they also get along alright; gali just likes to be left alone by them and also to yell at them for playing too much.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Today OH and I took the dogs a couple of states north for a Dog Scout Troop badge workshop on geocaching. I had informed the attendees ahead of time that I was bringing 2 DINOS and learned that most other dogs that would be attending were also DINOS. The troop leader teaches reactive dog classes, so this isn't surprising, and is one reason I enjoy outings with the troop. My dogs aren't the only crazy ones, and the other people understand.

We were told the room we were meeting in was really large and there should be plenty of space for everyone to spread out. Well, not quite. Okay, no where close. Fortunately it was cool enough to leave our dogs in their crates in the van with windows and doors open. Most of the other dogs see each other on a more regular basis, so my two were the big upsetting factor. There was one other dog there that was very much of the same mindset as Sirius. I thought it was good for OH to experience the dog barking and growling at him when he was standing up, but coming over to say hi and get pets, when he was sitting down.

Once we started moving and actually hunting for geocaches, things settled down a bit with Sky. I could see her becoming more relaxed with each stop. Sirius not so much however. She took exception to the presenter talking to us and was just generally not in a good mood. She seemed to quickly decide the presenter was enemy number 1, with most of the other dogs falling in behind. OH took her along for 3 of the finds, but after the second charge at the presenter, he decided he was through playing that game.

My dogs have gotten quite used to outings with samoyeds and I have noticed that they often seem more reactive towards non-samoyeds. Add in a few fellow reactive dogs in the group, none of which were samoyeds, and in hindsight, the trip may not have been the best idea. No bloodshed though and dogs are back at home and crashed.

The samoyed outing that was also scheduled for today was cancelled because of the heat and humidity. Which again points out to me that these dogs are not particularly well suited to this environment. My dogs were hot and happy to get back home to the air conditioning, but the outing was still possible weatherwise for them.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
bendog

Post by bendog »

So I have to clean under the babys chin several times a day because he's a chubster and milk/puke runs down his chin and collects in his fat rolls and gets sore if I don't clean it properly and I was reminded of Sweetie pug!
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

bendog wrote:So I have to clean under the babys chin several times a day because he's a chubster and milk/puke runs down his chin and collects in his fat rolls and gets sore if I don't clean it properly and I was reminded of Sweetie pug!
:lol: We're probably using the same baby wipes to it! Difference is, you'll do less of it as he ages, we'll do it more.

Enjoy your roly-poly!
bendog

Post by bendog »

There's no denying Poppy isn't an easy dog to live with sometimes. Especially with 3 other terriers and a baby to deal with as well. She's 4 this month and still can be hard work! Dealing with food guarding from other dogs is a hard thing to train out since it's such an ingrained behaviour.

But somehow that makes it even more rewarding when you see evidence that some of your training is paying off.

http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=20946

Posted in success stories as it got quite long!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had thought we were on top of Jasper's separation anxiety, but OH and I went out for a couple of hours this morning and when we got home DS2 (who had been sleeping off a festival) reported that he had been howling while we were out :x Just how many times do we have to go back to the drawing board?

He doesn't want to sleep with us any more :( Most evenings he goes up to sleep on our bed, but after he's been out for his bedtime wee he won't come back upstairs, even forgoing his bedtime chicken strip, and sleeps downstairs till the early hours. I'm guessing he finds it cooler down here. I just don't want him to relocate in the night and me to stand on him if I go to the loo in the dark because I'd probably lose my foot!
Erica

Post by Erica »

We have agility tomorrow :D so yesterday I made a boatload of dehydrated treats - chicken, pork, and beef. I need to get a good meat knife; I used the one at Ami's house (as I'm dogsitting them) and it was way WAY better than the knives I normally use for prepping Delta's food.

That, plus hot dog and cheese, should work for us. I'm excited!

In another week or so we'll be going over and staying with Rosie the goldendoodle from last summer. She's still stealing/eating socks and barking when she's left alone in the backyard...hmm, I wonder why that might be...she's pretty smart so she's probably bored out of her poor skull and wanting a bit of attention! :roll: At least she can have a good time while we're there, and maybe this time the "play with your dog" message will stick...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've won a competition! :dance:

The Lurcher Link rescue organisation rescued a very pregnant lurcher recently. As a money-raiser, they sold virtual tickets to get to name one of the pups, and I was one of the winners - I got to choose the name of a dark fawn boy. I've chosen McDuff, because being able to say 'Lead on, McDuff' when getting ready for a walk would have me smiling every single time :lol: Though it doesn't take much to amuse me :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That made me :lol:

McDuff is a lovely lurchery name, too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Being a pedant, I've changed the spelling to MacDuff, which I've realised is the original. I've also discovered that the original wording was 'Lay on, MacDuff', but I'm ignoring that detail :wink:

Apparently for a previous litter, someone chose the name of 'Mrs Cutie Pie' :shock: :lol: I bet the people who adopted her changed her name pretty quickly!

In other news, after 5.5 years, Jasper has learnt a hand signal for 'dead'. It only works if he's semi-recumbent already and I'm right next to him, and he's yet to link it to the word, but it just shows you should never give up :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ooo well done Judy! I agree with Mrs Cutie Pie though - not something I would want to be shouting all the time :lol:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

JudyN wrote:
Apparently for a previous litter, someone chose the name of 'Mrs Cutie Pie' :shock: :lol: I bet the people who adopted her changed her name pretty quickly!
Don't be so sure :lol:

Just joking - we'd have dropped the Mrs. Far too formal!