Surgical options

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Surgical options

Post by Nettle »

I'm glad that you have a clear path now, and have had time to discuss and decide. I hope all goes well, and keep with us during Sky's convalescence for cyber support, chocolate and anything else that helps! :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sky's Surgery reportedly went well. The mass was encapsulated so they were able to remove it entirely. We pick her up tomorrow.

A few snafus. I am having buyers remorse now that I have seen the paperwork from today and realized that while the local surgical center had a lower base price which included the consult and follow up, the center that we went to has pricing that is per item and doesn't include any follow up. The original paperwork I had looked at included the consult and a couple of x-rays which were taken during the consult. So I figured the remainder for the surgery would be lower due to those items already being paid for. The paperwork we received today was a higher base price and didn't include the consult or x-rays and stipulated that follow up and possible therapy visits are not included in the price quote. :shock: I didn't expect therapy to be covered, but did kind of expect routine follow up to be covered.

OH is fine with this. He didn't like the other vet. He isn't the one who has to figure out how to pay the bills and feed everybody too. :evil:

I asked OH last night if we were supposed to take food for Sky. Thinking that now that she is raw fed, she wouldn't be pleased to be offered some type of kibble, plus I know some places expect owners to provide food for their own dogs due to allergy concerns and such. OH didn't know. He looked some stuff up online, but apparently found nothing about that. I had thought that if we needed to provide food we could send along a can of sardines and tuna since raw would likely not be desired in a surgical practice. While I provided OH with the checkbook and instructions on how much to write the check for and to put the remainder on the credit card, I didn't think to suggest he take some food along as well, just in case.

Some of the paperwork he had to fill out when he dropper her off asked if he had brought food. He found this annoying as nothing was said about bringing food at the initial consult, nor when he called to schedule the surgery. He didn't have the thought to just run to a local store and buy something appropriate, or to call and ask me what I would suggest he buy to take for her to eat. So, I don't know what, if anything they may be attempting to give her to eat. Last time I tried to give her some kibble in a food puzzle, she wouldn't touch it. I don't know if she is still too drugged to even think about eating yet, or if they would give her something like cooked chicken. I tried calling the number that OH said they had given us to call, but that number is only answered during daytime business hours and at this point in time, it doesn't seem like calling the emergency number to ask if she has been fed and what and if she ate it is appropriate.

So, I guess I will call when they open in the morning and if necessary make an extra trip to take food for her. Sky isn't one to eat just anything, especially when she is stressed. I anticipate her not eating kibble, should that be what they give her to eat. Although, she might just be hungry enough after not eating for 24 hours to eat whatever she is offered.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's normal for animals to refuse food when they feel unwell anyway, and a few days without food won't harm her. Think of the fun you can have feeding her up again! :)

It sucks when you are always the one doing the logstics, but the main thing is that the worst is over. Money is money and any money is the same as any other money, but there is only one Sky. Your husband may have a good point that the 'cheaper' vet wasn't the better vet. And you have some useful information if you need to use eithe rpractice again.

)))))))))))))))HUGS((((((((((((((((((
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

I can't say if it's because of anything the vets did, but my sister got Marble and Jax desexed at a low-cost vet...and soon after (but after the clinic closed) Jax seemed anxious. By morning he was shaking and whining. Marble was also whining. Turns out both had infections at the surgery site and needed a course of antibiotics as well as the usual whatevers. None of the other dogs I know well had any issues like that - heck, Pip and Tal took painkillers for a day or two after surgery, and then without painkillers were still jumping up and bouncing around! When it comes to medical stuff, sometimes the cheaper option may be more expensive long-term.

I hope everything works out, though, and that Sky recovers well and quickly!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

We called and checked on Sky and she did eat. They gave chicken to her for her meal. We already have a follow up visit scheduled for Tuesday for a bandage change.

And you are right on the money aspect. I knew from the outset that going to the further away location would likely be more expensive in terms of time, gas usage on the vehicle, and just base pricing in general. I am a bit shocked at how much more expensive. But, you are also right that Sky is worth it. Now both dogs have to stay perfectly healthy for about 3 more years.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.