What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Yes, little Oliver was born on 26 April (which I only remember because it's also DS2's birthday) and they're doing great. She still claims she doesn't like babies in general, but she's clearly besotted with this one! There's been several pics of her walking the dogs with Oliver strapped to her front - it didn't take her long to get out and about again :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

Excellent! Glad mother and baby are doing well.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hope you feel better soon, gwd
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Best wishes for speedy healing GWD.

My daughter in law recently had this very same surgery and the next day had pictures of grandaughter and she enjoying ice cream at one of the local soft serve ice cream places. :shock: :shock:

I think she must have still been heavily medicated and her parents apparently came up with the scheme. I saw her about a week later and she said she was glad she still had her maternity pants and had practically crawled to the car that day for the ice cream run. :shock:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I hope you have a speedy recovery, gwd!
gwd wrote:Delta is growing up so fast! How in the hell has that happened?
I don't know :shock: it happens when my back is turned so I can never catch him in the act! (Also, your tip about leaving some fur untrimmed to help direct his pee downward has payed off - there is much less self-splattering now! :D)

I survived a very stressful few days. Where normally I don't double up on dogsitting, multiple miscommunications left me with seven (four households) dogs and two kids to take care of full-time for two days. Now I'm down to a relaxing three dogs and zero children for the rest of the weekend.

Delta started ignoring his breakfast again, so I switched the schedule around. Now we walk, rest for an hour, then eat. He seems to do better with this.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Sounds like you had a very chaotic few days Erica, I hope you enjoyed your quite ones after that :D

Laufey had his first agility class today and I couldn't be prouder. We had a couple moments where horse poop was more interesting than anything else and a moment where he decided he was brave enough to run off and attempt the seesaw on his own (he make it start falling, scared himself and jumped off) but he did brilliantly and much better than I was expecting. Also, just a very proud moment, our instructor commented on his excellent wait and I honestly don't know what to do with this because I am so so proud of this little puppy who was terrified I was going to leave him in a park but was also so distracted by other dogs. I really do love him to bits :mrgreen:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Della - the video of Laufey eating dandelions looks prefectly normal to me, not obsessive by the looks of his body language he's rather enjoying himself at the salad bar :D

Hope you feel better soon GWD, gentle walking is great for aiding recovery and there are some who say it may help prevent adhesions.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

How are you doing now, GWD?

Jasper decided on a walk up to the local school this morning, and spent ages sniffing in the long grass outside the playground. I'm not sure if it's all the smells of little children and possibly dropped crumbs & sweets, or the smells of strange (to him) dogs who join in the school run, but it certainly kept him occupied.

We walked back via a residential road where we often see a cat or two. Not so long ago this made it a no-go route, but now I can regard it as a 'training opportunity', as long as I've stocked up on sausage :wink: There was another obstacle down there this morning though... he suddenly noticed a dustbin lorry a long way down the road and ground to a halt (they sometimes make scary hissy noises!). I told him it was fine, he didn't have to get any nearer if he didn't want to, but I didn't want to head back the way we came. So we stood there for a while, Jasper not agitated as he felt far enough away from the lorry, but under no pressure to get nearer. After a while the lorry had moved a little further on and he was happy to go on again until he felt he was getting too close for comfort. So we stopped and waited again, me giving him a nice ear rub.

Eventually the lorry rounded the corner at the end of the road and we could carry on once more. He was a bit perturbed when we were close to the junction and the lorry reappeared, reversing back across the end of the junction to go in the other direction, but again I kept the pressure off and he was OK to wait until he felt confident to move on. The odd bit of sausage helped, but I didn't give him too much as I didn't want to reward him for 'being brave' but just communicate that he only had to do what he felt confident to do. It felt good :D
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:There was another obstacle down there this morning though... he suddenly noticed a dustbin lorry a long way down the road and ground to a halt (they sometimes make scary hissy noises!). I told him it was fine, he didn't have to get any nearer if he didn't want to, but I didn't want to head back the way we came. So we stood there for a while, Jasper not agitated as he felt far enough away from the lorry, but under no pressure to get nearer. After a while the lorry had moved a little further on and he was happy to go on again until he felt he was getting too close for comfort. So we stopped and waited again, me giving him a nice ear rub.

Eventually the lorry rounded the corner at the end of the road and we could carry on once more. He was a bit perturbed when we were close to the junction and the lorry reappeared, reversing back across the end of the junction to go in the other direction, but again I kept the pressure off and he was OK to wait until he felt confident to move on. The odd bit of sausage helped, but I didn't give him too much as I didn't want to reward him for 'being brave' but just communicate that he only had to do what he felt confident to do. It felt good :D
We had a very similar encounter with a mini cement truck this morning! Honey's fear is quite strong so if she'd insisted on going a different direction I would've but she wanted to get home herself so we waited as it did it's maneuvers and I was super impressed by how she handled it with out getting upset :D It did feel good :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, it would have been different if the dustbin lorry had been coming towards us :lol: As it was moving away from us, part of my reasoning was that as Jasper was watching it it would get further away and so in his eyes his situation would gradually get better - scary thing becoming less scary has to be a good thing.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Just had my post-surgical check up. They all but gave me a gold star to put on my fridge for the awesome healing! I'm now cleared to do whatever I feel up to doing. I failed to tell her that I'd shown a borzoi on Sunday. It was a smallish sized ring so I figured I could make it around without making the dog look too bad. Clearly the judge didn't notice I wasn't quite at top speed as we won.

After years, seriously, years of a twinging, nagging pain in my upper right quadrant, I'm now seeing the soothing light at the end of the tunnel. (hope it's not a freight train coming my way). It still twinges now and again but I'm getting huge blocks of the day were I'm totally, and completely pain free. The air seems cleaner, the birds are singing more sweetly and the sun looks brighter! Chronic nagging pain just wears on you.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

WufWuf wrote:Della - the video of Laufey eating dandelions looks prefectly normal to me, not obsessive by the looks of his body language he's rather enjoying himself at the salad bar :D
Thanks for the input :D I feel like he's got quite an obsessive personality so sometimes worry that he's going to really fixate on something to the point of an OCD-like compulsion but I don't have the experience necessary to really determine if it's just his "normal" to fixate or if it really is going too far. He does love a good munch at the salad bar and I often tell him people are going to think he's a cow instead of a dog :lol: (I don't know if this makes me look stranger than he is but never mind :wink: )

Gwd, I'm glad you're feeling better, times where you're pain-free sounds like a brilliant improvement so I hope it continues for you :mrgreen:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Very impressive Jasper and Honey. :D

Dogs have been rather bored around here lately. Between the humans running errands, the humans being exhausted from re-arranging furniture to make a safe room for Sky to recuperate from surgery in, and the weather hitting a ridiculously hot streak, thunderstorms and rain, the dogs went 6 days in a row without walks. It seemed a tad cooler this evening so even though OH was feeling poorly, I got Sky out for a nice walk at the quiet park across town that was actually fairly quiet for a change. I had also managed to get both dogs out this morning for a short circuit of the park behind the house. They hadn't gone very far when they were both panting. We only went 3/4 of a mile and it was enough for all of us.

Sirius got a bonus dinner tonight. It seems that OH fed her while I was out with Sky. For some reason the sight of one of the dog dishes sitting in the sink didn't register with me that a dog had been fed. :oops:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I'm supposed to be revising for tomorrow's exam but I'm also talking to someone about front clip harnesses. If you do a google images search for "front clip harness" a lovely picture of Ari comes up so I just thought I'd share this little bit of useless information :mrgreen:
Erica

Post by Erica »

I can't remember seeing that picture but it's really funny! He's investigating a turtle, looks like.

Delta does have a very minor ear infection - just barely worth treating according to the vets - so we're treating him with a liquid drop for now and I'll start ear plucking after this treatment is over. I was hoping he would be the kind of dog that didn't need plucking because it seems painful, but so are ear infections! The meds we got apparently will help calm down the irritation after plucking too, so hopefully there's some left after and we can keep it for that purpose.

The funny thing is his left ear is the one bothering him more (well, he paws at me when I flip it and look at it) but his right ear has the more prevalent infection. I'll try rnor's water/vinegar concoction on his left (vets also said that would be a way to clean his ears every now and then, as an alternative to ear cleansers) and the drops on his right.

I have to say, I am very very happy with my vets. They gave me several options and explained things well.

BUT - to me the most important part - afterwards, we walked to the car, he peed on a tree, then when I opened the car door for him, he walked into position instead of backing away! And when I gave him a treat in the back seat, he ate it! :D

Friday we'll be doing a really cool-sounding enrichment walk at the nearby dog pool/agility/nosework/everything center. They will have obstacles set up on their indoor track for dogs and owners to play with/train around. I'm hoping the place is as great as it sounds, because there are lots of other activities there that I'd like to try. The obstacle walk thing is only $5, and there's a hide-and-seek session for $7 (you stay with your dog but look for people and toys and stuff in a "maze") on other days. I think Delta is finally able to ride for 30 min, so it's within reach. :) I took him to kiddo's soccer tryouts on Monday, and he was fine in the 15 min car ride there, and also on the 20 min ride back to kiddo's house and the 10 minutes back to my house right after.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14